Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ETA Project and Chill

What's going on guys?

So I've been on here a few months, but realized I've never shown my car to you guys. Here's a quick intro to myself: I'm a mechanical engineering student at Clemson University and I live in South Carolina. I love all cars, but especially BMWs. I currently daily drive a gorgeous E39 525i, and she is my first baby. My dad picked her up CPO in 2003, drove it up until 2011 when he bought his F10 and passed the car down to me. She's super clean with fairly low mileage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151012_112146.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	7247514

Here's how the story goes. Ever since I started driving around 15 years old, I always saw old cars driving around and thought it'd be so cool to fix one of those up one day. The main ones that stood out to me were VW Beatles, Datsuns, and especially older BMWs. Of course I was always too young to go out and buy my own car with no money...until now.

Summer of 2015 going into my sophomore year at college, I had time, money, and some "fix car" knowledge (so I thought). I found a gorgeous E39 540i Touring in hellrot red with a 6 speed swap, I absolutely loved the car, when I test drove it I absolutely fell in love...until I realized the only way I could afford it would be to sell my prestine E39...I simply couldn't justify it. My dad kept perfect condition of the car, and picking up possibly someone elses junk was too much of a risk.

So sophomore year starts and I start getting antsy, I want a "Project Car". I always loved the E30, seeing it at car shows just always made me fall in love with it, so this was my platform. I searched and searched and searched...Craigslist day and night. Searched everywhere from North Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia. Until I found the one (so I thought) she was an early model 325i in red with a non working auto trans. For $1000 this E30 could be mine, with a blown auto trans...so I talked to my parents about it and they said no, I was crushed and mad at the same time...but as always parents know best. Little did I know that there was a guy who just moved in next to my dad's business (where I would be working on my project) who owned an E30.

The very next day I went to look at her and was very happy at what I saw ( you may disagree).

Name:	20151013_135557.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	7247515

On October 14th, for $500, I picked up this E30 that didn't start on its own (would pop start), absolutely no rust, and 233k on the broken odometer. She's a 1986 325e 4 door sedan with alpine white with houndstooth interior. Of course she's got her problems, but by now I've got most of the kinks sorted out. By far best $500, I've ever spent.

Name:	20151016_213205.jpg
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	7247516
    After a much needed bath

Name:	20151216_161511.jpg
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	7247517
    Mid-project. You can definitely tell the body has 233k+ miles on it. Found out the odometer has been broken since 2008...

Name:	20160103_161225.jpg
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	7247518
    Here she is today. The bumpers are off because I'm refinishing the aluminum and painting the bumper surrounds for a cleaner look. She's slowly coming together.

I hope you guys enjoyed reading my story, sorry it's kind of long, but I like telling people about it. A lot of people ask why I bought a car like that while I'm so young so I have to explain. Thanks for letting me share and let me know what you think!
    Last edited by jdance30; 04-16-2016, 08:50 PM.
    1986 325e Pearl White on Grey Houndstooth 24x,xxx miles M30b35 Swapped
    2002 525i Jet Black on Sand Beige 13x,xxx miles
    "This 2.5 liter inline six cylinder is smoother than my silk Versace underwear." -Vehicle Virgins

Nice man, congrats on both the E39 and E30. Looking forward to seeing the progress on the E30

Comment

Nice pick up man. Alpine white is always a great color on e30's, and nice choice on upgrading that ugly stock valance to the late model style already!

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
      1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
      1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
      1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
      1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
      1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
      Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
      1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
      1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

The late model valence and the smileys were a must in my opinion. Also, the stock valence was bent up and rusty in some spots, so it needed to be done sooner or later. When I first drove the car at night, the light output from the stock sealed beams was terrible, absolutely terrible...so the projectors in the smileys were a must have, picked them up for a good price as well.
        "This 2.5 liter inline six cylinder is smoother than my silk Versace underwear." -Vehicle Virgins

Comment

you did good, $500 is not a lot to get into an E30 just take your time they can be hard on the wallet! Keep listening to your Parents!!!!!!!
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
          IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

The reason I posted in here is because my "project" is very slow because I'm in school and my car is at home an hour away. I usually knock off about 1-2 things off my to-do list per weekend when I can make it home.

