Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another for the Collection - Mtech 2 Vert S50!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cha Ching View Post
    Diggin' the build! It's giving me motivation to get going on mine!
    Make a build thread man! I'm always interested in seeing other people's Mtech Convertibles.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
    1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
    1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
    1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
    1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
    1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
    Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
    1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
    1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

So yesterday I got some work done before the rain started back up. Interior is basically all together now, I got the HVAC panel re installed with brand new background lighting plus got the center console's in. I also got my new shift boot/ knob installed, along with giving the carpets a good scrub.

As for the rest of the interior, I have one major issue with the rear seats. The convertible top (soft top) had a small leak in the back which caused a little bit of water to get on the rear seats during heavy storms, specifically on the bottom cushion. It wasn't a ton of water by any means, but since no one drove the car it would never get wiped down and water/ leather aren't a good mix. The leather's maybe too far gone to bring back, I'm not really sure. As for the back rest cushion, the leather's still in pretty decent shape and really soft aside from the top where the stitching always come undone from the sun. I made a thread about Lotus White dye some years back but never tried any of the products recommended, we'll see what I do about these later on.

=

Comment

Finally, the rear GC suspension is in and all I can say is WOW. Trevor over at GC got the spring rates perfect, I explained to him what my intentions were with the car and we worked out a rate for my needs. Spot on, exactly what I was after.

I went over to my Dads house to get everything installed. Before starting with the Mtech I gave him a hand with his Bavaria project, he was installing some lowering springs also. I went a little different route rather then grinding down that weld that was interfering with the shock mount, we used two washers on each side to raise GC's "half moon" studed piece to the perfect height where it was flush. This way I didn't have to do any modification to the body and the GC mounts are still installed properly.

After getting the suspension in I moved onto the ellipsoid lights. Nothing special, check for 12v when the headlights are activated and crimp the wires together, plus some shrink wrap. I went with a quick disconnect style so if I ever go with smileys later on I can easily just put the same style crimp on the smiley headlight pigtail and leave the cars harness side alone. I'm more then happy with these though, we'll see if I do ever install smileys.

Lastly, and I'm not sure how I got it done, I drove all the way over to my work and did an alignment about an hour and a half before closing. The toe settings were really off since I installed the new tie rods, glad I got it taken care of.

Unfortunately I only have iPhone pics today,

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 01-28-2018, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Tomorrows going to be one hell of a day. The car only has one engine oil leak at the moment and it's bugging me, the oil pan gasket. I also couldn't remember if the oil filter housing gasket was leaking so I ordered those gaskets too today at work lol. Even if it isn't leaking I'll just replace it, because it will later down the road being nearly 30yr old. I think I've owned too many M20's, I know for a fact my old Mtechs was leaking.

There's no way in hell I'll be doing this one in the driveway, call me crazy but yes a 5 speed swap in the driveway is OK with me but oil pan gasket, I'll be doing this one at work on my lift. I asked the boss man and he said no problem come on in, and since Saturday's we have about 1/5th the staff as a usual work day it should be nice and quiet in the shop while I work.

Plans;
          -Oil Pan Gasket
          -Re Seal Oil Filter Housing
          -Engine Mounts
          -Fuel Filter
          -Liqui Moly Cleaner
          -Engine Oil Change
          -Garagistic X Brace install

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 01-26-2018, 09:11 PM.

Comment

i see you got the polly shifter holder but why not everything else like the z3 shifter/dssr/poly front bushing ?
            did u feel it stiffen up just with that by itself?

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
              i see you got the polly shifter holder but why not everything else like the z3 shifter/dssr/poly front bushing ?
              did u feel it stiffen up just with that by itself?

The main reason I went with the polly carrier was the price difference between it and stock. I can't believe the prices they're getting for that damn shiftier piece, an important one too. Also, a DSSR wouldn't fit since its a 88' transmission. Simply put, aftermarket crap never fits properly. I was actually shocked how nice of a fit the polly carrier went into the car. I actually drove a 318i yesterday (co workers) and man, I see why people go straight for the short shifter set up.. sloppy as hell. Fact is a rebuilt OE shiftier has barely any slop and engages gears with ease, with the perfect amount of throw (to me anyways). Lastly, the more polly used the more vibration that will be felt in the shift knob.

