E30 Build (cosmetics mostly) paint, strut bar, upholstery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Build (cosmetics mostly) paint, strut bar, upholstery

I'm new to the e30, as well to any bmw. I've had a Acura TL and a mazdaspeed 3. I wanted to save money so I bought a 89 325i. Nice cars and parts are a lot cheaper. I am more willing to do more stuff on it since I got the car at a really good price for the condition it's in. AC and speedometer weren't working and were easy fixes. Just a few cosmetics. I have the summer off so I'm putting it to good use.
    I'm taking a auto body paint class just so I can save some money on a few dents the car had and some peeling clear coat. It will also be nice to know how to do it myself.
    I'm also taking a welding class. The teacher said he will work with me on making a strut bar. I'm pretty good on measuring and CAD software. I'm a senior in mechanical engineering. I'm not going to get too technical with it though. Just something basic like the sparco strut bar.
    I have just ordered some material to do the upholstery in the car. Im just gonna try to trace over the old, cut and sew. Trying to do everything within the next month. I will be posting pictures on this post. Any input or advice would be will be appreciated.

The first two are pics when I first bought it a few months ago
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1342.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	7244157

Name:	IMG_1355.JPG
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	7244158

I did some maintenance

Name:	IMG_1425.jpg
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	7244159

Name:	IMG_1467.jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	7244160

When I bought it the whole left side had one long dent from where the previous owner backed into something. Instead of fixing the door I bought one with a few dings.

Name:	IMG_1551.JPG
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	7244161

I started pulling dents out yesterday
    [ATTACH]97895[/ATTACH]

I know it may seem tacky, but Im going two tone. Im going to use this 3D spacer mesh for the center of the seats
    [ATTACH]97896[/ATTACH]

Comment

That will be a lot of red. Careful.

Good work so far...
      ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

I was only planning on putting red on the perforated parts and the rest black vinyl.
        Attached Files

Comment

2 tone is pretty tacky, unless your doing black with alcantera, or just different patterns.

But im interested to see how it turns out, red on red sounds racer boi to me lol.
          1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
          willschnitz

Comment

Haha, yeah. I kinda regretted it once I ordered it. Was thinking grey and black but I saw a car with Cardinal interior and I just liked the red. O'well. I wanted a really dark red were it would blend in with the black but couldn't find the color with the material I wanted.

Comment

red on red is gross. don't do it!
              www.instagram.com/snwmble
              #snwmble

Current:
              '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
              '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
              '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
              '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
              '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
              '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
              '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
              '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

A gray/black cloth would look most aesthetically pleasing in that car.
                1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                willschnitz

Comment

Everyone calm down!!! I got them to change the color of the spacer fabric to black before they shipped it. I thought about it. It will be the black fabric with black vinyl. How does red stitching sound? So kinda just the outlines are red.

Comment

Red stitching.. at least it aint red inserts.
                    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Just started some upholstery!
                      Attached Files

Comment

is that fabric auto grade?
                        Originally posted by blunttech
                        Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
                        :shock:

Comment

The vinyl is auto grade. The mesh fabric is polyester and the description said "lining, medical slings and seat covers." It seems like really good quality fabric too

Comment

Working...
                          X