Da Ring.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Da Ring.

well, It all began with a Birthday present from the wife. 9 laps on the Nürburgring!!!!!

Well, My M tech II car has had a very changing life in the last few years, from beater, to turbo, to now a 2.7 with a bunch of stuff. The car has never been driven farther than about 20 miles round trip since I've owned it, so I figured it was time to put it on the lift and go through everything.

the motor.. 2.7 block, 885 i head with IE larger valves and a bit of honing, Alpina 280 sumthin(schrick) cam, Hartge headers, Cometic headgasket, Alpina chip, 3,91 Visco dif., all poly mounts, adj. cam gear7° retarded, re-ringed and bearings about 5,000 miles ago.

some pics of the suspension work that went into it.

Here we are at work doing a last allignment on the car after poly everything in the rear with adjustable rear subframe, and a 5 lug swap that was done a few years ago. finally recieved the compete M coupe front knuckles and brakes too.

parked next to the work ride.

Well, the wife also called (EURO3) Dave and made sure he could come along for the fun too. plans were made and we set out to do the roughly 800km trip. BTW, Dave just put about 200 miles on his fresh rebuilt S14, so this was gonna be the test to see if it holds up or not.

So, off we went, took the mandatory at the gas pump R3v pic. Heres Daves U.S. spec 1988 M3.

We made it to the ring without a single hick-up!!!! not bad for the maiden journey for both cars.

Arrived and went straight to the track to try to figure out how everything works. Showed up, and who was doing some kind of filming right at the entrance? Sabine.

made it, gotta get a pic in the parkinglot.

I booked a room for the 2 of us at the Tiergarten hotel, this is the hotel that Sabine Schmitz (ring taxi chick) parents own, with the famous steak on a hot stone restaurant in the basement (Pistonklause), damn was it good steak and beer!

room even had a pic of a DTM e30m3 in it!!

drove around the track to see some scenery. WTF???? A bus on the ring!

Last edited by mikeedler; 07-22-2012, 09:28 AM.

well, we decided we were going to try to make a few runs since the weather started to clear and the roads were drying. What a mistake, brand new yokohama tires on a wet track= no fun at all!

as soon as the gate opened, it didn't even take 30 seconds, and it started raining cats and dogs!!!!!!! What a wake up call to see just how bad my tire choice was, as well as how unballance my brakes are.

recognize the dash top? Me riding with Dave.

We ended up making 3 laps apiece 1 in the rain, 1 on scary as hell partial wet track, and 1 cool run in the dry. decided to call it a day, and wait for the next day to roll around. My wifes boss was going to meet up with us that evening with his car-- he has already done a ton of drivers training and wanted to explain a bit to us about the track.
    Jims ride.

The 1M I posted on here that I did a ton of work to also showed up to make a few laps with us

here is the only pic I have of it. He left early to go home because they kicked him off the track after the 3rd lap for the car being too loud.

Day 2. we found out the track doesn't open until 2:30PM, so we decided to do a bit of sightseeing and such.

not too often a U.S. M3 is infront of that building.

this left the M test center as we were checking out the building. an X6M

a bit of the area.

It was starting to get closer to openng time, so we decided to head back and see what was brewing up at the entrance.

EVERYONE was on this guys nuts the whole day any of you Jap. car guys know who this is?

there was a ton of crazy ass cars there, here's a few of the interesting cars to me, Audi R8 and porsches and such weren't even interesting anymore.

believe it was an EVO II

well, the track opened up and I decided I wanted to ride along in the GTR for the first round. we were the 4th car on the track, so it was EMPTY and dry, wow!!!!!!

after that round, went to get my car, and track closed due to an accident with a car and motorcycle........... end of the day, was time to head back home.

shot a few pics as we left

and back home safe, not a single problem!!!

a few pics I found on the net.

part 2 is def. to come in the next month or so, I still have 6 laps to run. I def. learned out of the complete trip, I am nowhere near as good of a driver as I had always thought, and that the Nürburgring is insane, nothing but uphill blind corners for 21km.
    Last edited by mikeedler; 07-22-2012, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Living my dream...
      Very Jelly

Awesome car :up:

Comment

Looks like Tarzan Yamada. Time Attack world champ. Met him at an event at VIR a few years back.
        --Will

Comment

awesome writeup!

Comment

Looks like a great trip! Where in Germany are you? I live about 40 mins away from the Ring...
            sigpic'87 335i

Comment

I'm in Bamberg, a really long drive.

oh and if some of you are wondering why I didn't take my M3, all cars have to have a reg. registration for them, and my M3 hasn't been registered since 1992, I drive it on dealer plates when it gets driven.

Comment

Thanks for sharing that journey !

(also hella jelly)
                -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

seems like a cool roadtrip .. wheel specs on dave's car!... and how do you bring a car too loud to the effing Nürburgring!?
                  ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)Be Afraid Of The Future

Comment

Wow! Those salad shooters look great! Are you running the 16x8.5's square? What size tires?

I can't wait to make it out to The Ring sometime...hopefully it is still around :\

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

are you running the 8.5s in front and rear? Are you 5 lug swapped or adapters? Fitment is perfect on your car.
                      2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
                      (Daily Driver)
                      Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
                      KW V2 Coilovers
                      VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

looks tons of fun

e24 e9 e30
                        IG: peterkaczynski

Comment

Your car has singlehandedly made me love C4 wheels on an e30.

Comment

Nice, did you say anything to sabine?
                            I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
                            Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

yeah, I am running 8,5 front and rear, with 225/40/16. The car is 5 lug swapped, M coupe front, and 323i compact rear. I actually cranked the car quite a bit up before going, I wanted to drop into the karussell no matter what!!!

actually they are really strict about alot at the ring. The 1M has a complete straight thru exhaust on it, nothing but pipe from front to rear.

Never said anything to Sabina, didn't know what to say, should have told her R3V thinks you have a nice azz or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X