Time for something different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for something different?

My 1990 Alpine 325ic has been with me for almost two years. It was in pretty good shape when I bought it with a few problems that have been sorted out. Also, I traded off the Borbet wheels it came with and put euroweaves on it. It now has 150K on the clock and came stock with a manual transmission.
    I love my little car but worry that the road I have to drive on to go anywhere will shake it apart. Also, my job is changing and will involve more travel and time commitment along with public visibility in a high profile position.
    So I'm thinking about new or newer although there isn't that much out there that I both want to pay for and like. The Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS are under consideration but I'm told they are "too young" for me. I've looked at the new Ford Fusion but their miniscule engines are uninspiring, not to mention FWD.
    So I'm interested in car ideas and the possible value of my current car. Here are some pictures.

1990 Alpine 325iC.

I know you we're thinking newer but my dad just got an e28 and it drives really nice, and has a much more mature image. I've just gotten a new position at my job I'm never letting me e30 go but I'm looking for an e34 touring. Just my opinion also my e30 has 323,000 miles on it and I drive it nearly 150 miles a day.

Comment

why not keep you e30 and get another commuter car? i daily my e38 from spring to winter its a great car nothing like it rides amazing great power comfortable handles very well gets areound 18-19mpg city, down falls are normal bmw suspension problems, and oil leaks

heres mine

i also just picked this up for the winter not a huge benz fan but i really love the ml nice and smooth quiet reliable 4x4 i get 20 mpg easy, down fall is it just doesnt have the feel of a bmw but a great reliable car

both can be had for the 5-6k range so not gunna break your wallet and you can easily keep the vert
      -His-
      87 e30 325i
      87 e24 m6
      05 e83 x3
      94 e32 740i 5spd
      -Hers-
      89 e30 325i
      18 f48 x1

Comment

I used to have an e28 and loved it but it is gone. Its a sad story and they are getting old.

I've actually thought about an e38. A complicating factor is that the BMW shop I used to trust has fallen apart.
        1990 Alpine 325iC.

Comment

E36 maybe if you want newer? The E39 would also be a good option for a commuter car that is newer and still holds onto the BMW spirit.

Comment

I DD a 4-dr 05 5spd civic. I would love to DD an older car, but know I would hate to see it deteriorate over the years in NJ. Thus, my honda. I have to have a car i maintain, but not get to invested in. Its nice, good MPG, comfortable, Nice stereo, etc. I did some upgrades, but its easy and cheap to work on, and reliable as hell.

Comment

ML reliable lol!!

I was in a similar boat. I wanted an awesome daily driver. I have my e30 vert which is fun in the summer, but is pretty fragile on Chicago streets imo, girls complain that its too low. My Tj is great in snow and fun in summer, but gets 10 mpg, horribly noisy and is all over the place on the highway, girls complain that its too high. My CBR1000rr is just that and girls complain its too dangerous.

So I bought an xk8 to ls1 swap.

Jaguar specialties makes a swap kit. You can drive a 500hp XJR for around 10k. Looks great and will be comfortable can quiet. Would be reliable with a low maintenance cost and still return 20 mpg with m60 m5 power. Considered it myself, but needed that GT!
              I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
              Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

Get an e39.
                sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
                1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
                1991 318is - Sold
                1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

^ second that notion, e39 540i m-sport. keep the e30, too.

i am of the opinion that a very well-kept, well maintained 'old car' says more about your character and dedication than buying/leasing some new lux mobile. of course i'm biased, but don't think that you need to buy something new to fit the part or impress people.

Comment

I'd get an e38. 10-15k will easily land you a (very) nice one, and the money you saved over a BRZ will buy you repairs and gas forever.
                    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Dude your vert is so clean you don't have to worry about your "public visibility".

Don't try to appear to be something you're not
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
                      1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
                      1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
                      1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

Originally posted by cjdontthink View Post
                        Dude your vert is so clean you don't have to worry about your "public visibility".

Don't try to appear to be something you're not

CJ, thanks for your comment. A repaint would pretty much finish it up. That and a new driver's side door card (which I cannot find). A lot of my concern is the time commitment. For example, it recently failed smog. Three trips and five days in the shop it's fixed. Each time I had to arrange transportation. It still needs a few odds and end that Ryan G is probably the only person who will fix them. That means taking a full day to drive down, or two days to drop it off and then pick it up. I'd sort of like to let Oliver repaint it but I'd ahve to get it from Chico to San Jose and then back again a week or two later. It's logistics.
                        I might keep it though. It's been a fantasy car and now it's mine! Thanks for all your comments.
                        1990 Alpine 325iC.

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                          E39

Originally posted by GodIse30 View Post
                          Get an e39.
                          /thread
                          Originally posted by kronus
                          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                            The E39 would also be a good option for a commuter car that is newer and still holds onto the BMW spirit.
                            Originally posted by GodIse30 View Post
                            Get an e39.
                            Originally posted by evandael View Post
                            ^ second that notion, e39 540i m-sport. keep the e30, too.
                            Originally posted by agent View Post
                            /thread
                            As a fellow owner of an e39, I love it and can't recommend it more. Great daily driver to complement the more raw driving of an e30.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

Working...
                            X