Comment

I’ve been running ground Controls on my vert for a few years and I love them. What rates did you go with?
                Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
                  The main reason I went with the polly carrier was the price difference between it and stock. I can't believe the prices they're getting for that damn shiftier piece, an important one too. Also, a DSSR wouldn't fit since its a 88' transmission. Simply put, aftermarket crap never fits properly. I was actually shocked how nice of a fit the polly carrier went into the car. I actually drove a 318i yesterday (co workers) and man, I see why people go straight for the short shifter set up.. sloppy as hell. Fact is a rebuilt OE shiftier has barely any slop and engages gears with ease, with the perfect amount of throw (to me anyways). Lastly, the more polly used the more vibration that will be felt in the shift knob.
                  My question is, how the hell did you install it? It looks like I had to remove the exhaust to throw it in.

Comment

Originally posted by Mwishlist View Post
                    I’ve been running ground Controls on my vert for a few years and I love them. What rates did you go with?
                    I'm sold on them. Ever since having a bad expeirace with ST Coilover's on my e46 way back when, I'm glad my second coilover purchase was with a quality brand. What more can you ask for, Koni Shocks and Eibach springs for only a few bucks more then the Chinese coilover brands.

I talked with GC over the phone and they convinced me to go with 440/660. I guess they have an employee with a convertible and this was his spring rate set up. It's perfect, my last GC set up was 375/475 and honestly there's not much of a difference even though the numbers seem so much higher.

Originally posted by LorenzeTorres View Post
                    My question is, how the hell did you install it? It looks like I had to remove the exhaust to throw it in.
                    Well I had the transmission out which makes the rebuild a whole lot easier (page 4 of this build). I think in your case you'd want to drop the exhaust and you should have enough room to access everything with out dropping the driveshaft. I installed a short shifter once while leaving the driveshaft in place but I didn't replace the shifter carrier bushing.

Comment

Well it's done. Wasn't a horrible job but still a ton of work, seriously though I'd compare it to a n52 oil pan gasket or something. Torqued all the oil pan fasteners to 10nm and all is well for now :D

One of my co workers has been letting me borrow a engine support bar for quite some time now, so I got that mounted up top, dropped the sub frame and disconnected the steering column from the rack. That will get you enough room to slide the pan out, without doing this the oil pump will get in the way and you'll only be able to pull the pan out about halfway until getting it stuck. The other option would be to remove the oil pump, but I figured dropping the sub frame was the better choice plus its how BMW want's us to do it on all the new cars. After getting the new gasket in I also had a chance to install my Garagistic X Brace and some new Meyle engine mounts plus of course change the oil/ filter. This thing hangs LOW so we'll see if it gets in the way or not on California roads.

For my records- Oil Change 1/27/2018 104,939

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 01-27-2018, 07:09 PM.

Comment

great thread and beautiful vert!

Comment

My first e30 had the white basketweaves on it. I remember spending hours with a toothbrush each time I wanted to clean them. It really is the best way to do it.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by Mistaken View Post
                            great thread and beautiful vert!
                            Thanks!

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
                            My first e30 had the white basketweaves on it. I remember spending hours with a toothbrush each time I wanted to clean them. It really is the best way to do it.
                            White wheels suck to clean and get dirty so fast, but its just so 80's to have white wheels :D.

So no real updates since yesterday's oil pan gasket replacement. Work week starts tomorrow, no fun. I gave the hardtop a pretty good detail this afternoon though with a product called Klasse vinyl cleaner. This stuff works great on dashboards too, but beware applying less is better then applying more. You need to spread it out with a microfiber towel or something soft and see if it needs a second application because if you apply to much it'll streak.

I don't really have any before pics in the thread I guess but the top was basically grey before, came out awesome. The pics I do have posted are after washing the car so it's not really a good comparison. I'll eventually need to paint the rails on top but they don't really bother me for now. Took it for another spin afterwords and snapped a few pics too.

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 01-28-2018, 07:15 PM.

Comment

So today after work I decided to install a few goodies. First off I got some sway bar reinforcement mounts installed with polyurethane bushings. I couldn't find anyone only who still offered these online (in the 21mm size needed for convertibles) so I went ahead and made my own set. I might start offering these for sale but it's too soon to know. I also installed brand new Lemforder front sway bar links. Actually, the car had brand new links already installed but I decided to take advantage of the ground control sway bar mounts they welded on the struts, rather then the factory set up which mounts on the control arm. This is how sway bar links are mounted on e30 M3's.

Tomorrow I'll be installing a set of euro grills I picked up off of eBay and brand new rear Lemforder sway bar links, if I have time.

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 02-16-2018, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Yo! A homie and I are hosting a breakfast meet in Half-moon Bay next Saturday.

9AM at 3-zero cafe. Let me know if you can swing through. Also, got to installing the damn DSSR since the car was in for CSB.

Comment

Working...
                                X