Valentine - A family's story of E30s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valentine - A family's story of E30s

You'll understand why we call it Valentine-just bear with me.

E30s have been in the family longer than I have, starting with this beauty, a 1985 I believe.

Fresh out of college, my Dad bought this 318i in hennarot - complete with a 4 speed, bottlecaps, drum brakes, and dat ride height. This one cycled through the family pretty quickly, however. On a fateful day at the beach, it was parked too close to the spray. The tide came in, and the rest is history. He replaced the interior, made sure it was running, and sold it.

Between this and the current car was a Buick Skylark. We don't talk about that.

Moving on, to Valentine, bought on February 14, 1987. A 325is in Zinno. I don't have any vintage pictures of it, but I do of it in recent years. It's been daily'd every year of it's life, and is at about 270,000 miles at this point (give or take a few, it's on the second instrument cluster).

If you're looking for a cool build, stop now...this will be mostly pictures because high school kid.

Tan interior, though it came with black floor mats originally. Since I've gotten around to driving it, we've taken it to a couple car shows.

2012 E30 Picnic

A couple pics shortly thereafter...

Quite a bit of work was done between the 2012 and 2013 picnics, namely a new clutch and shifter pieces. Last clutch lasted about 200K miles, but by the time it was getting replaced, I believe it was the shifter selecting rod that was starting to shear off. Had West Werks on the job, they got it running again in a weekend.

Tackled the rear bumper surrounds and replaced a leaky bumper shock (from an accident before I was around) before the 2013 picnic.

2013 Picnic

It's a daily, deal with it.

What I drive, compared to what my friend drives...his mirrors are higher than the roof line.

The front bumper strips really needed work...

The new-ish boss...not really the same as the old boss.

2014 Bimmers and Burgers at the XXX Root Beer Stand

And the most recent photos, the 2014 E30 Picnic. There was a smudge on the lens, so an unintentional soft focus was achieved...still a great event, caravan-ed out with the guys from West Werks. Keeping up on the on-ramps was a challenge...

And I finally fixed those ghastly bumper strips! Had to tear the whole front end off to take them off and paint them, but I got it done just in time, the night before the big show.

So there you have it. Nothing really planned for the future because that'd require $$. Just wanted to do a little chronology of a car that's been in the family for a long while. For now, I'm just driving it to my last year of high school ;D
    Last edited by NMusolino; 10-26-2014, 11:10 AM.
    sigpic
    12/86 Zinno 325is

that car is in great shape for the miles.

congrats on maintaining a really neat car!

Dave

Comment

What a great rear, thanks for sharing - absolutely beautiful IS :-) Amazing that its been with you guys since day one - fantastic. Wish you many more a happy journey together. Heres to 300k!
      sigpic
      Russell A Macfarlane (30)
      Dalgety Bay, Scotland
      1987 BMW E30 316 4 Door Zinnobar Red

Comment

man i wish i had an e30 my senior year

Comment

Great IS glad to see a car that has been so well loved.
          Bmw CCA # 490080

1995 525iA RIP
          1987 325e Cirrusblau-Metallic/Pacific Blue (Daily)

DSC_1725 by Matthew Johnson, on Flickr

Comment

:up:
            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Great story. Great E30!
              sigpic
              1991 318is Alpinweiß II M42

2013 VW Golf R Candy White

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers."

Comment

Kinda looks like the e30 in respect your elders...

Hmmm
                = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

Originally posted by totheredline View Post
                  Kinda looks like the e30 in respect your elders...

Hmmm
                  ;D
                  I wish but no

X-post from the 3rd/4th gear pull thread, great camera work I know :roll:

3rd gear:

4th gear:
                  sigpic
                  12/86 Zinno 325is

Comment

cool history!
                    91 DS S52 Slicktop, 91 Calypso M42, 89 Royalblau M20, 84 Bahama Beige 323i, M535, Euro e24, ap1

www.RenownUSA.com
                    ig @RenownUSA / @rude.scott

Comment

Two DTM-ish Meisters meet again.

Also, parts! No go-fast-bits here, just some maintenance items.

New air filter, steering flex disk, antenna grommet, fan clutch, coolant sensor, and taillight gaskets. And it needed them...

Looks to be surface rust, not sure how I'm going to take care of this.
                      Last edited by NMusolino; 02-16-2015, 03:31 PM.
                      sigpic
                      12/86 Zinno 325is

Comment

Gave Valentine some love. Replaced the air filter, taillight gaskets, and changed the oil. Did what I could with the tail panel rust, it was only on the surface on the right side, but all the way through on the left. Sanded off what I could and covered it in rattle can primer for now, it's all the budget would allow.

Also installed the George Graves ambient temperature sensor, now it isn't 85°F all the time.

Works pretty well, unfortunately it was too small to fit snug in the factory hole on the IS valance, so it's zip-tied to the metal valance behind it. This means at a stop it reads about 8° high, but other than that, no complaints.
                        sigpic
                        12/86 Zinno 325is

Comment

Wow! How many miles? Looks really clean. Good effort, especially as you've maintained it on a tight budget.

As for your rust, if it's right through the only real fix is to cut out the rot and weld in new metal. If you do the prep and the paint yourself and just pay the welder for the actual welding it shouldn't be too bad a price. That car's too good to let the rot take hold.

Comment

About 268,000 miles. The cluster was replaced at 12,500, so the cluster in the car reads 255k despite the real mileage.

Originally posted by RetroAde View Post
                            As for your rust, if it's right through the only real fix is to cut out the rot and weld in new metal.
                            I know, it hurts to look at. Luckily it isn't too bad at the moment, but I'm hoping to get it taken care of properly before it spreads.
                            sigpic
                            12/86 Zinno 325is

Comment

Technical question for y'all. Had a fuel leak a couple weeks ago, and replaced the hose with a cheap one until I decide what I'd like to do.

I was a bit confused by a fuel leak running to the AC lines, but after a little research found out that late '86 production date cars came with a fuel cooler, run through the AC system. However, my AC hasn't worked in forever, to the point that the condenser isn't even on the car. Will the fuel cooler even work without working ac? And if it will, is it necessary? As far as I know only 11/86 and 12/86 even had them.

If I decide to, how would I go about deleting it? These two hard lines run along the firewall to the cooler. Getting this off will make taking out what's left of my AC a little easier, so I'm looking for advice on what route to take.
                              sigpic
                              12/86 Zinno 325is

Comment

Working...
                              X