87 325is DD "budget build"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87 325is DD "budget build"

I picked this up about 2 weeks ago and plan on making it my daily driver.

It was what I expected when I read that it had been in storage for the past 2 years and the PO bought it from the original owner that had it in storage on and off for 15 years. It was coated in a greasy gross film that I can only assume was applied to remove the grime and dust from basement storage. It was so bad I had to drive with my head out the window to the oil change place down the street. I drove the car about a quarter mile to get the oil changed and was surprised that the 10 minute oil change place carried 20w 50 and an oil filter for the car.

I went across the street and put air in the tires and a bottle of gas treatment and then filled up.

When I got it home this box was waiting for me.

I've been busy at work but I washed and waxed the car. I took the old bad tint off of the front windows (so I could see out) and am going to get to the back windows. I went to the local Pick N' Pull for some small parts like a shifter handle and the plastic mount for the interior ceiling lights.

I bought a front valance for it that needs paint and some body work.

But when I got it, the brackets were unusable. I contacted a local water jet place to get a quote on aluminum brackets.

I painted over the rusty chrome front and rear window trim.

Anyway, I've been working a lot lately and have fri-sun off this week so i'm going to change the timing belt, water hoses and belts. Clean the fuel injectors, change the seals and change the fuel filter.

also I found a fuel leak under the intake manifold that appears to be coming from one of the injectors.

Good looking car. I also have a fuel leak and its coming from injectors. I'm planning on taking the spare set of injectors I have to a company in town who rebuilds them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    sigpic
    Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Nice start! You could refresh those front grills real quick with some trim paint and would look alot better.
      91 318is M50 swapped
      05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Tonight when I got home from work I took the grill pieces off and washed them in the shower.... Living in a high rise isn't ideal for working on your car.

Anyway, after they dried I went to the parking garage to secretly paint them. I was waiting for them to dry and got bored, so I decided to clean my fuel injectors. It's a lot easier to get the fuel rail out if you take the valve cover off, FYI.

The injectors were extremely dirty. But I got them clean. It just takes patience, safety goggles and a couple beers. Then I set them aside until tomorrow. The grills needed a few more coats. Might as well change the fuel filter.

Getting the grill back in and calling it a night.

Tomorrow:
        Timing belt
        Water pump
        The 3 other belts
        Water hoses
        Find this damn gas leak.

Comment

Be sure to do like 5-6 coats on the grill. I did like only 2-3 last year and paint started chipping just less than 6 months later.
          1984 bronzit 323i // Euro & M-tech 1.

Comment

Originally posted by korky View Post
            Be sure to do like 5-6 coats on the grill. I did like only 2-3 last year and paint started chipping just less than 6 months later.
            It's not for lack of coats it's chipping, its lack of prep..if it's not prepped correctly the paint won't stick. Using a fine grit scotch brite shouod do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by Poorboyz View Post
              Good looking car. I also have a fuel leak and its coming from injectors. I'm planning on taking the spare set of injectors I have to a company in town who rebuilds them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
              I cleaned my injectors and replaced the seals. The leak was actually coming from the fuel line that goes under the intake manifold and connects to the fuel rail.

Comment

As of right now the car has these new parts:
                Hood release cable/handle
                Distributor cover
                Distributor rotor
                Water Pump
                Timing belt
                Tensioner
                All 3 belts were replaced
                All coolant hoses replaced
                Fuel line to the rail
                Injector seals
                Intake boot
                Air filter
                Fuel filter
                Valve cover breather hose
                Shifter knob
                Windshield wipers
                All burned out lights replaced

Up next:
                Finish body work and brackets for the valance
                Paint the valance
                New tires
                Get the code for the stereo

Drive the damn car
                Last edited by Beardface; 08-29-2013, 01:28 AM. Reason: Forgot some stuff

Comment

Now for some pictures

Replaced the brackets for the interior lights

Removing the fuel rail

Fuel Rail out with injectors

Injectors before and after

Only use BMW approved tools...

Painted the grills

Couple trips to the Pick N' Pull

Changing the timing belt

Car came with a new rotor and distributor cover in the glove box.

3 into 1 pully

Belt off

New belt on

Reassembling

It's running great now.

Comment

Looks like it's coming along nicely.
                    Did you do all the work in the garage of your high rise? That's awesome. Hopefully there aren't any rules against it and some nosy neighbor complains to the manager.
                    Did you get a quote on new brackets for your IS valence?

Comment

Originally posted by MoreMayhem View Post
                      Looks like it's coming along nicely.
                      Did you do all the work in the garage of your high rise? That's awesome. Hopefully there aren't any rules against it and some nosy neighbor complains to the manager.
                      Did you get a quote on new brackets for your IS valence?

Yeah. I did all of the work in a back corner with decent lighting. I introduced myself to all of the security people that patrol. Because of work I couldn't start working on it until about 8pm so I saw the same security people every day. It was actually pretty cool.

Only one place has replied about the brackets. $75 for aluminum. Theyre $160 on ebay for plastic. I'm going to call a few other places for comparison.

Comment

The quotes for the brackets to have them made were the same price as the ones on eBay. So I bit the bullet and ordered them from eBay.

Comment

Working...
                        X