Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KIRIEIW
    replied
    Well today I decided to do another transmission fluid change. I say another because the last one I did was about 30k miles ago. This time I spent a little extra and bought Redline fluid. Lucky for me though, Napa Auto Parts gave me a slight discount because of my work. Ended up being $33.11 for two quarts which wasn't that bad I guess.

Leave a comment:

• TimeMachinE30
    replied
    Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
    I've got a set of these installed :D
    https://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/E30...wybrpvtmt.html

Totally agree with the rebranding part, I'm sure that's what Harbor Freight and other company's are doing with some of there items. I haven't bought a cheap tool in the past 3 years (I've been slowly buying a few Snap On ratchets and sockets lately) but I have to say for what I payed it was definitely a good tool for the job, I don't think I could have changed the bearing with out it. If anyone out there reads this and needs to do wheel bearings on there car without paying a shop/ don't have a bearing puller, I recommend the kit.
    The brake caliper master kit I ordered from Amazon (IIRC $30), folks recognized as the Snap-On set.

Leave a comment:

• KIRIEIW
    replied
    Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
    Should have done the sway bar bushings while you were taking apart the front!

Looks like the same kit sold at nearly all the stores.. many of the master tool kits like you purchased I have found (brake caliper tools, thread restore kits, etc) to be the same provider with dozens of companies simply rebranding them.
    I've got a set of these installed :D
    https://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/E30...wybrpvtmt.html

Totally agree with the rebranding part, I'm sure that's what Harbor Freight and other company's are doing with some of there items. I haven't bought a cheap tool in the past 3 years (I've been slowly buying a few Snap On ratchets and sockets lately) but I have to say for what I payed it was definitely a good tool for the job, I don't think I could have changed the bearing with out it. If anyone out there reads this and needs to do wheel bearings on there car without paying a shop/ don't have a bearing puller, I recommend the kit.

Leave a comment:

• TimeMachinE30
    replied
    Should have done the sway bar bushings while you were taking apart the front!

Looks like the same kit sold at nearly all the stores.. many of the master tool kits like you purchased I have found (brake caliper tools, thread restore kits, etc) to be the same provider with dozens of companies simply rebranding them.

Leave a comment:

• KIRIEIW
    replied
    I've barely driven the car since rebuilding the front end, sadly my rear wheel bearing failed so the car was just sitting around until I had time to fix it.. Which was today! Man this was a shit job to say the least, it was going so smoothly until it was time to punch out the hub. THANKFULLY Kronus gave me two extras, I had to literally cut mine out. I kept hitting it with a mallet for at least an hour, tried using a puller, absolutely nothing worked. Not to mention the inner race suck to the hub, It made it that much better I had a extra.

As for pulling the bearing, I bought a eBay bearing puller kit for $63.45 shipped to my door. Lot's of people recommended buying a Harbor Freight kit, but they raised there prices to nearly $120.. Plus there would be tax, and in my case, $5 bridge toll to get to there closest location. Honestly, I think it's the same kit they sell in stores it looks identical.

Onto the pics;

Half of the old bearing still stuck inside,

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 05-15-2016, 08:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bradnic
    replied
    new suspension parts are always a treat! enjoy

Leave a comment:

• KIRIEIW
    replied
    Well today I rebuilt the whole front end. Brand new Lemforder control arms, bushings, inner and outer tie rods, and sway bar mounts. All it needs now is an alignment and it should be good to go! I also installed a Mtech cloth shift boot/ eBrake handle but no pics.

EDIT: Note to self, installed at 121,383

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 04-01-2016, 10:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• KIRIEIW
    replied
    I got some Brand New Red Spark Plug wires the other day online during a sale. It's funny, when I owned my Mtech the car came with red spark plug wires installed and I always hated it. Somehow that hate turned into me wanting a set for my coupe and because of the sale I couldn't pass them up. To my surprise there made in Canada. Only two complaints, first was the wires weren't labeled by number so I had to do a continuity test with a Multi Meter to figure out which wire was for which cylinder. Secondly the coil wire was coming out of the wrong spot so I had to take the spark plug wire set apart and make the wire come out of the correct hole as pictured bellow, it was to short otherwise to reach the coil. Both not really big deals.

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 03-26-2016, 07:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KIRIEIW
    replied
    Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
    The DS bolts at the diff I used my ratcheting box wrench and my foot to break them.
    I used the same tool actually, I find it hard to find places to use ratcheting wrenches but this was defiantly one of the places it was handy.

