Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powling
    replied
    When I installed my M Tech 1 wheel in my airbag car I just carefully bent the stalks back towards the dash a bit and now my hands clear them no problem.

Leave a comment:

• mike.bmw
    replied
    Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
    Looks great! Do you have any problems with hitting the stalks when turning? The Mtech wheel sits lower/further forward on the steering column.

I used non airbag stalks when I replaced mine with an Mtech 2.
    So... my concerns have been realized. After sitting in the car last night I realized the right side of the wheel was MUCH closer to the stalks than the left side. In additional to a few other signs, I believe this steering wheel was in a crash and I'm pushing the seller to return the wheel and refund my money. This morning I swapped the stock wheel and airbag back into the car.

Next order of business is figuring out how to reset the SRS faults I caused when turning the car on without an airbag installed...

Bent wheel (see the angle of the hub in relation to the flat, level table):

Damaged splines:

Bent metal around the hub:

Last edited by mike.bmw; 05-02-2019, 04:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• D.Martijn
    replied
    Looks great! Do you have any problems with hitting the stalks when turning? The Mtech wheel sits lower/further forward on the steering column.

I used non airbag stalks when I replaced mine with an Mtech 2.

Leave a comment:

• e30RS
    replied
    Looks fantastic. I recently picked up an Mtech II steering wheel and I am excited to get it on. Hopefully it looks as good as yours does.

Leave a comment:

• fresh_TD
    replied
    Looks good Mike!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• mike.bmw
    replied
    M Tech 2 Steering Wheel (385mm)

I won an ebay auction for an M Tech 2 Steering Wheel a few weeks ago. It arrived today. It has a nice new wrap on it. If it was accurately described I would say I got it for a good price, though I feel that some things were NOT accurately described in the auction so I have contacted the seller with my concerns. The seller has a ~4500 100% ebay rating, so I'm hoping we can work something out that doesn't involve me shipping it back to Europe. In the meantime I took some photos and fitted it.

The wrap uses tri-color stitching in a non-stock pattern, but I like the placement of the stitching. Additional padding was used under the new wrap. The color of the wrap doesn't match the horn pad 100%, but it's not that noticeable and I knew this prior to bidding (not a concern).

Here are some tips for installation:
    - For airbag equipped cars you will need an additional spacer (part # 32311120260). Installation looks like this -> existing spacer, steering wheel, additional spacer, washer, nut.
    - For airbag equipped cars you will need to pull the white, spring loaded plastic peg out. I used vice grips to clamp down on the white peg and gave it a good pull. Save this if you want to revert back to stock.
    - To pull the existing steering wheel put your key in the ignition in the accessory position. This will allow you to pull the existing wheel.

Photos:

Last edited by mike.bmw; 05-02-2019, 01:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mike.bmw
    replied
    Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
    Jesus that car is friggin' clean, looks brand new.
    Thanks! Your project has certainly been an inspiration for mine!

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
    Mike, does nobody live in your city? Looks like a completely empty city. I mean, I'm assuming this is good photography skills, but part of me also thinks some of those angles in a city would be impossible to get zero cars or people on.
    Ha, thanks! Aside from changing exposure and/or cropping in Mac Preview, I've never actually edit any of my photos. The last round of photos was taken on Easter Sunday at 6:15AM so most places were empty of cars/people. Most of my "photo shoots" are taken just before sunrise which limits the number of people out and about. I have some other locations I'd like to use, but those spots always have other cars/people around so I'll keep trying. :D

Leave a comment:

• fresh_TD
    replied
    Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
    Mike, does nobody live in your city? Looks like a completely empty city. I mean, I'm assuming this is good photography skills, but part of me also thinks some of those angles in a city would be impossible to get zero cars or people on.
    There's isn't too much going on up where he lives. I'm not too far from him.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• jeenyus
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Albie325
    replied
    Jesus that car is friggin' clean, looks brand new.

Leave a comment:

• mike.bmw
    replied
    DMC Prep Part 3: Interior and final wash

I have a busy week ahead, so I cleaned the interior today and gave the exterior a final wash before DMC next Sunday. Fingers crossed the weather will be good!

Last edited by mike.bmw; 04-29-2019, 03:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Khalbob
    replied
    Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
    just was going through your thread to get a few details for my "is" restoration.

In any event, all you had to do in order to check for LSD is to raise the rear of you car as in your pic above. Spin one rear wheel and watch in which direction the other side is spinning:

the same direction - LSD
    the opposite direction - open diff.

This applies to any other cars and 100% sure way to tell regardless of tags and stamps
    It keeps quite well.

Leave a comment:

• jeenyus
    replied
    Ain't no hoonigans in here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• agent
    replied
    Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
    the same direction - LSD
    the opposite direction - open diff or Torsen swapped

Leave a comment:

• getouth
    replied
    Originally posted by econti View Post
    Doesn't really work if you just do a regular ol burnout, typically old opens will spin both from a standstill.

Tip it in for a hoop and the game is up however

I’m talking about a MAN’s burnout...[emoji2363]
    It’s very easy to tell if you have traction on both axles

Drive Tastefully!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X