No announcement yet.

Hello! White late model coupe from the bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love this car. It's always an inspiration for me.

Comment

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
      Is that shift knob just a regular vinyl mushroom?
      Yessir! It was cheap, and I plan to wrap it with suede and stitch it up!

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
      Love this car. It's always an inspiration for me.
      Thanks, I'm glad I was able to give you a few ideas!

Check out my Alpine's DEAD build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=348571

E36 M3 Build thread http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=597637

Comment

God bless, this is literally the sexiest E30 I've ever seen. So much inspiration.

Comment

Wow that interior, if you ever decide to take in orders to replicate your seats and such I'll be the first to sign up.

Comment

Hey guys, looks like it’s time for a big update. I’ve been very busy with school this past semester and any time I’ve dedicated to wrenching was doing so, neglecting to post any updates.
            The project left off on my interior; half complete with a questionable completion date.

Here are a few photos of how the car looked for some time…

Wend ahead and did a paint correction and polish at the end of last year, sealed with Carbon Collective Hybrid coating. AWESOME product! Easier than a wax with more protection!

Installed e36 window switches, because I got tired of mashing the e30 switches to get the windows to roll down. Seriously a MUST HAVE!

Had the car PDR’d! Now it's about as ding free as it'll get until I do body work!

I’m not sure If I had updated you guys on this, but I switched sewing machines to a 90’s Phaff computerized machine. Unfortunately, it broke a timing belt from old age and I was out of the machine for over a month and a half dealing with various BS from repair shops. Got it fixed eventually and went back to it! Between taking on 18 units and representing an advertising company at two dealerships here in town I was quite tied up and seldom worked on it. Spring break was my opportunity to work nonstop and finish the interior, and that I did! Here are a few photos outlining my process. I apologize for them not being too in depth as I was petty focused on getting it done! I also won’t spend too much time explaining my challenges and tricks and what not as I’d like to streamline this thread and cut the looooooong updates. This will be the last one! Afterwards I’ll keep it to short updates.

Picked up a very clean grey/black carpet and went to town with the pressure washer and carpet cleaner!

Carpet and interior installed:

All in the details!

Yellow belts, because… Porsche? IMO, the red belts looked weird against the m rain. The red clashed with the red rain droplets and subdued the purple and blue droplets. I wanted a color that would still be widely accepted in the motorsports world that broke the red trend. Some love it, some hate it. I personally love it!

Sold (traded) the RS for 17x8.5 et13 OZ futuras in 5x120. I was hoping to have them redrilled however most semi-local shops weren’t willing to take on the project. I went ahead and sold them with other plans.

I got in communication with the guys over at MTechnica/Memoryfab. They’ve been in business for just about 10 years and have released many awesome wheel designs and started a few lasting trends that have been now copied by companies such as Rota and Avid1 (and a few other rep companies). I had always seen the 16” Turbos run on e30’s. However recently I have been wanting to go to a 17” diameter to run the same fitment with more ground clearance and less F***ed Geometry (I plan to add roll center correction soon as well).
            I test fitted the 17x8.5 et19 2 piece Aero’s and ended up going 17x8.5 et19 front (2” lip) and 17x9 et12 (2.5” lip) rear. After chatting for some time, We discussed pricing and my plans with the car. I’ll be representing them at various BMW events this year, so if you have any interest in a set or have any questions, feel free to ask!

I chose 215/40/17 Yokohama S drives since they were the closest to original rolling diameter.

After playing with fitment, I have decided to run a 10mm spacer up front to get that aggressive look. I also would like to possibly downsize to the 2” lip in the rear and up the tire size all around to either a 225/35/17 or 235/40 depending on accessibility! Got to have more meats!

Pre-Bimmerfest I prepped the car and installed a set of OEM IS skirts. I was disappointed with the original clips as they forced the skirts away from the body. The night before the event I pulled them off replaced the clips with 3M mounting tape. (Only temporary until I have some time to come up with a method to get a straight line) I’ll likely use both the mounting tape and the clips.

I guess I don't have any photos of the painting process, but it was basically the same as my rear bumper/Valance/front Valance

Wavy

That's better

I also swapped in an 2.93 open diff just for the trip. SO WORTH IT! The car purred along at just under 3k RPMs traveling 85mph.

Just for giggles, I decided I wanted to make a new splitter. 1/8 inch ABS from TAP plastics did the job. I achieved the bends with a heat gun and the edge of the work table and went with an aggressive look that protrudes further than my old splitter, and extends on the sides all the way to the tires. (Now that I’m back I’ll be playing with a few more design ideas that will potentially go as far as making the splitter into an under tray for the front end.

Fixed my exhaust hangers and centered/ sucked the exhaust closer to the valance! Added some gold DEI tape because why not?

