Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Driver s52 Sedan. The Silberbullet.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    I have considered swapping everything over so I do not need a tune but don't think that is how I want to do it. Id rather clean up the motor some.

    DesertBMW I tried sending you a PM a couple weeks ago and never heard anything from you, I sent you another last night as well so I hope to hear from you this time.

    I pulled the tranny off the motor yesterday and got the motor up on the engine stand, Ill get a few pics today. The main reason for doing this was to inspect the clutch and flywheel, and my predictions were correct, the clutch is shot, it appears to be the original 120k clutch.

    So what clutch set up and flywheel do you guys recommend for an s52? I was thinking all OEM stock parts. But am always open to suggestions.

    Ill post pictures of my modified brake booster once its all done, hopefully by tonight.
    View my build thread. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=287724

    Comment


      #62
      Oem s52 everything. Its great for track work (hpde) and also driving every day

      Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

      Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30



      Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

      Comment


        #63
        Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
        Oem s52 everything. Its great for track work (hpde) and also driving every day

        Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
        Twin mass setup ? Thnx
        My CA legal M60 swap

        The happening in our garage

        Comment


          #64
          OEM is what I think I will be doing. Here is a picture the engine on the stand.



          And here is a picture of the modified fire wall for the booster relocation.



          I have a couple questions, for SAP do I just simply remove everything Connected to the two pipes coming off exhaust and have it deleted from my DME?

          Also do I just remove the vacuum pump set up if that getting deleted?

          What do I do to delete EWS other than having it deleted out of my DME?

          Thanks for looking!
          Last edited by Link; 05-25-2013, 10:15 PM.
          View my build thread. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=287724

          Comment


            #65
            I am curious about doing a flywheel conversion to get rid of the dual mass flywheel. ANy input from r3v? I will be ordering my clutch kit (a maybe flywheel) later this week. As well as a 16 inch spal fan.

            Do any of you know if you need to have a gasket of some sort between the brake booster and fire wall?
            Last edited by Link; 05-26-2013, 12:21 PM.
            View my build thread. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=287724

            Comment


              #66
              if you're using the OEM e36 m3 clutch, I believe the F1-racing chromeoly single mass has the correct depth to still allow pressure plate disengagement. it's around $300.

              honestly, i'd just use the stock dual-mass.. i'm about 95% convinced that's what i will do.

              Comment


                #67
                Originally posted by evandael View Post
                if you're using the OEM e36 m3 clutch, I believe the F1-racing chromeoly single mass has the correct depth to still allow pressure plate disengagement. it's around $300.
                Or the entire kit with clutch disc and PP is $500 obo:

                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=400488049878

                It's what I bought.
                Originally posted by kronus
                would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

                Comment


                  #68
                  Originally posted by Link View Post
                  I am curious about doing a flywheel conversion to get rid of the dual mass flywheel. ANy input from r3v? I will be ordering my clutch kit (a maybe flywheel) later this week. As well as a 16 inch spal fan.

                  Do any of you know if you need to have a gasket of some sort between the brake booster and fire wall?
                  I use the stock bmw clutch in my 98 m3 grocery getter. Its great for track use also and is a high quality german sachs part.

                  I used a original s52 dual mass and clutch set with my s54b32 swap. It was happy at 8400rpm and 310rwhp

                  Can't really put oem level quality and most communist made parts in the same sentence.

                  The original s52 clutch and flywheel set is not that heavy;

                  S52 dual mass flywheel: 22 lbs
                  M20 single mass flywheel: 20 lbs

                  S52 pressure plate is not any heavier than the m20 unit; its more compact and also holds much more torque.

                  The zf 5 speed transmission will rattle with a single mass flywheel installed;

                  this is great for a race car that has so much noise and vibration you can barely hear yourself think: (I race a 24v e30 with lightened m20 flywheel and zf 5 speed)

                  I put the alu 10# blue brand flywheel and stage 2 e34m5 blueified clutch into a e34 touring I swapped a s52b32 and zf 5 speed into; quite a noisy bugger at idle. I didn't enjoy driving it in San Francisco; my last daily (e34 525i-5) with original zf5 and dual mass is great up SF hills.

                  Perhaps hills is not an issue for you; then the issue would be moot. Dual mass is great for moving the car from stopped to going up a san Francisco hill.

                  A pucked un sprung clutch+ light fly on my old sc300 5 speed w/ 2JZ Twin turbo swap on the same hills was an exercise in doing burn outs and side stepping the clutch while letting go of the e brake and letting go of the brake also. Horrid and frustrating up van ness in traffic but looked spectacular.

                  My daily is a stock s52 98 m3 with original 5 speed. Dual mass is the way to go if street driven (I did 12 track days on a stock s52 clutch in the sedan m3 -it also got paired to a s54 and was happy)

                  Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
                  OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

                  Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30



                  Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                    I use the stock bmw clutch in my 98 m3 grocery getter. Its great for track use also and is a high quality german sachs part.

