Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Project: '91 318is

Hello everyone,

Stumbled across this forum this morning after picking up a new project to toy with. I've been doing a lot of reading and still have plenty to learn about this platform but I'm very excited to get started.

Yesterday I picked up a '91 318is coupe from a fellow on craigslist for $500. The car was run into a wall and needs a quite a bit of front end work but I think I can make it happen. Supposedly the guy who sold it to me has a friend with a complete roller parts car so I'm hoping that comes through. It ran and drove over fine but certainly needs some TLC. I plan to make it a good looking and fun daily driver. Anyway, a few pics for now! Look forward to learning more and any advice is appreciated!

Gabe
    '91 318is

Come join us if you have a Facebook!

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Nice start!
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

omg, glass sunroof...
        My Feedback

Comment

Thanks Lambo, I'll check it out!

I'm pretty excited about the car. I certainly think it was worth bringing back from the accident. I know it is going to be fun getting all the body panels to line up on the front!

Is a glass sunroof good? It opened up ok but won't go back and won't shut now lol.
          Gabe
          '91 318is

Comment

Well, remove it and send it to me.
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Not much progress but picked up a donor car for front end parts. It's an '89 325 sedan auto with a crap ton of miles but the front end is straight and complete. Hopefully I can sell off some of the other parts I don't use and keep the budget low! 8)

Gabe
              '91 318is

Comment

i would just keep the donor car.., if you part the sedan i need p/s fender and trunk lid shipped to 60525

Comment

Eh, it's got 300k on it, barely runs/shifts, auto and sedan. Not my preferred combo by any means lol. Well, I need the entire front end but I probably won't have a use for most of the other stuff. I would imagine shipping the lid would be pretty expensive?
                  Gabe
                  '91 318is

Comment

Got some things removed in order to asses the damage and create a plan of attack. Looks like we have our work "cut" out for us.

Gabe
                    '91 318is

Comment

Nice pickup, but I agree, why not keep the donor? just swap stuff you want from the coupe. Either way, you can't really lose.

Comment

I prefer the coupe body style to the sedan, plus the sedan isn't as clean as you'd think. Also, swapping engines, transmission conversion, etc. is arguably more work than cutting and rewelding part of the clip (at least I hope anyway). Had the sedan been a manual and not have 300k+ miles on everything I probably would have kept it instead...
                        Gabe
                        '91 318is

Comment

There is a red 1991 318is at Upull&pay on row I-41. The front end looks in good shape minus the plastic bumpers and valance.
                          Last edited by RobDog; 04-02-2014, 10:44 PM.

Comment

While you're at it, make the core support removable.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                            Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

omg, dude... instead of cutting up a clean(ish) straight car, find something that's been rear ended and use the front clip off that. Not that I would even bother fixing it that anyway... That damage is pretty bad. I'd part the 318is, sell the sedan, and get something that you really want. Save yourself a lot of time and headache and you aren't wasting a straight e30 that somebody else will want.
                              My Feedback

Comment

Working...
                              X