Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jokester
    replied
    If that LSD ever goes bad you got another one to replace it. Keep up the work. Love how simple the build is

Leave a comment:

• Albie325
    replied
    What a pleasant surprise on the diff! I've seen your COTM article and finally had a chance to read through this build thread, what a great car (and great owner). I wish some of the details you included were more applicable to my m20b27, great stuff. Keep it up!

Leave a comment:

• dmanb2b
    replied
    Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post

So I loctite'd and torqued everything back to spec and left that diff in the car. I'll keep the "new" one as a spare.

Stromung exhaust update
    My Stromung exhaust will be arriving in a couple weeks. Scott @ Stromung has been great and gave me a few options for tips. Looking forward to installing this soon. And, yes, I have verified I don't already have a Stromung exhaust installed on the car.
    Any chance I could convince you to sell that spare Mine is coming out of storage in next month or two...perhaps I should wipe the diff too before I start the hunt!

Good news on exhaust...I am bummed I missed the GB. Thanks for organizing;D

Leave a comment:

• mike.bmw
    replied
    Originally posted by Jokester View Post
    should've tried a burnout to see if it was an LSD or not :devil:
    Yeah. This is still boggling my mind. I keep asking myself how I could miss something so obvious and here's what I've come up with...

Shortly after buying the car 3 years ago I remember getting under the car to inspect the diff. It was very hard to read the tag and the bottom of the diff didn't appear to have the "S" stamp. What I thought was black paint on the diff housing turned out to be a tar-like substance. Also, I think I remember spinning one wheel and seeing the other spin the opposite direction. So between the wheels spinning opposite directions and the car not being optioned with LSD from the factory, I just assumed it was the more common small case open 4.10.

The fact the car already has LSD better explains why I never spun an inside wheel at any of the track events. I was just assuming (there I go assuming again) the 318 didn't have enough power to do so. ;) This also better explains the behavior on a wet skidpad.

I'm not one for burnouts, but I may give that a try later today to test the lock up.
    Last edited by mike.bmw; 02-25-2019, 04:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jokester
    replied
    should've tried a burnout to see if it was an LSD or not :devil:

Leave a comment:

• mike.bmw
    replied
    LSD Install

So I considered not even posting about this because I'm quite embarrassed and I feel like an idiot. However, this is a thread about my experiences with the car, no matter how dumb, so I'm posting this to close the loop on the LSD saga.

Today I started to install my newly acquired small case S4.10. My plan of attack was to break each bolt loose before actually removing anything. I got the car up on stands. I was through the drive shaft bolts, the diff bushing bolt, and 10 of 12 of the axel bolts. To get to the axel bolts loose I needed to rotate the rear wheels. On the second to last bolt I noticed the wheels were turning the same direction. Hmmmm, that's odd.

You may already see where this is going. I will preface this next part with the fact I have decoded my VIN multiple times on multiple sites. This car was NOT originally optioned with an LSD.

So I started furiously cleaning the diff tag. The first letter looks like an "S".

So I started furiously cleaning the bottom of the diff. This took a while, but after about 5 minutes I started seeing the outline of an "S" stamping. I spent another 5 minutes and saw this:

So, yeah, ... The car already has a small case 4.10 LSD in it. Yep, I've been looking for one for over 2 years and I already had one. Yep, I never bothered to read the diff tag. Yep, I never bothered cleaning the bottom of the diff to look for the large "S" stamping. Yep, I'm embarrassed as hell (but that didn't stop me from calling Zeemz and telling him the story).

So I loctite'd and torqued everything back to spec and left that diff in the car. I'll keep the "new" one as a spare.

On a positive note, during my search and acquisition, I have met some cool folks and was able to take a really fun and memorable road trip with my daughter. I'll chalk this up to a learning experience and move on.

Stromung exhaust update
    My Stromung exhaust will be arriving in a couple weeks. Scott @ Stromung has been great and gave me a few options for tips. Looking forward to installing this soon. And, yes, I have verified I don't already have a Stromung exhaust installed on the car.

Leave a comment:

• mike.bmw
    replied
    Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
    I need to make it back up to Katie's soon. The 318is is looking minty!, Mike.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Thanks, it'll be good to start meeting up there again!

Leave a comment:

• connorb850
    replied
    I went with Redline 75W90 and new crush washers.
    Good choice. I reinstalled my diff today and man, that stud kit would have made things easier.

Leave a comment:

• fresh_TD
    replied
    I need to make it back up to Katie's soon. The 318is is looking minty!, Mike.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• mike.bmw
    replied
    LSD Progress
    Not installed yet, but I did change the oil. So easy to change the oil when the diff is out of the car. You can even tilt it forward to make sure most of the old oil drains! I plan to install this thing soon-ish.

I went with Redline 75W90 and new crush washers.

Oil draining:

Old oil was very clean:

Katie's Cars and Coffee
    Other than that, I drove out to Katie's Cars and Coffee for the first time in a while. Decent turnout for sub freezing temps.

Last edited by mike.bmw; 02-21-2019, 09:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mike.bmw
    replied
    Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
    Interesting, as I've had a ticking sound since I purchased this second 318i. My ticking noise can be continuous/intermittent at times, but it does also correlate with the RPMs. I still have it after overhauling the entire timing system, so could very well be the coil packs (stock / original to my knowledge). Think I'll have a look as I don't think I've ever replaced these.
    It may also be lifter tap. That can sometimes be remedied with a different weight oil. I'm running Mobil 1 15W-50 and after a couple oil changes it happens far less than it used to.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    thats great news on the Sunroof. Always nice to have spares on random, rare parts
    Yep! About to pull the trigger on a NOS sunroof motor. Ebay can be a wonderful thing.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    thats great news on the Sunroof. Always nice to have spares on random, rare parts

Leave a comment:

• freeride53
    replied
    Coil Packs
    I've been hearing a tick from my engine bay for the last 6 weeks. At first it was intermittent. Then it was consistent and correlated to the RPM. It wasn't easy to pinpoint with the hood popped, but was very audible inside the cabin. I spent nearly an hour with a screw driver (cheap stethoscope) trying to find out where it was coming from under the hood. I was about 10 minutes from pulling the oil pan when I realized it was the coil packs. One of the "new" Bremi coil pack bases had come apart. I believe the tick was the coil pack arcing. I wish I had taken of a photo of this as it's quite unbelievable.

If we're keeping score that's 3 of 4 coil Bremi pack failures. I sent them all back for a refund and I'm running the stock coil packs (again) and the engine is tick free. At some point I'll just order the Bosch coil packs.

Interesting, as I've had a ticking sound since I purchased this second 318i. My ticking noise can be continuous/intermittent at times, but it does also correlate with the RPMs. I still have it after overhauling the entire timing system, so could very well be the coil packs (stock / original to my knowledge). Think I'll have a look as I don't think I've ever replaced these.

Leave a comment:

• mike.bmw
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
    That's really neat about the sunroof!
    Yeah, the lack of sunroof parts had been causing me a bit of stress. There is ZERO information on the internet correlating the Webasto unit to the Ford/Lincoln units. Over the past couple years I've even called Webasto a few times to get more information, which resulted in nothing. It's a bit of a relief to know these parts can be found fairly easily. I'll probably pick up a spare motor, sun shade, and track assembly just to have on hand. The glass and seal were the biggest concerns and now i have spares for those.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew325is
    replied
    That's really neat about the sunroof!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X