Update:
            She has been down for about a month due to a down fuel pump. Finally got a replacement and she fired up just fine. I'm glad to have her back on the road. Currently working on repainting the mirrors, rocker panel, and wiper arms. Will upload pictures as I finish them.

Comment

Really clean e39 and a good base on the e30!

Nice to see you are keeping the Clemson e30 tradition alive. We had a strong group back when I was there.

Check it out.

1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Originally posted by Zacm829 View Post
                Really clean e39 and a good base on the e30!

Nice to see you are keeping the Clemson e30 tradition alive. We had a strong group back when I was there.

Check it out.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...hlight=clemson
                That's awesome! Hopefully I can do this once I get the car tagged and drive it up there.

Comment

very nice

One of the best 500.00 e30's I have ever seen. And with hounds tooth interior. Win all around!! Enjoy, this is a keeper!
                  jm

Comment

Originally posted by jdance30 View Post
                    What's going on guys?

So I've been on here a few months, but realized I've never shown my car to you guys. Here's a quick intro to myself: I'm a mechanical engineering student at Clemson University and I live in South Carolina. I love all cars, but especially BMWs. I currently daily drive a gorgeous E39 525i, and she is my first baby. My dad picked her up CPO in 2003, drove it up until 2011 when he bought his F10 and passed the car down to me. She's super clean with fairly low mileage.

[ATTACH]105666[/ATTACH]

Here's how the story goes. Ever since I started driving around 15 years old, I always saw old cars driving around and thought it'd be so cool to fix one of those up one day. The main ones that stood out to me were VW Beatles, Datsuns, and especially older BMWs. Of course I was always too young to go out and buy my own car with no money...until now.

Summer of 2015 going into my sophomore year at college, I had time, money, and some "fix car" knowledge (so I thought). I found a gorgeous E39 540i Touring in hellrot red with a 6 speed swap, I absolutely loved the car, when I test drove it I absolutely fell in love...until I realized the only way I could afford it would be to sell my prestine E39...I simply couldn't justify it. My dad kept perfect condition of the car, and picking up possibly someone elses junk was too much of a risk.

So sophomore year starts and I start getting antsy, I want a "Project Car". I always loved the E30, seeing it at car shows just always made me fall in love with it, so this was my platform. I searched and searched and searched...Craigslist day and night. Searched everywhere from North Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia. Until I found the one (so I thought) she was an early model 325i in red with a non working auto trans. For $1000 this E30 could be mine, with a blown auto trans...so I talked to my parents about it and they said no, I was crushed and mad at the same time...but as always parents know best. Little did I know that there was a guy who just moved in next to my dad's business (where I would be working on my project) who owned an E30.

The very next day I went to look at her and was very happy at what I saw ( you may disagree).

[ATTACH]105667[/ATTACH]

On October 14th, for $500, I picked up this E30 that didn't start on its own (would pop start), absolutely no rust, and 233k on the broken odometer. She's a 1986 325e 4 door sedan with alpine white with houndstooth interior. Of course she's got her problems, but by now I've got most of the kinks sorted out. By far best $500, I've ever spent.

[ATTACH]105668[/ATTACH]
                    After a much needed bath

[ATTACH]105669[/ATTACH]
                    Mid-project. You can definitely tell the body has 233k+ miles on it. Found out the odometer has been broken since 2008...

[ATTACH]105670[/ATTACH]
                    Here she is today. The bumpers are off because I'm refinishing the aluminum and painting the bumper surrounds for a cleaner look. She's slowly coming together.

