No announcement yet.

MT I Project Complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love everything you've done to it! Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by xphiledan View Post
      MT1 > all
      details on this suspension & exhaust?
      Don't know much other than, "the exhaust and suspension on the car cost $1k each"--quoted from seller and verified (as to the age of the suspension and exhaust (new)) when accomplishing the MTI. I think the suspension is your standard Bilstein/H&R upgrade, but I could be wrong. One thing is certain, with this suspension, the car DOES NOT like to slide/drift when asked to accelerate in aggressive turns. It will, however, give a nice squat and very little warning it is proceeding in the direction you were pointing as you struggle to get your face off the window under G <a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point>. I will ask the previous owner to see if he knows more details. As for the exhaust, if you start up the car in the garage it sounds like Jaba the Hut is clearing his throat; when you rev it up, it sounds as if a fight is imminent.

Again, I will shoot the previous owner a message to see if he remembers better details about the exhaust and suspension--all good things to know when listing what has been done to the car.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments... What is the alternative for removing "es", and should I expect some paint imperfections behind what used to be the "es" when I suppose it will then just say "325"?

Comment

Originally posted by mathetas View Post
        As for the exhaust, if you start up the car in the garage it sounds like Jaba the Hut is clearing his throat; when you rev it up, it sounds as if a fight is imminent.

Comment

Originally posted by Huff View Post
          I would ditch the ES.
          +1

Just a little lower and this thing would be damn near perfect.

Comment

Beautiful M Tech 1! Such a stunning ride.

I, too, have an 86 zinno es. I have been fantasizing for years about delving into the m tech bumper/valance arena, but the cost and the fact that I'd have to ditch the es front valance, which I'm very fond of, keeps me from doing so. IMO, it is one of the most beautiful front ends of the E30 model year run. It would be a sacrilege to remove it.
            I'm also afraid that once I fit the euro bumpers and get to the point of no return, that I wouldn't like the look. Because, to my knowledge, you limit yourself to the basic euro front valance(which leaves a lot to be desired), the alpina one, and, of course, the m tech 1 valance. Two of which are very rare and difficult to get your hands on, not to mention pricey.

I figure keep the es the way it is, but throw on some euro weaves, a nice drop, and an m tech 2 steering wheel and call it a day. I have toyed with the idea of keeping the front es valance/diving board front, but tucking it(which I promised myself I'd never do) and then remove the rear diving board in favor of a euro bumper, which makes it look like it has a bigger rear valance than the regular diving board bumper does. I think it could look good if done correctly, but I don't want a car with a hodgepodge of parts with an identity crisis.

Anyway, I applaud your commitment and steadfastness on procuring all of the pieces necessary. It truly is such a beautiful, individualistic car. One question, why not paint the mirrors? I think it would tie it all up nicely.

Comment

100% TRUE. hope to see you whore this out at a few meets. very nice.

Originally posted by mathetas View Post
              MT I was a very painful find... Originally, the deal was cherry. Found a place in Europe (our version of a junk yard) that had these parts listed "complete". I should write a sticky on a very important set of facts when procuring pieces for this project because the devil is in the details. So, back to the cost, originally, it was around $1400 shipped for "Mint M3 MT1 Kit and Mint Eurobumpers". Not a bad deal as these parts are getting VERY hard to find in decent condition. Start this documentary in October, and then fast forward to mid-January... Yeah, that is how long it took the dude to actually make good on this "deal". Another thing, go ahead and add another $875 dollars to that $1400 whenever it was evident the "Mint" bumpers would require sandblasting and re-chroming, and all the "trim" pieces I thought would work would eventually not work because every piece of that bumper set MUST be M-Technic trim in order to provide snap in clearances when installing. Otherwise, it looks terrible or simply won't fit at all. You do, however, have the option to modify the pieces of the standard Euro trim into M-Tech pieces by getting creative with a saw, fiberglass, sand paper, primer and OEM black trim paint. In the end, I have custom trim pieces and a really straight MT 1 kit, new guts and connectors for the fitment and re-chromed and re-conditioned Eurobumpers for around $2.3k. I feel a bit foolish to admit that, but it is finished. My advice would be to set the expectation around the $1500 mark and let that be your "Mint" bar. If the condition is less than mint, good luck, because some pieces could be beyond feasible repair. One man's opinion (based on experience).

Comment

Very nice work. Looking at your photos it appears that your rear valance is the type that accommodates the exhaust directed straight back instead of angled toward the corner. I believe BMW made these in 2 versions for different applications. Does anyone know which MT-1 equipped models came with which rear valance version? I have been acquiring MT-1 parts for my next build and now have one of each, both oem. The angled version seems appropriate for my application (87 325is), but I'm curious what factory applications utilized the straight version.

Comment

Originally posted by DJMCGARM3 View Post
                  Looking at your photos it appears that your rear valance is the type that accommodates the exhaust directed straight back instead of angled toward the corner. I believe BMW made these in 2 versions for different applications. Does anyone know which MT-1 equipped models came with which rear valance version? I have been acquiring MT-1 parts for my next build and now have one of each, both oem. The angled version seems appropriate for my application (87 325is), but I'm curious what factory applications utilized the straight version.
                  This is the only MT1 I know of (Euro Real OEM link): http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...79&hg=51&fg=15

JeST had a recent and similar project with an angled exhaust--Levent and his dudes made it look perfect. We modified the hangar on my exhaust to allow it to center up in the slot. Personally, I feel as if the angled exhaust (like JeST's) looks better. I was simply working with what I had. However, unless I am way out to lunch, I think there is only ONE MT1, genuine OEM rear apron for the early model e30's.

Comment

There is only 1 Tech I rear valance. It's made for non angled tips.
                    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

I was just looking here and wonder if this copy is what you might be referring to...

Weird, an hour ago they had VERY GOOD pictures of this item, but now they are removed. I noticed very little space between the edge of the apron and the exhaust hole, and it almost looked as if it would accommodate an angled exhaust better. However, I will defer to agreeing with my distinguished colleague above (M-technik-3), there is only one MT1 OEM piece and it fits straight exhaust tips.

Comment

Working...
                      X