Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I knew I'd be back....

Hey Guys,

I've been gone for some time from the E30 game. In that time I became a license BMW technician. About 4 years ago I tried to get back in by purchasing a pretty much rust free 84 325e. I didn't have the room for it and let it go for super cheap to a buddy at work. I regretted it, but c'est la vi. Last year they hired a new guy at work and through conversation he mentioned he had a E30. Long story short, he ended up buying my E30 off the guy I sold it to. Between the owner after me and him, they did quite a bit of work. I told him if he ever wanted to get rid of it, I'd pick it up off him. Again long story short, I ended up picking it up.

The low down:

84 325e 5 spd coupe
    Black with a primered fender
    ESM 17" LM reps
    Recaro CTR seats
    MOMO Drift wheel
    RX7 Turbo II front brake conversion from Massive Lee
    M20B27 Bottom end with M52 crank
    885 head with head work
    ARP studs
    Mishimoto FMIC
    Precision 6262
    Turbosmart 44mm External
    VEMS V3 stand alone.
    3.73 LSD

It runs and drives. Needs a bunch of small things fixed like the head liner installed, passenger window fixed. The wiring is a bit of a disaster, I'm ordering a universal harness from VEMS to sort it out. It also doesn't have a IACV setup which is kind of annoying, I need to get that sorted out. It comes with brand new H&R sport springs and Bilstein sports which will be installed. I'm planning on wrapping the car too, I was thinking dark flat grey.

The car is basically going to be a street car. I want to pick up a set of M&H slicks and dial the car in for street launches. Right now on 8psi it boogies pretty good. The engine came from another car, in that car it made 440whp on 26psi. I want it back at that, I'll tune it myself.

I'll update with more progress as I go along.
    1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

I love it when things come back around again. Great re-pick-up(?)!
    Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

As you can see the wiring is a mess. So I ordered a VEMS V3 twinsheild universal harness. Here it is on the bench. I was having issues with reading out the ecu, a combination of Windows 7 and my own mental challenge of not installing a fuse stopped that. But it's sorted now.

The harness is really well sorted. It comes with a separate relay harness that has ECU, Fuel Pump and Cooling fan relays, and 1 accessory relay. I just need to splice on the connectors for the sensors and configure the I/O's in VEMSTUNE and it should be good. I'm trying to keep the engine bay as clean as possible. So I'm going to run the harness under the manifold.

I also ordered a VEMS display. It plugs into the serial port of the VEMS when it's not in use and displays the Vitals. I'm going to put it where the center vents are.

I also took advantage of Revshift's christmas deal and ordered Engine, Trans and a Diff mount. Along with a Turbo-Guard mesh screen for the inlet.
      1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Little update:

I order pretty much every mount you can get from Revshift, E46 M3 rear shock mounts, and and new front strut mounts. Car should be pretty solid after. I'm just not looking forward to dropping the rear subframe.

I got the car running decently well, I still have to install the new engine harness and wire some other thing (Speed sensor to VEMS for boost by gear)

I took the car for a drive and did a long 2nd to 4th pull. When I went to hit the brakes it went right to the floor, pumping them did nothing. They were fine before, no signs of leaks. I pulled the master cylinder out and checked it, I didn't see any leaks and fluid was still within the min max range. I think the check valve might have taken a shit and pushed air into the master through the brake booster. Has anyone ever heard of this?

I also tried installing the new headliner. I don't know if there is a worse job. It looks terrible but is in there. The C-pillars are a nightmare and I'm pretty sure the rear glass has to come out to do it properly.

Anyways, here's a video of it running and some pictures. It's on a 205 tire, so it spun into 4th a bit, boogies pretty hard on 14psi, it crept to 20psi though, not sure why. The suspension is so old and shit, it floats around.

Obligatory Tim Hortons because Canada.

Also installed the turbo blanket and mesh filter, because early style rads don't like to leave room for filters.
        1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Soooooo I got the car to my work (BMW dealer) and started digging in. Turns out that the person who did the rx7 brakes put the wrong calipers and pins in and they fell out. Resulting in the brake pads coming loose and eventually making their way out. That's why the the pedal went to the floor. So I ordered new calipers and installed them. Then ran into another problem, my wheels don't fit against the rotor surface when torqued, so I ordered a set of 1.5mm rotor spacers from Massive Lee.

While I'm waiting for those I installed the front suspension, H&R sport springs with new shocks and mounts. Along with Revshift offset control arm bushings in 95a poly. Nice pieces. Next is the rear subframe drop to put all the new parts in which will happen this weekend hopefully without a hitch.

New fronts with some serious rake. The car is dirty as shit and I'm getting it vinyl wrapped when I'm done with the mechanical

I have some serious work to do before it's road worthy. I'm focusing on the suspension then I can dig into the wiring and asthetics.

Sam
          1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

sounds great and looks like its coming along well. Subbed.
            87 ETA | Hibernating

Comment

Hooked up idle air control yesterday through the vems leftover 2 injector outputs. Got it idling hot and starting right away with no pedal input. Going to work on getting it to idle around 800 rpm today, and hopefully cold start. Car runs a lot better with IAC. Vems can do PID closed loop control which will stabilize it even more. Gotta read up on it a bit more though.Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1427389879884.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	7175952
              1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Dropped the rear subframe. Pretty drama free. The car was under coated to shit which helped quite a bit. The driver side parking brake cable was the only real pain. I got the revshift subframe lift bushings, trailing arm and differential bushings. I still have to put the trailing arms in, in the morning and get it all back together.

I also have to install the new rear shocks with e46 m3 mounts and the h&r springs. I'm hoping it's a big difference from the 30 year old components that were in there before. I just need to order new front lower control arms and I've replaced every component in the suspension. The front outer ball joints are shot. If I hit a bump the wheel gets a bad shake. They're about to fall out. I also have new rear pads and rotors.

