No announcement yet.

agent's build thread: Klaus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

could'be worse if it was the quarter panel. Best of luck!

also, did you get a chance to try out the chrome trim restore from classic trim?

Comment

Yep, and for the price I have to say I'm pretty impressed. Pictures taken using my phone inside my garage simply don't do justice to any of the work that's been done. I hope to get enough accomplished this weekend to bring it out of there - and maybe even drive it. If that happens I'll take some shots of the rain gutter piece (which has been treated) right next to the door sill piece (which has not yet and before I do it) which will show a good comparison.
      Originally posted by kronus
      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Just a little more progress. The Ryan G splitter is on the ground - just trying to get a basic idea how it will look.

Comment

chris, whats your trick to gluing the headliner edges against pinchweld areas such as the door and windshield?

I used rubber cement but it doesn't seem to hold very well.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
            chris, whats your trick to gluing the headliner edges against pinchweld areas such as the door and windshield?

I used rubber cement but it doesn't seem to hold very well.
            We used DAP Contact cement, it's time consuming but it works great.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
              We used DAP Contact cement, it's time consuming but it works great.

what was your process? brush it on and slap it onto the pinchweld? did you clamp anything down?

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                what was your process? brush it on and slap it onto the pinchweld? did you clamp anything down?
                Lightly apply the contact cement to the fabric and the chassis, wait 15 min, then carefully press the two together. You don't really get any second chances with it, but it holds great, I've used a similar contact cement when I did convertible tops as well. It took a while to do b/c we did little sections at a time and the 15 min wait really adds up when you apply the headliner in 10-12 little sections to avoid wrinkles/stretching/sagging.

Comment

aw dammit all. i forgot about the 15 min wait between bonding. am i totally screwed or is it possible to redo?

Comment

well you should be able to wipe the glue off the metal with solvent, but i suspect the fabric will be the deciding factor on whether you can get a "do-over".

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
                      It took a while to do b/c we did little sections at a time and the 15 min wait really adds up when you apply the headliner in 10-12 little sections to avoid wrinkles/stretching/sagging.
                      Yeah but I think you'll agree it really came out great. :mrgreen:

We'll get some pictures of everything with some proper photography equipment once we get the last bits in and on the car here in the next week or so, and after I get the glass installer's error on the trunk repainted.

Comment

Found an armrest rear seat at the yard yesterday. 303 is amazing stuff! The headrests themselves are pretty trashed, though the seat base and back both cleaned up well...

Today I reinstalled the pop-outs, the B-pillar trim, the passenger window, the door handles and the rear cards. And I put the RGPs on the car for the first time. Yes I know it's 4x4 right now, but I don't think I'll have time to install the suspension before the Brodeo.

Comment

That thing has come along nicely...
                          sigpic
                          mods: just meat and potatoes under the hood and wheaties on fire out back ;)

Comment

any plans with the DB's? polish? tuck?

btw, loving the work, car looks great
                            1985 325e - a cheap work in progress
                            http://myquest4happiness.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TS87325IS View Post
                              That thing has come along nicely...
                              Thanks TS!

Originally posted by Insane E30 View Post
                              any plans with the DB's? polish? tuck?
                              Just the Classic Trimcoat aluminum trim restoration stuff for the time being. My opinion on tucked DBs is "should have bought a late car."

Originally posted by Insane E30 View Post
                              btw, loving the work, car looks great

Comment

I wish you paint matched the bumper shrouds. Did it to my car & never looked back since. Most definitely the best exterior mod to the e30 DB. Oh and I half tucked & polished my bumpers. (FYI polishing bumpers is a PITA, unless u got power tools) Anyways coming along nicely.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                                DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Working...
                                X