I hope you guys enjoyed reading my story, sorry it's kind of long, but I like telling people about it. A lot of people ask why I bought a car like that while I'm so young so I have to explain. Thanks for letting me share and let me know what you think!
                    Awesome man,
                    You and I are in the same boat. I'm finishing my last year grade 12, and I've been wanting a project for quite sometime... My first car was supposed to be my dads e39 540i 6 speed but he loves it so much he kept it and my first car is now a 2009 335i 6 speed blacked out sedan! I've loved e30's all my life as well. But now I'm serious and I want a project e30 as well. My friend last week just informed me he is interested in selling his mint mint 88 325is red coupe! Needs a 5 speed swap because I can't stand auto, and new interior but other than that it's mint! He's asking 2 grand which is a steal because the exterior is mint with no rust and like new 30 year old paint! Anyways just letting ya know you aren't the only youngster wanting to restore a e30.
                    Trevor
                    P.s. Where I'm from, everyone drives jacked up trucks but when I roll up to school in my 335, they don't dare park near me.

Comment

Well guys, Spring Break 2016 is over and now I'm back to the grind of mechanical engineering. Overall it was a good break from school. Traveled a bit, relaxed, and especially worked on the E30. I'm happy with the progress I made.

First off, SHE IS RUNNING AGAIN! After 2 fuel pump mishaps, I finally got the one I need and she's back! She's running better than ever, I ran some Seafoam through the eta and she seems to like it. Also, I finally discovered that my new odometer gears from garagistic are working properly and surpassed 300k miles after being stuck at 232,997 since 2008. It's so good to just drive it again, I can't wait to tag this baby and put her on the road as my daily. Here's a nice driver's seat view of that pathetic redline, insane amount of miles, and not at 12 O' clock temp guage.

Name:	20160320_190511REV.jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	7184308

Exterior:
                      I am pleased to announce that the exterior is almost "complete". I completed the front end by adding euro smileys, new model valence and lip, bumper tuck, and fresh painted grills and bumper surrounds. Nothing special in the rear, just the tacky muffler put on by the PO (loud, but sounds pretty good imo), bumper tuck, and freshly painted surrounds. I finished painting the mirrors and wiper arms, but only installed one of each. I'm very pleased with how the body looks, besides many dents (especially that hood dent:hitler:). I don't know if you can tell in the pictures, but I do have some mad clear coat peel in the right rear on top of the car. It's pretty bad, but I can live with it. Here's some sexy pictures I took before it "rained all weekend". (Weatherman said rain all weekend, never rained). Shoutout to the new Samsung Galaxy S7 for taking dope pictures.

Enjoy!

Name:	20160317_143511REV.jpg
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	7184309

Name:	20160320_190414REV.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	7184310

Name:	20160320_190430REV.jpg
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	7184311

Name:	20160320_190451REV.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	7184312

Let me know what you guys think of the clear/silver side indicators. I didn't like them at first, but they are somewhat growing on me, still don't look as good as amber and red IMO.

Comment

imo amber would look better to match the turn signals. Also I'd say its about time to update the signature as well
                        1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
                        1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
                        E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWipprSnappr View Post
                          imo amber would look better to match the turn signals. Also I'd say its about time to update the signature as well
                          I have to agree with you on that. I think the clear would look a lot better if the turn signals were clear, but I like the amber turn signals, so the side indicators will have to take one for the team. Got the signature fresh again, thanks for the remind.

Comment

Progress recently has been pretty slow. School is bogging me down for the next few weeks, but progress will pick up at the beginning of may due to money flow and more time available since I'll be at home with the car.

Anyway, as you have probably read, the last odometer reading, 232,996 from the SC DMV was in 2006 and the odometer was broken then (2008 earlier in the thread was incorrect). So I wanted to perform a compression test to see how my engine is looking after all the torture its probably been through

Results:
                            1: 127-129 psi
                            2: 127-129
                            3: 127-129
                            4: 129-131
                            5: 124-126
                            6: 126-128

Here's a picture of cylinder 2 I believe.