I also got rid of the factory oil cooler and just put a eta stub in. It was hack mounted to the from valance and was stopping me from putting the front lip on. Also it's useless.

Sam
                1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

I finally got the rear end in and everything all buttoned up. The car drives much better and the bushings were a huge improvement. Rear end feels way more planted. The springs haven't settled yet but I'm happy with the ride height. I ordered the clips for the trim and front lip. I also picked up a iS rear spoiler.

Next is wiring..

1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Clean set of kidneys would complement the car well! Dig the rear ended refresh you did. Very tempting to do but I can't justify it on my dd. I need another e30 !

Comment

So I replaced the wiring harness with a new one from VEMS. A few hiccups to say the least. I got the harness in, cranked it, fuel pump primed, crank crank crank no cranking signal. Checked my CPS wiring, accidentally wired 5v to it. It being a VR sensor, it generates it's own voltage.

So the car fires up and is shooting flames out the back. Sounded like the firing order was wrong. But I was 100% sure I wired it all according to how the coils were set up. Turns out someone had moved the coils around on their mounting plate and messed me up. So I swapped the setting around in VEMStune, and it was now shooting huge clouds of black smoke. I rechecked my wiring 10 times over and couldn't find anything, checked outputs, nothing. I could only get it to run with the fuel pump unplugged, so I know it's most likely a fuel issue.

Fast forward to 3 days later, I started the car, misfiring, shut it off and pulled the plugs. All were dry except cylinder 5. Manually checked output to cylinder 5 - 0v off 12v on. Left the injector unplugged, started the car, shut it off and pulled the plugs, 5 is soaked.

So it's safe to say that cylinder 5 injector is stuck open. I ordered a new set of Bosch EV14 650cc's (60 lb/hr) from a 2014 GT500. They should be here this week, and my buddy said that the car will run a lot better on them as they can run much lower pulsewidth's more consistently. Which means better idle and drivability.

So once those get here I can get back to tackling everything else and get it plated.
                      1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Picked up some parts. A new crack free windshield, headlight covers, some interior trim, rear seats and a iS rear spoiler.

Midway through the wiring replacement. Moved the coil, looks much cleaner then before. Still have a lot of work to do though.

I also flipped the cooler and stripped the paint off it. I didn't like the black cooler look, plus it gets chipped easy and looks like shit.

Also, the pump was making some weird noises. Found this beauty when I pulled it out. I fixed it up properly and feel a lot safer.

On a side note, I did a lot of work on this 72 2002tii. Car has low miles, 43,000mi. Did a top end reseal, replaced the front calipers and lines, new radiator. It sat for 4 years, so I drained the fuel system, serviced the pump, cap and rotor and set timing. Also rebuilt the wiper motor and washer pump.
                        1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

So I did some work today. I installed a new crack free windshield with a new lock strip. I also rattle canned the rear quarter temporarily till I figure something else out. I put in rear seats, installed a iS spoiler that doesn't match, and moved the VEMS display to a new home. I ordered new lock strips for the rear window, as they shrunk and pulled the seal away from the car with it. This is causing a leak onto the rear seat.

I also fixed the blower motor, and the car shutting off when you turn the headlights on. I just need to tidy up some wiring and wait for my injectors and I should be good to go for licensing.

Also painted a new intake manifold, because John Deere green isn't doing it for me.

I have to cut a centre vent and run the wire through the dash so it look's pretty.

Quarter ghetto paint

New glass in, I didn't have a picture of it with the lock strip in. It's a pain in the ass when you can't find the BMW special tool at work. Mind you it probably hasn't been used in 20 years so.....
                          1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

It's a stupid, filthy, and incurable disease.

Welcome back.
                            Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Little update.

I've been busy at work but have had time to get the car on the road. Long story short, at some point the crank sensor was shorted and it ended up damaging the Primary trigger circuit. I had to get a new VEMS unit which sucked. But fixed a lot of my problems.

I also ended up switching injectors from Seimens DEKA 630cc's to Bosch EV14 650cc. I didn't need more fuel, I just needed an injector that helped out with drive-ability due to the ability to run lower pulsewidths more consistently.

I haven't put the car on the dyno yet for a few reasons, but it is street tuned at 1.0bar and it moves pretty good. I took a 400whp civic, my buddies 911 turbo and a bunch of other decently quick cars.

The reason it hasn't gone on the dyno is because the clutch is slipping and the transmission is making some God-awful noises. I got a clutch built by a local company that has a good reputation. They took my stock clutch and converted it to a 4 puck unsprung and modded the pressure plate for a higher clamping force. They said it will hold 450-500ft-lbs on a drag radial no problem. When I pulled the transmission I found out why I kept missing gears, and the source of the noise. Turns out someone neglected to put a pilot bearing in, this caused some fuckery with the input shaft bearing, causing the clutch to misalign during shifts and drag. So I got a new Getrag 260 .91 part number (which accepts plate style and newer style shifters). This is good because now I can keep my plate style I rebuilt with a E90 335is shift lever, or swap over to a new style. Either way it's a direct swap.

The transmission is going back in tomorrow and then I can break the clutch in. Hopefully I can get to the track on Friday night and see what I can throw down in the 1/4. Based off some cars I've run in Mexico, it should run a mid 12 second pass given I can get traction. My goal is a high 11 second pass on a drag radial. I might have to drive the shit out of it to do that but it's possible.

I got some videos of some Mexican racing league passes.

I will update once I get it all back together. I'm vinyl wrapping the car, not sure what colour. Either Flat grey, gloss grey or a dark blue.
                              1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Working...
                              X