Drove down to Bimmerfest 17” with the BAV500 caravan where a ton of us got pulled over and were issued a bucket full of fix it tickets. I ended up getting one for my catback exhaust (definitely under 95db) So I swapped on the stocker and am hoping to have it signed off in the next few days, wish me luck! The officer wasn’t too harsh, however he had me pop my hood and go through the whole process… oh well!

The trip was a success with plenty of great photos, friendly new faces, and not a single skipped beat from the car.

Photos will be added from my phone/Tapatalk shortly!
            Last edited by Toodaloo; 06-12-2017, 07:37 PM.

Check out my Alpine's DEAD build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=348571

Comment

Originally posted by oprahhwinfreyy View Post
              God bless, this is literally the sexiest E30 I've ever seen. So much inspiration.

Oh my, thank you so much!!!

Originally posted by Jokester View Post
              Wow that interior, if you ever decide to take in orders to replicate your seats and such I'll be the first to sign up.

Thanks! I have quite a few interested in full interiors and just panels or seats or whatever have you. This thread will be the first to know! I actually have some plans on releasing a few products/services this summer to the e30 community with the support of a few good friends in the industry such as the guys over at Bavrest!

I want to make some things really clear If I haven't already. I'm trying to streamline this thread so I wasn't able to cover the many challenges and how far I have taken my OCD when redoing the simplest of things. every piece of hardware gets cleaned and lubricated or coated if necessary, the seat frames were stripped of any rust and repainted, the bolster fabrics were stretched over the seats neumerous times, restitched, etc. just to get the fit JUST right without a single crease or any nonsense. When it comes to this car, I have been a complete perfectionist and don't allow any half-assing :hitler:

I also Redid the undercoating because I wasn't happy with the Permatex stuff.. (It's garbage, and stays tacky). I stripped any dirt and grease before Bimmerfest and re-undercaoted the Wheel wells with the 3M undercoating. I have found it to be a much superior product! Cleaned up the suspension while I was in there and played with the ride hight for the 17's

Last edited by Toodaloo; 06-12-2017, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Amazing! I love your build. Love the attention to detail.

Comment

I love this thing. Your attention to detail is amazing. Love the interior, and I dig the yellow. Keep it up man!

Comment

Your workmanship is very nice as is your attention to details and you have a talent for upholstery.How did the PDR go ?,was he able to remove even very small marks that might not even be called dings?I have a number of small areas on my original white paint car that I would like to remove.

Comment

You have a gift with that upholstery work. Seriously my favorite E30 I've ever seen.

Comment

Oh my lord, my wallet is jumping at you lol. Man I want that interior

Comment

Originally posted by cspec View Post
                          Amazing! I love your build. Love the attention to detail.
                          Originally posted by Trev View Post
                          I love this thing. Your attention to detail is amazing. Love the interior, and I dig the yellow. Keep it up man!
                          Thanks for your words guys! It's the little things :D

Originally posted by 1843lamp View Post
                          Your workmanship is very nice as is your attention to details and you have a talent for upholstery.How did the PDR go ?,was he able to remove even very small marks that might not even be called dings?I have a number of small areas on my original white paint car that I would like to remove.
                          Thank you! The PDR went well. I only had a few actual dents that are noticeable, otherwise I had very light dings that basically only I would notice at certain lighting angles. I would say it's roughly 80% better than it was before. Not perfect, as it's very hard to make crooked metal straight again, but its about as close as it can be without sanding down the panels and refinishing them.

Originally posted by oprahhwinfreyy View Post
                          You have a gift with that upholstery work. Seriously my favorite E30 I've ever seen.
                          Thanks so much!

Originally posted by Jokester View Post
                          Oh my lord, my wallet is jumping at you lol. Man I want that interior
                          Haha! As I was saying, I may be playing with some product ideas this summer.. I've also contemplated doing another interior (Think e46 m3 cinnamon or a light brown leather theme) It certainly wouldn't flow with the yellow belts, but If I ended up keeping it, I would just do another set of belts. That would mean this whole interior would go up for sale possibly ;)

Comment

Thank you for replying about the PDR.I have been thinking about having this done on my car but was inclined to not try to do the ones that you mentioned can only be seen if you really look for them down the side of the car ,I think it would be easy to make them worse not better.I used to do much body work and paint for show cars and I am very particular ,and detail oriented .

Comment

Short update:

Finally adjusted the bumper shocks and got it to sit nice and straight! Why didn't I do this earlier!?

Since I added the side skirts, the lower rear half of the car seemed a little out of balance to my eye. I went ahead and resprayed the rear valance for the second time in my ownership. Last time I added the lower black trim to flow with the rest of the body. But now that I have the skirts, she stays all white!
                              (I'll get some photos of the finished product soon) for now you'll have to put up with a primed shot ;)

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X