Hibernation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hibernation

The Vert has been up on the lift for about 2 months now. Just getting around to posting some pictures and updates!

Background: over the last week or so I took out the exhaust and drivetrain in order to pull the transmission.

Background to the Background: I bought this car sight unseen and was promised it was mechanically sound. On my first drive, 3rd gear was blown, 1st slipped out occasionally and there was a large misfire... gotta love dealerships.

Anyways, here's what I did today!:)

I started by removing the shift rod, fairly simple actually. Biggest pain was those clips.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3418.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	7246279

Name:	IMG_3416.jpg
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	7246276

Then I fully removed my entire shift assembly from within the car. (Forgot to take pictures of the process.)

Name:	IMG_3426.jpg
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	7246277

next was to drain the transmission.

Name:	IMG_3423.jpg
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	7246278

Now to the clutch slave cylinder. I decided not to disconnect the fluid line in order to avoid disrupting it.

Name:	IMG_3428.jpg
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	7246280

more to come. I'll try to do a full how to when I actually drop the transmission out! :p
    "I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car than win by an inch because someone else built it for me... Your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book."

-MOOG

Update!

Transmission is out, we were stuck on that top bolt for a few days actually.

Name:	IMG_3477.jpg
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	7181691

Name:	IMG_3474.jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	7181692

Anyone know a good, reasonably priced clutch kit? Stage 2 ish..
    "I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car than win by an inch because someone else built it for me... Your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book."

-MOOG

Comment

How difficult was it to remove your shift assembly? Im planning on taking my out soon to redo the bushings and install a short shift.I keep getting mixed answers as to what i need to remove before in order to access the shift linkage/assembly
      sigpic
      91' 318is Brilliantrot
      Yes, it still has an m42

Comment

Hope you have a heated garage :)
        Current:
        1989 325i
        1988 M3
        1987 325ic
        Past:
        2001 330ci
        2001 M3

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianDirty30 View Post
          How difficult was it to remove your shift assembly? Im planning on taking my out soon to redo the bushings and install a short shift.I keep getting mixed answers as to what i need to remove before in order to access the shift linkage/assembly

It was fairly easy for me. I used an article off of pelican. I believe it's titled something like "replacing shift bushings" The car they used is an e36, fear not its nearly 100% the same as an e30. The whole job took me about an hour including pre research and taking pictures and sorting out parts afterwards. PM if you have questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-MOOG

Comment

Alright awesome man thanks for the advice! I'll give it a go in a couple days after some research. If I have any questions I'll shoot you a pm!
            sigpic
            91' 318is Brilliantrot
            Yes, it still has an m42

Comment

Working...
            X