1989 BMW 325I mini restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 BMW 325I mini restoration

Meant to post this back in March when I got the car but just have been slacking. I purchased this 1989 BMW 325I sedan as fun reliable daily that would not require much maintenance nor attract unwanted attention from thieves and police. Found her all the way up in Maine of all places from a previous owner that needed something with more space for his DJ equipment. He was deep in the boons of Maine, and coming from long island NY it was going to be a Long trip. I mean LOOOONG (6hrs each way)

there she is just as advertised

lock and loaded!!!

on her way to her new home

time for a little TLC. Hard compound and polish to bring back that red!!

shampoo and vacuum the carpet back to freshness(dont forget to remove the seats, previous owner had a dog)

With some of the cosmetics out of the way time to tear into that 25 year old suspension!!!

my other toy ;)

Might as well do the "hard" side 1st. New factory sub frame bushings, trailing arm bushings, hubs, bearings, upgrade to a IS LSD and steel braided lines with Bilstein Sport struts and H&R race springs

refurbished the original axles while they were out.

rear done!!!

fresh front end overhaul..

Rear bumper and rear body was sprayed black by previous owner for some reason and thinner wasnt really getting rid of it so I prepped and hit it with Krylon red that matches pretty close...

Front valance was busted to shit too. Till I got my new one ready I figured I would just get this one more appealing.

Far from perfect but better than before.

Scored some IX rims rims that fit pretty nice. just needs new properly sized rubber

Stripped and time for gunmetal coats

new rubber for the street!!!

Wasn't getting any bleed from the rear and found that the line was basically dead all the way to the ABS module. so I ordered another used one and hoped for the best!!! In that bottle is what came out the rear lines after the module swap and bleed.

DIY shadow line trim upgrade...

Brand new OEM front valance, IS rear trunk spoiler and drivers side fender

prepped and ready with fresh stone guard on the lower front valance ...

my boss stayed late on a rainy Friday night to help spray these panels (booth had a leak issued from outside hence the huge puddle)

Saturday luckily was dry and sunny which was great install day!!! Also a perfect time to upgrade the condenser for

new front IS lip ;) and used fogs from the forum!!!

Happy with the color match on the fender to the door and hood. Not bad match considering the fender was shot in 2 stage waterborne paint and matched to 25 year old original single stage paint

Resprayed the under coating guard on the rockers and rear bumper.

All done for now.... Only thing left that I really want to do is put in rear head rest, and spec e30 front/rear sway bars &brakets. Not pictured was when I installed a factory radio, swapped to an e36 m3 steering rack and island engineering oil pan baffle and oil scrapper kit. It was 90 degrees, I was by myself during that install and did not have the time and or patience to document ;)

Damn man, thats fantastic work. Very clean for a daily driver. Love the type R also.
    91 318is M50 swapped
    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Nice work, That came out pretty good, Why did you go so far for the car? Rust free or nice interior condition?

Comment

Awesome job keep it up

M20B28 Turbo

My Build Thread

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255839

Comment

thanks. and i went that far cause there really wasn't anything else closer worth getting. Either that or i didn't have the cash on hand to scoop one earlier.

Comment

Nice transformation.

Comment

I love it!

Comment

I like see a build come together. Well done! :up: Im digging that Type-R too!

COTM

Comment

great job. It gives me great pleasure to bring a car back just like you're doing - so I know how much fun you probably had in doing all that!

when you resprayed the lower valence in red just at home - guessing you rattle canned it? where did you get the paint that would match?

Keep us updated!
                  91 DS S52 Slicktop, 91 Calypso M42, 89 Royalblau M20, 84 Bahama Beige 323i, M535, Euro e24, ap1

www.RenownUSA.com
                  ig @RenownUSA / @rude.scott

Comment

very nice.

More pics of the type-r....or ban....
                    "I came into this world, not chiefly to make this a good place to live in, but to live in it, be it good or bad" -Henry Thoreau-
                    1991 318is - the cruiser
                    1989 325i - the rats nest

Comment

Nice! I love that type r as well! A guy local to me has a yellow type r integra like that, but like it in white a lot better. More pictures !
                      88' E30 325 24v Turbo Coupe
                      91' E30 325i Sedan
                      09' E82 135i Coupe (Sold)
                      01' E46 325ci Coupe (Sold)
                      97' E36 328is Coupe (Sold)
                      91' E30 325i m52 Coupe (Sold)
                      90' E30 325is Coupe (Sold)
                      90' E30 325ic Coupe (Sold)
                      88' E30 325is m20 Turbo Coupe (Sold)
                      88' E30 325 Coupe (Sold)
                      87' E30 325e Coupe (Sold)
                      86' E30 325es Coupe (Sold)

Comment

Did you just replace the axle CV joints / boots and paint it all? Where did you get the joints?

Comment

Looking good!
                          What kind of paint did you use for the wheels?

Comment

Simple and clean!!
                            1989 325I(M20B25US)|KAMotors CAI|Bilstein Sports|H&R Sports|ST Sways|SSSquid Tune|Red46 Sump Armor|

Comment

Awesome job, looks really clean.. what size spacer are you using on the iX rims?
                              1988 BMW 325iS

Comment

Working...
                              X