Well hello from the UK, also my first E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well hello from the UK, also my first E30

So hello all, i sold my warmed over 81 volvo 244 this summer and finally thought about buying something non-volvo for a change. so spent a few months trawling ebay everyday for something interesting in an E30 that hadn't been thrashed to death or had 13 owners.

so after much browsing for new stuff on ebay daily i came across this little gem, guys uncle owned it from new till april this year when he registered it to himself but it sat on the drive. thick folder of receipts totalling over £6000 since 93 (went in for everything and had a £350 belt service with new water pump just 6000 ago). so spec is

1987 325i Se automatic (sports) 96500 mileage when i bought it
    3.64 LSD
    Rear sunblind
    ohAC and electric sunroof.
    orginal floor mats
    bottletop alloys.

all it needed for MOT was a new front exhaust hanger (£9.40) and a brake pipe giving a little clean. Car cost me £335

So far i've done a simple oil change (got a major service kit off ebay for £24) so replaced the plugs and filters too. looking into new oil for the LSD but it needs very high spec which is £40 for 5L at my local oil wholesale place (only needs 1.7L.) sorrted out valve clearances, checked and topped up auto fluild and released off a slightly sticky front caliper.

drives great. not sure what to do with it now. would like to clean up the light rust over the winter then after that i'm open.

so i was lying in bed the other week and my mind was mulling over the stock snorkel in the BMW airbox. it ends very very close to the side of the airbox so i cut a section out of it.

but i was still mulling about it as i didn't like the cutness not being smooooth.....

then lying in bed again i remembered i had an old 740 turbo (motronic) air flow meter.

so today went out and took the inlet off the volvo AFM and fitted it into the stock BMW airbox,

i like the BMW airbox as it has a big cold air feed from the Grill (short tracked, with nice radius at the inlet part) but the volvo part does have a very common 70mm dia for mounting cone filters.

Picked up an amber light alpine MP3 player from UK ebay for £62 and fitted that with the speakers i removed from my 240, alpine sps-130A in the front stock locations (some trimming required) and JBL GTO 6x9's in the back shelf (also trimming needed)

oh i've got some recon injectors from a ford pickup coming from the US (only £54 shipped) also
    Last edited by Ravennexus; 09-12-2006, 05:38 AM.

keep up the good work mate

Comment

I'll take the rear window screen, please.
      Trevor Ely
      '95 M Sport 540i - '00 A4 1.8TQMS - '85 190E 2.3-16
      '88 535is - '87 325e - '89 325is - '91 318is - '90 325is - '96 328is

Comment

mmm, euro bumpers, houndstooth,headlight wipers, sun screen, rhd, the auto tranny killed my wet dream. Nice ride. I like clean 4 doors

Comment

That interior makes me want to say "Pardon me, but would you have any Grey Poupon?" Nice ride.

Comment

Originally posted by browntown View Post
            mmm, euro bumpers, houndstooth,headlight wipers, sun screen, rhd, the auto tranny killed my wet dream. Nice ride. I like clean 4 doors
            yeah i was a bit reluctant about the auto too. i'd like to do a manual swap in future (used prices are higher here for manual 325i Se)

but it's not a bad box, it's the comp controlled version of the ZF so has sport, economy and gear hold options (handy to stop kick down mid-corner or setting off in snow)

Comment

Welcome & congrats.. !!!

I see you've got a rear-window curtain like me... :D

-> Afficionados join the M-technic I club

Comment

What's the dial next to the parking-brake control?
                Originally posted by Gruelius
                and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat View Post
                  thats for the gearbox.

sport mode (holds gear longer, shifts harder)
                  economy mode (shift early and much softer)
                  Gear hold mode (selectable 1-2-3 gears, will set off in which ever gear is choosen and not move from it regardless of RPM) example in snow set to gear 3 and set off nice and easy to control wheelspin

GCU for the box is in the boot above the emergency jack.

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat View Post
                    those would be the settings for the tranny...sport, economy and winter i believe.
                    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

That little thing always reminds me of the early EDC switch...

Trevor Ely
                      '95 M Sport 540i - '00 A4 1.8TQMS - '85 190E 2.3-16
                      '88 535is - '87 325e - '89 325is - '91 318is - '90 325is - '96 328is

Comment

Wow, M20 with an auto is a rare combo in the UK.

Nice and clean, be careful with it.

Comment

the thing i'm actually looking to do first is get a shorter diff. ether 3.91 or 4.1...

currently 2nd gear runs about 80mph and cruise at 70mph (uk motorway speedlimit) shows 2600rpm.

Comment

wow.... that gear knob would be weird to operate because of the right hand drive. shouldnt it be switched the other way??
                            NEED SOME VINYL STICKERS???

Comment

feels perfectly normal to me.
                              the button underneth is in the middle so you don't evennotice it.

Comment

Working...
                              X