X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy fuck. That is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterE30 View Post
      well handling isnt quite the greatest, but i use the car as my dd so its just fine for me. its got a set of H&R springs which seem to feel pretty good haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fjuf7io4n8
      I got the same setup on my e30 as well, feels pretty good for a DD.

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
      No one sticks a 5.0 and a big turbo in an e30 with the intention of building a good handling car.
      Not trying to put down the build nor the energy that took to get it where its at. I do respect it and its diversity from the everyday "cookie cutter" e30s that most of us own.

But if the e30 cant handle well....why using the e30 chassis after all? I fail to see the logic behind it.

Comment

oh no worries. the main reason for me using the E30 chassis, was that i really loved the look of them, not to mention the weight and mainly the fact no one expects whats under the hood to be there haha.

Comment

a 5.0 is roughly 55-80lbs. heavier the a M20. This number varies depending on the components that you use when building the motor. Because of it's relatively short and compact size the 302 it places 2 more cylinders behind the front axle versus the m20. So yes it's heavier, but the weight distribution is different. With the C4 there is probably added weight over a manual. Do some searching, there are a few that have done this swap that with the right suspension handle extremely well.
          Last edited by IronFreak; 01-17-2013, 12:45 PM.
          sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

So much win!! The fender dump exhaust is awesome! Cant wait to see the Mtechnica's mounted up.

Comment

Is that basf paliocrom gold in the engine bay?
              sigpic

Comment

It must be a blast driving that thing! So..Much..Torque!

FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
                Originally posted by scabzzzz
                I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
                1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
                2002 325i - DD
                2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

Originally posted by IronFreak View Post
                  Is that basf paliocrom gold in the engine bay?
                  no sir that isnt, its good ole' VHT engine metallic spray paint lol.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterE30 View Post
                    oh no worries. the main reason for me using the E30 chassis, was that i really loved the look of them, not to mention the weight and mainly the fact no one expects whats under the hood to be there haha.
                    That makes sense, sleeper status FTW!

Comment

Read through your thread and maybe I missed it, but what did you do internally to the motor? I see you replaced a lot of studs with ARP, and you are looking at some twisted wedge heads, is the lower end stock? I'm a stang guy as well, just curious, I have seen stock 302 hold 450hp all day that are boosted.
                      sigpic

Comment

Read through your thread and maybe I missed it, but what did you do internally to the motor? I see you replaced a lot of studs with ARP, and you are looking at some twisted wedge heads, is the lower end stock? I'm a stang guy as well, just curious, I have seen stock 302 hold 450hp all day that are boosted.
                        its a xxx block, stock rods/crank/pistons, but yes alot of arp products to hold it all together haha.im planning on a set of trick flow 170's and a possible E-cam just to finish it all off. i cant go to crazy as this is still my dd, so downtime has to be at a minimal.

Comment

I hear ya man, love seeing stuff like this as I am in the process of doing the same thing. Kind of like you, I'll unveil it once its basically done. I have a motor from a 94' F-150, fully rollered, doing the E-cam as well. As for heads I have a set of fully rebuilt and deck stockers I'll probably use for now until I can pony out money for some nice ones. and it'll be mated to a tremec tr-3550 transmission. MSII with wasted spark and then of course our favorite part.......booooooost.

Great minds think a like!
                          sigpic

Comment

a 5.0 is roughly 55-80lbs. heavier the a M20. This number varies depending on the components that you use when building the motor. Because of it's relatively short and compact size the 302 it places 2 more cylinders behind the front axle versus the m20. So yes it's heavier, but the weight distribution is different. With the C4 there is probably added weight over a manual. Do some searching, there are a few that have done this swap that with the right suspension handle extremely well.
                            Thanks for the advice, i too have done research.

Here there are the different weights for the motors.
                            If the m20 weighs 258lbs and with your numbers that would be between 313-338lbs for the 5.0
                            According to this, having an m20 would give you a 53/47 weight distribution. Doing some quick calcs, that would mean that you have roughly 170lbs more in the front.
                            So with the addition of the 5.0 weight, that extra 55-80lb should make an impact. (up to a 56/44 weight distribution)

Point is, your car should handle better when your distribution is closer to 50/50...no mater how sophisticated your suspension might be.

Sorry OP for the threadjack.

Comment

oh no problems here, any info that may help someone or anything is fine by me. but @ironfreak, ive waited almost a year to save up the $$$ to pick up a set of heads, ive got bone stock E7 heads and they seem fine as the turbo makes up for anything, but running boost through stock heads with the common felpro 1011-2 headgaskets kept blowing them out. so i went with a set of Cometic MLS .051 thickness and things seem to be fine. id love to do headstuds, but its such a pain as if i want to take the heads off i have to semi-pull the motor to make room to get the heads on and off.

Comment

Originally posted by eur04lif3 View Post
                                Thanks for the advice, i too have done research.

Here there are the different weights for the motors.
                                If the m20 weighs 258lbs and with your numbers that would be between 313-338lbs for the 5.0
                                According to this, having an m20 would give you a 53/47 weight distribution. Doing some quick calcs, that would mean that you have roughly 170lbs more in the front.
                                So with the addition of the 5.0 weight, that extra 55-80lb should make an impact. (up to a 56/44 weight distribution)

Point is, your car should handle better when your distribution is closer to 50/50...no mater how sophisticated your suspension might be.

Sorry OP for the threadjack.
                                I'm not arguing that its not heavier, and your number make sense but I don't think that are completely relative. If the 302 sat in the exact same location as the m20 then your number would be dead on and I would fully agree. but the 302 is shorter the the m20, now with the auto and the ease of placing a shift just about anywhere you want this may not apply, but in my case with the tremec to get a good comfortable location for the shifter the motor has to be mounted much further back. In my case its going to take some firewall manipulation to make it work how I want.

So yes its heavier, but your are distributing the weight further behind the front axle then the m20, the ratio might change to a degree but there are plenty that have done this and are very satisfied with the results.

is all else fails........add a ballast :-P
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X