S50B32 powered E30 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S50B32 powered E30 318is

I've posted a little here and there about my car but thought that it was about time that I start a build thread to chronicle the current build of my car.

The car is a 1990 brilliant red E30 318is. When I bought the car the M42 was standard save for a K&N filter and new exhaust system. The car looked and sounded nice, but having previously owned both an E46 M3 and an E60 M5, was very under powered. I considered all manner of builds- including an NA M42 build with ITBs, turbocharging the M42, a 20B PP rotary conversion. I eventually settled on swapping in an S50B32 when a mate of mine decided to part out his E30 in which the engine/box etc was installed.

My good friends at GT Auto Garage were charged with undertaking the swap for me. However it has turned out to be far more than a simple pull the old engine out and put the new engine in job. I have decided to completely rebuild the S50, delete the VANOS and install a stand alone ECU. The list of what I have ordered and is currently in transit to GT Auto Garage is:-

Pure Performance Motorsport (PPM) 12.5:1 forged pistons
    PPM H-beam connecting rods
    Cat Cams (CC) 1303315 camshafts
    CC race followers
    CC lash caps
    CC double valve springs
    CC upper retainer
    CC lower retainer
    1mm oversize racing valves
    ACL Race connecting rod bearings
    VAC high volume oil pump
    VAC groove hardened valve locks
    VAC high performance main bearings
    VAC high performance valve guides
    ARP head studs
    ARP main studs
    VAC crank damper
    VAC VANOS elimination kit
    VAC under drive pulley kit
    UUC Evo 3 SSK with DSSR
    MOTEC M84 ECU
    MOTEC C125 colour dash
    Göke carbon fibre air box
    Custom headers and exhaust

I think that is the whole list :)

Additionally the dash, centre console, door cards and rear parcel shelf are being re-covered in black alcantra with the "M" colour tri-stitching.

I will be looking to turn the engine to 8,500 rpm and the goal is about 400hp (crank).

Here are some pictures. The engine is currently test fitted in the engine bay so that the headers can be fabricated. It is a real PITA that the car is RHD that's for sure.

Tim.
    Attached Files
    E30 318is S50B32 powered
    sigpic

20B PP, the choice of bogans, Australasia wide!

But seriously, that thing is gonna fly! I'll be keeping tabs on your RHD headers for sure.
    Last edited by Ray Smoodiver; 11-12-2013, 04:42 PM.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
    RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Haha - you're right about it being the bogan's choice Australasia wide. I'm very happy that I made the decision to keep the engine a BMW engine.

It should be pretty quick when it's done. I can't wait.
      E30 318is S50B32 powered
      sigpic

Comment

What are your plans for brake booster and steering rack shaft?

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
        RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

sweet!! that is quite the list of parts :p:p:p $$$$!!
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I knew I had forgotten things.

Wanganstyle built a 40% lock up 3.25:1 medium case LSD for me. I bought this before I decided on the big build. I hope it holds the power!

KW V2 coil overs are waiting to be installed.
            Brakes are 310mm all round - Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear from Ireland Engineering.

I have a Ford Fiesta brake booster out of the E30 that the engine came from. If the carbon air box fouls on the booster then I will get either a Wilwood or Tilton pedal box and switch to manual brakes. I may just do that anyway. I am undecided.

The steering shaft will be a hand fabricated piece by GT Auto Garage.
            E30 318is S50B32 powered
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xAZxE30x View Post
              sweet!! that is quite the list of parts :p:p:p $$$$!!
              Thanks mate. Yep lots of $. I haven't worked out a final cost yet but the Motec ECU and dash alone were $6,200.00.
              E30 318is S50B32 powered
              sigpic

Comment

Also forgot to mention that in order to get the most out of the engine the valves will be multi-angled.
                E30 318is S50B32 powered
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brisbane E30 View Post
                  Thanks mate. Yep lots of $. I haven't worked out a final cost yet but the Motec ECU and dash alone were $6,200.00.
                  Ha i figured it was around that cost!

is this a track car? or just a badass street car?
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by xAZxE30x View Post
                    Ha i figured it was around that cost!

is this a track car? or just a badass street car?
                    It's really just a badass street car.

I intend to take it to the local tracks to have some fun with it, but (at this stage at least) I don't have any intentions to cage the car, gut the interior and turn it into a full on track car. Never say never though.
                    E30 318is S50B32 powered
                    sigpic

Comment

Rotary would have been awesome but s50 is still great choice. Cars looks super clean too.

Comment

8,500rpm s50....

91 318is M50 swapped
                        05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Originally posted by TroyShark View Post
                          Rotary would have been awesome but s50 is still great choice. Cars looks super clean too.
                          Thanks mate. My friend who talked me out of the 20B is a Mazda nut. He has an L10A Cosmo, 2 L10B Cosmos (both if which are RARE), 2 FD Rx-7s, at least 4 JC Cosmos and an NC Mx-5 (Miata) that's getting a 20B PP in it.

Danny's thoughts were that the rotor would be cool but keeping a BMW engine that made a lot of power would be best.

I agreed eventually.

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
                          8,500rpm s50....

Haha - thanks man.

That's why I'm spending the $ on hardware.
                          E30 318is S50B32 powered
                          sigpic

Comment

bad ass build man! i want to hear a clip when you get that thing turning at 8500. Also… is that a skyline i spy in the background?
                            98 M3/4/5

Comment

Originally posted by randomtask37 View Post
                              bad ass build man! i want to hear a clip when you get that thing turning at 8500. Also… is that a skyline i spy in the background?
                              Yep - R32 GTR. Not sure of the specs of that one, though GT Auto Garage turns out some monster GTRs putting down 1,000hp atw.
                              E30 318is S50B32 powered
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X