                    I used a original s52 dual mass and clutch set with my s54b32 swap. It was happy at 8400rpm and 310rwhp

                    Can't really put oem level quality and most communist made parts in the same sentence.

                    The original s52 clutch and flywheel set is not that heavy;

                    S52 dual mass flywheel: 22 lbs
                    M20 single mass flywheel: 20 lbs

                    S52 pressure plate is not any heavier than the m20 unit; its more compact and also holds much more torque.

                    The zf 5 speed transmission will rattle with a single mass flywheel installed;

                    this is great for a race car that has so much noise and vibration you can barely hear yourself think: (I race a 24v e30 with lightened m20 flywheel and zf 5 speed)

                    I put the alu 10# blue brand flywheel and stage 2 e34m5 blueified clutch into a e34 touring I swapped a s52b32 and zf 5 speed into; quite a noisy bugger at idle. I didn't enjoy driving it in San Francisco; my last daily (e34 525i-5) with original zf5 and dual mass is great up SF hills.

                    Perhaps hills is not an issue for you; then the issue would be moot. Dual mass is great for moving the car from stopped to going up a san Francisco hill.

                    A pucked un sprung clutch+ light fly on my old sc300 5 speed w/ 2JZ Twin turbo swap on the same hills was an exercise in doing burn outs and side stepping the clutch while letting go of the e brake and letting go of the brake also. Horrid and frustrating up van ness in traffic but looked spectacular.

                    My daily is a stock s52 98 m3 with original 5 speed. Dual mass is the way to go if street driven (I did 12 track days on a stock s52 clutch in the sedan m3 -it also got paired to a s54 and was happy)

                    Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
                    So if I read this and other posts correctly.... I should cough up the $ buy a new BMW dual mass flywheel if I don't have a flywheel to use ? thnx
                    My CA legal M60 swap

                    The happening in our garage

                    Comment


                      #70
                      don't buy a new one. get one from a salvage car, or some guy who wants to go fuh raze and run a single mass in his m3.

                      Comment


                        #71
                        I am going to stay stock, will be having my flywheel looked at by a shop to see if it can be resurfaced and ran some more. If not, I will have to find the money to buy a new one.

                        I am curious if my 318i fuel pump is going to work or if I need to upgrade and to what? I have never really read about people using different fuel pumps so I think I will be alright for awhile.

                        No one has said anything about a gasket between the fire wall and brake booster.. any one know about this?

                        And here are some photos of a new little project for this car.



                        And the bad...







                        If anyone has either bolster cover in black leather for the two photos above in similar shape to the rest of the two seats I would like to buy them. Go ahead and post here or PM me.
                        View my build thread. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=287724

                        Comment


                          #72
                          UPDATE 5/27/13:

                          Today I got some smaller things done, like removing the A/C from the motor and the unnecessary A/C pulley. I also spent some time looking at everything in person to grasp how it goes together more than just what I read, it was very helpful of course.

                          Another small project I started was the instal of my sub and stereo deck set up from my old coupe.

                          here is the sub box set up:



                          And to get that installed I had to remove the metal for the ski pass through, that chunk of carpet material under the seats, as well as some of the foam padding on the back of the seat to give it room to breathe.

                          Here are photos of that:











                          And then after I did that when I was looking at everything I had some questions come up. Here they are.

                          Do these two wires coming off the Fuse Box go to the passenger side battery terminal thing?



                          And then this black wire is here with an eye connector on it. The wire is black. Does this go to the power or is a ground...



                          Sorry for the iPhone pictures. Its been fun playing with the new iPhone %, I just got it recently. Anyways hope you all had a great Memorial Day and weekend.
                          View my build thread. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=287724

                          Comment


                            #73
                            Nice build man! I know dave market is a little far from you but he is the best at re wiring the harness's!
                            sigpic

                            Check out my build thread!! :p

                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=288383

                            Comment


                              #74
                              I have yet to decide whether I am going to do my own wiring, I have two local connections that are very good with cars and wiring so we may all sit down and figure it out. I am how ever sending my DME out to be tuned.
                              View my build thread. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=287724

                              Comment


                                #75
                                Originally posted by Link View Post
                                I have yet to decide whether I am going to do my own wiring, I have two local connections that are very good with cars and wiring so we may all sit down and figure it out. I am how ever sending my DME out to be tuned.
                                If you do your own and get it wrong, damage could be done and if you trust someone else to do it and they get it wrong its the same story. It is pretty complicated stuff to get it working properly as the ecu requires several feeds from the car to operate. If it was even a pin off, you would have a hell of a time troubleshooting or you could short something out. I don't doubt your abilities at all but when it comes to things of this nature, I find its best to just bite the bullet and have someone like Dave get it done right the first time. Ive known him for a few years now and he is great. His skill set applies to all cars but his amount of experience with BMWs is probably one of the greatest you'll find. He was actually the one who swapped and wired my m52 nearly 4 years ago so doing these things is routine for him now. I would really recommend that route plus he is a great person to call and will completely back his product if you ever have issues or questions. Good luck with the swap

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X