Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welding and Engine Rebuilding

Spark notes
    1. Looking for good online welding resources, how hard is it to learn?
    2. Engine rebuilding, a hard thing or just long and meticulous with the right tools?

Hello,

I made this thread with two topics to keep the forum clutter down. I have a midterm break in university coming up so I am going to do some car research in that time. I'm also closing in on graduation (April) with a degree and I may have a job lined up for when I finish.

The first questions is about welding. Growing up my Dad always had projects going on and from time to time I would get to use are regular welder that uses welding rods. I never made any structural welds or anything important, but it was my first introduction to welding. Since summer is approaching, I'm hoping to have my car back on the road and I’ll be returning home for a quick break, I'll have access to a MIG, Bronzing and regular welder. I know a lot of welding is practicing welds, but are there any good online research which I could read through? (And I will be researching, just wondering if there is on in particular that is good). My end goal would be exhaust work which I know is a difficult thing to do. But I'm fairly competent and I'm pretty good with my hands.

The second question is about engine rebuilding. I currently have an M50 in my car (still needs an intake elbow and a coolant flange) and although it's not complete I'm already thinking about future projects. During the summer I intend to get new wheels, coilovers, skid plate, short shifter and akg poly bushings. If everything goes as planned I'll be storing my car again next winter and starting another chapter on its build. This is a fairly broad topic, and like welding I'll be doing a lot of research on it myself but wanted to ask r3v the question first. How difficult is it to rebuild an engine?

My plan is to get a stand and stick the m50 on it and have it somewhere indoors so I can sit in a heated area and take my time on it, clean each part as needed, power coat some things and make it look good. The engine only has 77k miles on it and seems to be in good shape. I know engine rebuilding is a lot of specific torque limits, a lot of precise measurements and that jazz. But if I had the parts and tools as well as a Bently bible at my side, is it hard or just meticulous?

Cheers,
    Aaron
    r3vlimited Lanyard Group Buy!!!

Posted this in the wrong section... meant to put it in general. Could a mod kindly move this over there? Thank you.

Comment

Rebuilding an engine is not difficult. It is just very meticulous and time (and money) consuming. Just take the time to measure everything properly and you shouldn't run into any problems.
      -Alex

Comment

I just downloaded some instructional welding videos arc mig and tig. I learned a lot its like drinking through a fire hose though.

Comment

Any links to said video?

Comment

this is what I use to refresh people on welding:

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

Just watch that video and the advanced one

Great stuff! I might be heading home for a quick break, I'll be trying this out. Quick question, if you hear a popping sound does that mean there isn't enough gas around or you're not getting enough heat penetration? Or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by A_Whelan View Post
                Just watch that video and the advanced one

Great stuff! I might be heading home for a quick break, I'll be trying this out. Quick question, if you hear a popping sound does that mean there isn't enough gas around or you're not getting enough heat penetration? Or something else?
                gas is a shielding and makes for cleaner welds, for me I've found I've not got the best contact or my heat is too high/low.

Remember, it's better to be slow and clean than quick and dirty, don't be afraid to keep your wire speed and power low, at least you can work up.

You definitely are going to have your work cut out for you (literally) if either is too high.

Also, get test pieces of metal that's the same alloy and thickness before tackling your first project so you can practice your tacks, spot welds, and beads.
                Last edited by ScHpAnKy; 02-16-2012, 04:25 PM.

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

I just recently learned to weld. A couple years ago they did a pretty decent how to weld spot on the Powerblock Xtreme 4x4. I used the techniques I learned about there plus some common sense and started practicing with some scrap stuff with a small Hobart mig with fluxcore wire (no gas yet). If you follow the instructions on the welder for power settings you should be good. I am no pro but I think my welds are structural, and I can always grind them clean.
                  sigpic

Comment

Looks like I'll be heading home so I'll try my hand at the mig with scrap metal. Maybe I'll try to make something for the 325i with m50 swap. Any brave suggestions?

Comment

Im just finishing up my Associates in Welding Technology, and to be honest taking 15 months and putting it towards specialized schooling for it has helped me ten fold (obviously).

My advice to you is to practice practice practice. Also on the AWS (American Welding Society) website there is a schedule of welding fairs and shows, those are quite fun. You might also look into actually buying welding instructional videos.

Im currently certified in 4g MIG/TIG/Stick and 6G Pipe using all processes as well. Hands on and practice has helped me out tremendously.

The popping you are hearing would be that your wire speed is too fast in accordance with your amperage. Basically 16.5 (amperage) and 175 (speed) is always a good starting amperage and wire speed on any Mig welder.

Comment

Originally posted by A_Whelan View Post
                        Looks like I'll be heading home so I'll try my hand at the mig with scrap metal. Maybe I'll try to make something for the 325i with m50 swap. Any brave suggestions?
                        strut braces, front and rear :)
                        it's easy, cheap, fun, and good practice

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

Working...
                        X