Name:	20160402_124803REV.jpg
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	7184444

A few disclaimers, I had my girlfriend help me by turning over the engine and I realized when I was done that the throttle wasn't opened at all during the test. I will go back and do the test again at WOT to get better results. The reason the numbers are a range is because the gauge I have is very difficult to get a precise value reading.

Since this is my first compression test, I'm not sure what to take from the numbers. I have read that closeness of values are better than higher values, I'm also not sure what is supposed to be spec for the M20b27. I believe my Bentley said 140-156 psi or something like that, but it did not specify which engine. I realize the numbers might be invaluable since the test was done with the throttle closed. Any help or input is greatly appreciated.

As for current projects, I'm slowly taking apart interior pieces to be cleaned and put back in the car. The carpet, dash, and driver's seat are the worst. The carpet can be lived with, the dash drives me crazy cause its got like 7 Grand Canyon size cracks. I found a seat cover at Walmart for $7 on clearance to put on the driver's seat. Hate me if you want, but honestly it looks okay, and it makes the seat bearable to sit in (it is destroyed, foam and everything). The pillar where the driver's seat belt goes in is also in bad shape. Also missing one houndstooth door card, the others aren't in great shape, but are bearable.

Here's some of the recent pictures taken:

Name:	20160329_123217REV.jpg
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	7184442
                            My favorite spot for pictures

Name:	20160329_123229REV.jpg
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	7184443
                            That mad clear coat peel I mentioned last post

Name:	20160402_134837(0)REV.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	7184445
                            Took her a down the road to fill her up. Only $16.61 for a full tank.

Comment

What's going on guys? Just bringing you another quick update. I updated the title of this thread to something more appealing than "My First Car". I hope everything is going well for you guys as well. I've got two weeks left of school until Summer break. I plan on working full time as a diesel mechanic while I'm off school. It can't get here fast enough.

Anyway, work has been pretty slow lately. I haven't had much time to work on her and my funds have tanked from the car to pay for other things. Once summer comes I plan on doing a semi-full suspension rebuild. Poly bushings, control arms, the whole shibang. Buuuuut that's in the future so you'll be seeing that soon (hopefully).

I'm currently just putting miles on the car to work out any kinks I run into. The shop I work on the E30 in is in a business park type thing so I drive it around there in parking lots. All I have run into are leaking hoses it seems like. I fix a coolant leak here, then it starts leaking there. I think I've finally got it all figured out. While driving around there I ran into this gorgeous 2002 and couldn't help myself to stop and snap a picture.

Name:	20160416_101808REV.jpg
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	7184735

Name:	20160416_101822REV.jpg
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	7184736
                              Diving Boards FTW

Name:	20160416_101835REV.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	7184739

I also was curious as to how my Style 29s from the E39 would look on the E30. I am very pleased with the result and Style 29s are common for very cheap around here so I might have to give it a shot. Of course this isn't a legitimate test fit, but it's good enough for me. Let me know what you guys think! (Yes, I know the tires are huge, they are E39 fitment so of course I wouldn't go that large if I do go this route. The car is also on stands.)

Name:	20160416_104019REV.jpg
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	7184737

In other news, my buddy bought an E28 528e about the same time I bought my E30 and we help each other work on each other's cars. He helped me rise my E30 back from the dead, but his E28 on the other hand... The car only has 86k miles, sorry but I don't have any pictures of the car. Unfortunately though, after pulling off the head to check out the damage of a suspected timing belt failure, the photo below was our sight. He's currently looking into getting another eta for it, but for now, that's all the E28 has.

Name:	20160416_152844REV.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	7184738

Sorry for the lame update as I haven't done much with the E30, but I thought the 2002 photos warranted an update. Will post some more interesting stuff once I'm out of school!

Comment

Working...
                              X