Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meet "Inki" the eta and her sad story (now with a happy ending!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subscribed. Any updates op?

1984 318i (w/ delicious M50 powa)
    Produktionsdatum: 03.10.1983
    Außenfarbe: Achatgruen Metallic (177)

Comment

That right rail is kinked, bad. From the pics, looks like the right lower rail assembly, right apron, and radiator support all need to be replaced...Not surprised the insurance company totalled it, you have a LOT of structural damage. Even if the shop is able to straighten that frame rail, it still does not mean that it is safe. The metels used to build the rails are not meant to be straightened, they need to be replaced. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do

Comment

The insurance company is required to give you fair market replacement cost for your vehical. Get online and find 10 or so examples of comprable e30s. Shouldnt be to hard to find um in the 5-7k range. Present them to the insurance company and take mid range of what youve presented. Its a battle you can win you just have to prove your cars worth. Buy your car back from the insurance co. And rebuild. Use the remaining cash to get a clean daily.

Comment

when im back from thanks giving vacation , id be happy to send you what ever parts i have that can help you. pm me your shipping info
          it will be on my dime because i hate to see someone's pride and joy get taken away from them

Comment

wtf did I just read? Felt like I was reading some adoption ad for a puppy.
            ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
            ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
            ~ '87 535
            ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
            ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Stock eta with destroyed front end.....GOod luck but you should be looking for another car.

Comment

Chapter 5 - The finale

Geez - I just realized that I suck at finishing stories.

We decided to go forward with the repairs. The front right section of frame rail had to be amputated and a new replacement was welded in. Then on to the frame rack she went to pull everything back into specification. The right front wheel had been shifted back about a half inch and there was some buckling in the "phantom" battery tray that had to be addressed. Added to the mix was a new right fender, front valance and a previously loved Schwarz hood. The guys at the frame shop really worked their magic and we left there with a nice straight car.

Then on to the paint shop. The hood had been resprayed a few too many times, so down to bare metal it went.

We brought her home a few days later and started the process of sourcing the other needed parts:

We also took the opportunity to eliminate the coat hangers holding on the front lip and replacing with a proper set of brackets:

And around the end of September 2012, we finally got her finished and restored to her factory look:

Since that time, a repaint of the front lip, a front parking light mod, a replacement set of ellipsoids, a revised suspension and a set of basketweaves has kept us busy and has made her even better looking than before! This is how she looks today:

And best of all she drives straight as an arrow and there is no permanent damage to her.

Some closing thoughts:

It was a nightmare to work with the other person's insurance company. It took months of researching similar cars, nasty emails, phone calls and the threat of legal action to get them to an amount that I could live with. Even with doing all the assembly / disasesembly myself I wound up a few hundred dollars on the negative side. I could have gone either way with this car, but the sentimental value won out. Fight for your E30 if you're in a similar situation someday. These cars are increasing in value!

Thanks to the greater r3v community for your ideas and support. If I bought parts from you, THANKS!

The satisfaction of returning Inki to the road and what it did to build the bond between myself and my sons during this project cannot be measured. I wouldn't hesitate to take kind of project on again.

And finally, sequels are in the works. Last week I scored and hauled home an 87 Dephin IS coupe and a 89 Diamond Schwarz IX coupe, both non-running. Stay tuned!

Happy R3ving!
                Last edited by 101; 04-23-2014, 06:41 PM. Reason: spelling

The E30 collection:
                1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
                1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
                1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
                1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
                1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
                1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
                1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
                2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
                2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

I feel for you about the insurance. What about getting classic car insurance?

1990 325i Coupe Auto
                  1987 325i Cabriolet Manual (sold)
                  1989 325i Cabriolet Auto (sold)
                  1991 325i Coupe Auto (sold)
                  1991 325i Cabriolet Manual (sold)
                  1991 325i Coupe Auto (sold)
                  1990 325i Sedan Auto (sold)
                  1984 318i Coupe Auto (sold)

Comment

I actually have Hagerty on another car ... but they won't add any driver to the policy that has less than 5 years driving experience or if they have any blemishes on their driving record. Plus they have strict garaging requirements and will not insure a daily driver.

Definitely would if I could!

The E30 collection:
                    1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
                    1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
                    1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
                    1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
                    1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
                    1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
                    1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
                    2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
                    2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Congratulations on your fight, so glad to see one saved! Enjoy that classic BMW...

Comment

Wow props to you. I wouldn't have saved it if my frame was like that... I'm scared enough to buy a e30 with none matching panels all around

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
                        1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
                        1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
                        1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
                        1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
                        1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
                        Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
                        1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
                        1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Working...
                        X