r3v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

r3v

So I took the e30 out today. I went to work as normal, then stopped by my parents house, practiced, and then started heading home. It was about 4:00, and if I went home, i'd like end up just sitting on my ass for a little while until the roomates/gf got off work and decided what to do for the night, so i decided to go out to a weigh station and weigh in the e30. Car weighs in at 2760 wet, 2980 with me in it. I was pretty pleased with the numbers. Of course, these aren't the most reliable scales in the world, but a good ball park none the less.

So i head home. My drive takes me through springfield, which is the bordering city of Eugene. My apartment complex property starts about 1000 yards from I5, which is the dividing line between eugene and springfield. Thus, the road part of my complex is off of connects the two cities. So i'm driving back into town - have my dog in my lap - doing about 30 in a 35. I had just been stopped at a light, its 4:45 so there is a lot of traffic out. I start accelerating pretty languidly, certainly not getting on it. I go through first, part of second, and just get into the bottom of third - like 2.5k rpms doin maybe 30 miles an hour. The light up the road is turning yellow so i slow down as it is pretty much useless to keep accelerating.

So, doin about thirty, not accelerating, and I look down at my dog who is in the car and is lookin at me. I look up, and WHAM! the car BOUNCES and i see pieces of grill flying. I think, "HOLY SHIT FUCK! I JUST HIT SOMEONE!" check all my mirrors and it ends up being about an 80 lb rotweiler/lab type mix. I hear the dog wimper and it takes off running. I slam on the brakes and stop, and the car behind me was like,"holy shit! I have NO idea where the hell that dog came from!" So i take off running after the dog where we last thought it went. The owner of the dog, some 50 plus woman who looked like she was on meth, comes out and is like,"yeah, its my dog, he's fine. he's growling at me and bleeding a bit from the mouth but he'll be fine. He gets out and gets into trouble." I am like,"holy shit, your dog just got whaled on and you're just like fuck it??" I asked to see the dog, and she said,"no, he's ok" The woman was adimant that I didn't see the dog or go near her back yard - so i'm not so certain what was going on with that situation as the house looked sketchy. So i leave. The people who saw it were like,"are you ok? (talking to me)" I'm a bit shaken up as I had my dog in the car, and i know how i would have fealt if it were my dog that was hit. So i talk to another witness who said they had no idea where the dog came from, and also said how appreciative they were that I actually went to try and find the dog and make sure it was OK/get help. I wish the owner had called a vet or been more concerned. The dog took off running pretty damned fast so I assume it is at least somewhat OK, but it could be bleeding internally. I needs to be looked at but the owner wouldn't have any of that.

So now I am seriously hoping that dog is ok.

On a now less note, the car got fairly well dinged.
    car casualties include:
    -broken OE sport evo front splitter
    -broken OE sport evo center grill
    - broken driver side tow hook cover
    - possible broken/bent front bumper cover mounts... I'll find out tomorrow when i start taking the car apart.

It is also possible the front alignment got tweeked a bit. The car pulls to the passenger slightly and I hear rubbing - it might just also be a dead fender liner.

pics -

Fortunately I have a spare set of tow hood covers and a new evo splitter in my parents garage.

Ultimately I am more concerned with the well being of the dog, and my dog, as he's only 5 lbs and i'm not sure how jostled he got during the accident. Cars can be fixed - it's funny because i was possibly going to start taking the car apart tomorrow for repaint.

This is a foreign thing to me, in almost 6 years of driving, from commuting to doing dumb shit behind the wheel, I've never hit ANYTHING. Not even a concrete parking stop in a parking space. I guess it was inevitable. I just really hope that dog is OK and the owners do the right thing with it. I'm thinking about taking my little guy to the doggy ER to have a few checks done to make sure he's OK, he's been tweekin ever since.

Anyway - i'm a member of the r3v club.
    Now I am going to go drink a beer.
    PNW Crew
    90 m3
    06 m5

i always wondered what would happen to me if a dog without a leash ran out in front of me.

get the owners insurance info haha
    Originally posted by blunt
    can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

jesus 220 lbs you're a big guy no?
      sigpic

Comment

I would have called the police, since they would immed. get animal control up, and make sure the dog is fine first off, and secondly, let the owner know that they owe you for the damages to your car. Around here, the police dont hestitate to bring charges for animal cruelty for negligence.
        01 325Ci
        87 325iS w/ M30B35 swap

Comment

Originally posted by ping65810 View Post
          I would have called the police, since they would immed. get animal control up, and make sure the dog is fine first off, and secondly, let the owner know that they owe you for the damages to your car. Around here, the police dont hestitate to bring charges for animal cruelty for negligence.
          this house looked like they might be cookin meth. I highly doubt they had the money to pay for anything, let alone damages to my car. That money should be put twoards helping the dog if it needs it.
          PNW Crew
          90 m3
          06 m5

Comment

Originally posted by aaron.j View Post
            jesus 220 lbs you're a big guy no?

6'4' 220-230 depending on beer consumption.. sucks for speedin the car up:(
            PNW Crew
            90 m3
            06 m5

Comment

Dude that sucks!

Sounds like the story when I hit that deer in my m3, only I chased that deer to kick it... Have another splitter for me? :p

Hope everything goes well, and get the m3 fixed up!
              91 m3

Comment

harsh dude. Nice bit of damage
                ///M Inside

Comment

Damn that sucks man, hopefully the dog is okay.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                  RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Call the police and animal control to let them know what's up. At least that way you'll know the dog is ok.
                    Signature removed by R3VLimited staff due to a violation of the signature rules

Comment

AAAACCCKKK!!! Ted, dude that fucking blows!

At least everyone is ok.

Comment

maybe she's hoping it dies so she can sue you? i don't know how animal law works, in california it's like a person.
                        sigpic

Comment

If it darted out, or was supposed to be on a leash, the owner of the dog should be responsible for the damage to his car.
                          Current Cars
                          2014 M235i
                          2009 R56 Cooper S
                          1998 M3
                          1997 M3

Comment

dude, glad it all worked out ok, but dont drive with your dog in your lap. Please.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveCN View Post
                              If it darted out, or was supposed to be on a leash, the owner of the dog should be responsible for the damage to his car.
                              exactly.

Technically it was a dog at large. He should have been leashed. And I was not speeding. But again, I can fix my car. My larger concern is the dog being OK.
                              PNW Crew
                              90 m3
                              06 m5

Comment

Working...
                              X