Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is jealousy.

Originally posted by blunttech
    Dude this is r3v. 20 bucks gets you a used timing belt or a low mileage head gasket

Comment

The last step for the doors is to replace the vapor barrier between the door and the door panel.

The OEM setup is a vinyl sheet held in place with butyl rope and the door card itself had a piece stapled in place. Both of the OEM pieces will be removed and replaced with 1/8" thick Dynaliner.

I measured out a panel of 1/8" thick Dynaliner and proceeded to stick the top edge in place and cut openings for the door handles and wires that needed to poke through.

Easiest method to apply the liner is to start at the top, lift up the tail end of the material and then slowly peel back the paper backing and smooth the liner in place

Applied small pieces of Dynamat to stop certain parts of the inside door from vibrating. Since there is no speaker mounted in the door not much Dynamat is required.

This is why you make a template and not eyeball cuts

The rear door piece was not as straightforward as there were some odd angles that needed to be included, so a template was made

The door lock pin is connected to this metal rod so the adhesive backing can't stick to it, otherwise it will prevent the door lock pin from working

So I decided to leave some of the paper backing in place to act as a barrier

The door cards all clipped back into place very snug with the 1/8" Dynaliner in place. I would not suggest using the 1/4" version as you would have a problem reinstalling the door card as the foam would be pushing the panel out.

The adhesive used on the Dynaliner is forgiving enough that you can peel the material back to access the inside of the door panel at any time without making a mess AND it will stick back on afterwards.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

I got a ride in this car this week...I have to say it was impressive! Surprisingly enough, even with all this dynamat, the car is still quite loud. In my opinion it was the perfect amount of comfort and aggressiveness.

You sure have one hell of a car! can't wait to see it when everything's all finished up!
        320I - under construction

Comment

Good work sir. And people call OCD a disease...ha!

Comment

I want to go on a triple date with cars...nicely done.

Comment

Nina was the very first Gutenparts build and I very much regret letting her go for that e34 M5.

I acquired the touring to help me forget about Nina, however, in order to do so I will need the boys at Gutenparts to work their magic touch. I know once Levent and Joel are done that Betty will be even sweeter than she is now.

She left Canada for the USA on Friday and is now currently in Deadwood, SD.

ETA for delivery is October 15.
              Last edited by MC Hammered; 10-08-2012, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Wow! West to east way are you getting done?
                Follow my IG @bouchezphotography

Comment

West to East and back again before the end of November.

Some people will question why I would go to such an extreme instead of going to a local shop.

But no one has a treasure chest of goodies like Levent and having tasted his handiwork with Nina there is really no where else I could consider.

Comment

We are excited to have her. For the locals stay tuned there will be a photo shoot with 5 e30 tourings which we own or service.
                    Galen's slick top s14 touring
                    Gutens touring
                    Christians touring
                    Robs (ex Ron Perry) Touring
                    And Winston's touring.
                    sigpic
                    New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                    %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Damn^^^ Very nice Levent!
                      Follow my IG @bouchezphotography

Comment

She went to visit the Corn Cob Palace in SD and how on her way to Sparta, WI

Comment

Oh man, that wagon is sick. Way jealous.

Comment

Betty is now in Hershey, PA checking out one of the largest antique auto part swap meets and the Hershey chocolate factory.

Comment

Betty is here at Guten, just arrived. 3000 mile delivery, will start on her tomorrow. Let the "while we are in there, while it is here" begin.
                              Attached Files
                              sigpic
                              New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                              %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

so surreal seeing this unicorn-like car (this example in particular) in a very familiar setting :D

E46t

Comment

Working...
                                X