Leave a comment:

• TimeMachinE30
    replied
    The DS bolts at the diff I used my ratcheting box wrench and my foot to break them.

Leave a comment:

• KIRIEIW
    replied
    ^Thanks man, I actually had a set of white plastic bumpers a while back I was seriously considering putting on the car but for some reason ended up selling.

Well today I got the driveshaft installed and the whole exhaust system bolted up. It's been raining on and off today but the good part about working under a car is you stay dry! After finishing up the driveshaft, I drove over to my Dad's house and he helped me install a front wheel bearing. It's gotten so loud over the past 2 weeks, glad I got that fixed. The wheel bearing replacement was possibly the easiest mechanical job I've ever done on this car.

The bad new's.. My whining in the rear still remains when I make 90* turns. It's only for a second or two you'll here a High pitch "Wheooo Wheooo Wheooo", usually hear the tone 3 times and it'll stop. I thought the original differential was definitely the cause of the whining sound. Not only that, but since fixing the front wheel bearing, you can now hear the rear wheel bearings going out.. I estimate them to last about 2 weeks till they sound horrible like the front did. I'm wondering if the high pitch sound is related to the wheel bearing's. I highly doubt I have two bad differentials making the same exact noise.

=

Leave a comment:

• stonea
    replied
    Beautiful looking car man. My dream e30 is an early model Alpine white with plastic bumpers.

Leave a comment:

• KIRIEIW
    replied

And a pic of the 3.73LSD installed. I scrubbed it up clean before installing, but the old cosmoline was suborn and stayed on the differential so that's the weird splotch's of color's your seeing.

Leave a comment:

• KIRIEIW
    replied
    So I got a ton of work done today which I've been meaning to get done for a while now. First off, I'd like to say the little 318i I have picture's of above was sold, but I now have another Black 325i convertible project I've been spending most my time on. We'll see how long I keep it until I get bored, I really enjoy wrenching on project car's but there get's to a point where the project car isn't a project car any longer, but rather a nice weekend toy or new daily driver. I don't have the space for 3 cars, so later down the road there comes a point where I need to sell a car in order to have space for the next.

Enough chit chat and onto the build. I'm tired of doing this job, the driveshaft in this car failed yet again. The U Joint's are bad, causing a vibration to occur and take out the center support bearing. It's happened 3 time's now. Not only that, but I think the driveshaft needs to be balanced. Usually the bearing would last about a year before it needed to be replaced, but this time it lasted maybe 8 months if that. After removing it this time around, you could easily tell the U joint are binding and not operating smoothly while before they still felt good. I've been assuming all this time maybe the driveshaft was just un-properly balanced but now I know it's been the U joints.

I got lucky, I decided to take my chances and buy a used driveshaft at my local junkyard. Well the one car there happened to have a rebuilt one, along with a 3.73LSD :D

I've been working since Noon and packed up around 5pm, all I need to do now is re install the rebuilt driveshaft, with the brand new center support bearing (The one on the rebuilt shaft was in great shape, but off a 88'. My car required the older 87' style).

My Ground Control suspension is a bit dusty, but working great! I plan on whipping it down with a rag before pulling the car off jacks.

Pic with the original 2.93 open dif and driveshaft off the car

I ended up using a ratcheting wrench to get the top bolts undone. Those bolt's are TIGHT! Really need more leverage which you can't get with a wrench alone. I ended up using a pry bar, If you ever try to swap out your diff and your reading this a ratcheting wrench is almost a must. There where plenty of area's I found that I could use to wedge the pry bar. The biggest concern was I might scuff up the undercoating, but I didn't which was awesome.

CV Joints disconnected

I also had to transfer sensor's over. My car's use's the older style pictured on the left.

Rebuilt driveshaft is the one on top. Notice the red arrow stickers and a "bar code" sticker on the right side. Sadly, the U joints aren't serviceable/ greaseable but at lease there buttery smooth.
    Last edited by KIRIEIW; 03-19-2016, 07:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KIRIEIW
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    love it! Royalblau?
    Thanks! I thought it's a pretty sweet color myself, has a hint of purple in it at some angles. Color label says "Mauritius Blue Pearl 287" in the engine bay, but ya basically royal blue. It's a color I've never seen before in person though on a e30, at least I don't think I have.
    Last edited by KIRIEIW; 11-05-2015, 09:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X