No announcement yet.

M30b34 E30 twin-screw supercharged muscle car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I highly suggest boxing your mounts like fear said. A lot of weight on just two brackets. Are you going with Polly or rubber mounts?

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Yeah, I might do that. Those mounts are poly from G-man the visionary.
      Originally posted by Andy.B
      Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
      1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
      ~~~~~~~~~~
      I was born on 3/25…
      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

You should make a template for those engine mount brackets and send it to me ;) I need b34 mounts on the cheap
        = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
          Yeah, I might do that. Those mounts are poly from G-man the visionary.

The definitely box them out the vibration from the motor and the weight would be to much to risk IMO and you can never have to much reinforcement.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Originally posted by totheredline View Post
            You should make a template for those engine mount brackets and send it to me ;) I need b34 mounts on the cheap
            It's not too bad if you have the tools. Even if I sent you a template, you'd have to hang the motor in there, cut the steel, drill all the holes, position it exactly where you want it, etc… Making the template was the easiest part. You can do it. Just go do it.

I have a solid 1/2" between the crank pulley and the radiator. That's with about 15 whacks to the trans tunnel/firewall area. I'm extremely pleased.

The transmission output flange is 58 5/8" from the diff flange. My mostly compressed m20 g260 driveshaft is 56 7/8" plus 1 1/4" guibo. You do the math. Ok I'll do it for you, that means this setup has the transmission output very near where it is in an m20b25 car (within 1/2"). That's pretty neat.

I reckon I should see about the shift linkage today. Maybe it'll be all serendipitous as well...
            Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
            ~~~~~~~~~~
            I was born on 3/25…
            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
              The definitely box them out the vibration from the motor and the weight would be to much to risk IMO and you can never have to much reinforcement.
              If you could hold one of these mounts, you'd see where my confidence comes from. I'm of the school of "make it. if it breaks, fix it.". Here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna leave it like it is. If it cracks or bends, I'll deal with it then. I would bet large amounts of money that the whole car could easily hang from these mounts. The part that would break first would be the 1 little 3/8" bolt that holds the motor to the subframe on each side. You see, it just doesn't make sense to make the combined strength of these mounts (in the front to back axis, which is how boxing the top and bottom would strengthen them) stronger than those two 3/8" grade 12 bolts that hold it in. Now, it does make sense to make them very strong in the up to down axis because of bumps and shit that make the motor "heavier" than it actually is. Boxing the top and bottom would do little for strength in this direction. Plus I need to be able to get to the bolts that hold them to the block.

In short, if they break, I'll admit it, and you can say "Told ya so!". And thanks for caring about a total strangers' build.
              ~~~~~~~~~~
              I was born on 3/25…
              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Your mounts look like 1/4 inch steel to me which is pretty damn stout. I agree with vertical (torque) load being the strongest force to deal with and if they do bend they would probably spread in the middle and bow into the shape of a vagina. The vagina shape has nothing to do with you as a person or your mount design.

If i were to reinforce those mounts, i would weld in a horizontal in between the two long sections but in the middle vertically thus creating an I beam shape (sideways) which would keep the (beefy) verticals tied together. It would not need to be thick (1/8th inch?) or full length so bolt access would still be good.

Props for making your own mounts, keep it up !
                Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                  Your mounts look like 1/4 inch steel to me which is pretty damn stout. I agree with vertical (torque) load being the strongest force to deal with and if they do bend they would probably spread in the middle and bow into the shape of a vagina. The vagina shape has nothing to do with you as a person or your mount design.
                  Truth. Truth. Vaginas.

If i were to reinforce those mounts, i would weld in a horizontal in between the two long sections but in the middle vertically thus creating an I beam shape (sideways) which would keep the (beefy) verticals tied together. It would not need to be thick (1/8th inch?) or full length so bolt access would still be good.

Props for making your own mounts, keep it up !
                  Ok, I can see how that could help keep the vaginas from opening.

And thanks for the compliment to accompany your advice. That makes your advice so much more palatable.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~
                  I was born on 3/25…
                  ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
                    I reckon I should see about the shift linkage today. Maybe it'll be all serendipitous as well...
                    Not serendipitous. It needs to be about 3 5/8" shorter than it is. Exactly 1 piston width, it makes sense if you think about it because I basically added one piston to the front and one piston to the back of an m10.

Little more cutting and a little more welding...
                    ~~~~~~~~~~
                    I was born on 3/25…
                    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Generally the tightest clearance is the dist cap to radiator clearance, have you/are you going to mock up a head with cap and mount your radiator to check clearance before you modify shift linkage, finalize engine mounts, etc to fit at the current engine position?
                      Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Generally the tightest clearance is the dist cap to radiator clearance, have you/are you going to mock up a head with cap and mount your radiator to check clearance before you modify shift linkage, finalize engine mounts, etc to fit at the current engine position?
                        Nope. That shit is all done now. If the distributor cap doesn't fit, I'll just be forced to go wasted spark. Honestly, I think I'm in at least position 2.5, maybe even 3. I believe it will fit, but I didn't want to go any further back so as to not have to shorten the driveshaft.

I'm currently in a battle in my head of wether to go n/a at first, or just go for the whole shebang and slap a supercharger on it right off the bat. If I do forced first, I'll be doing another MS2 so wasted spark won't be too big of a deal.

Irrrrregardless, I just got the shift linkage all fixed up and it's titties. Round, firm, yet still bouncy, titties.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~
                        I was born on 3/25…
                        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Yea make sure you put you replace your cap and rotor before putting the rad in other wise it makes for a pita to get it in and out

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

A little shifter rod shortening. Cut out 3 5/8", ground the cut ends and welded them back together.

I also cut off the shifter carrier and drilled two new holes for mounting it to the transmission (sorry no pics). It literally took about 3 minutes. I then added a small bit of angle iron to mount the back of the shifter carrier to the chassis.

Closer...

Fin

Shifter assembly is in and adjusted nicely. No binding, smooth action.
                            ~~~~~~~~~~
                            I was born on 3/25…
                            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Looking good! I really wish you had pictures of the carrier. I have some ideas of how I will do mine once I position the engine and figure out how much to cut out, but I always like seeing other people's approaches.

Comment

I did get one pic, but a bit blurry. It was super easy. I just cut 3 5/8" off of the transmission end (front) of it and drilled two new holes for mounting it back (g240). No welding at all. I believe i just got lucky on the style of carrier. Here it is just before I cut it. But I just replicated the two holes after I cut. Then it was done.

~~~~~~~~~~
                                I was born on 3/25…
                                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X