Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R134a in 92 325i

Hey guys,

So I have a question and yes I've searched around in the forum but I'm getting conflicted answers.

My car is a 1992 325i vert and everywhere I look on the forums it says I have R32 for freon, however on RealOEM it shows I have R134a from factory since the cars starting in 03/92 onward were delivered with R134a. I looked at the part number for the compressor and it showed that it was also used from 03/01/93 onward with R134a, my car has the R134a fittings but I don't know if someone just had it converted. If you guys could help me out or if someone finds a post about it then I'll be great full. I saw a few posts but nothing really discussed my concern. Thanks in advance guys!

Also my compressor is leaking from the seal in the very middle of it. Does anyone or as anyone opened it and changed that seal before?
    1992 325i Convertible - "project"
    1994 325is - Daily

No replace the compressor. And I have been converting r12 cars to r134a since 134a came out. The only thing that you have to do is pull all the r12 out and only put in 80% of 134a that r12 capacity is. Send pictures of your fittings and I’ll be able to tell if they are factory or a conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Best picture I have right now. Don’t know if it’ll help but let me know and I’ll get a better picture as soon as I can

1994 325is - Daily

Comment

That’s a conversion fitting

Comment

Originally came with r12. When it’s refilled the weight on the sticker. Only put 80% r134a in it. If you put the same amount of 134a in a r12 system it will build too much pressure and blow a line up. Sounds like a gun shot. The very first car I converted did that and I figured out the 80% rule never had a problem. I have a 91 e30 I have had over 20 years. I converted it to r134a when I put it together. The ac is still ice cold.

Comment

Well I charged it with r134a and it leaked out in a day. Was ice cold though colder than my e36. At this point I'm wondering how much I should be involved. Me being a perfectionist will want to pull out the evap clean in all up fir new o rings everywhere and obviously at this point a new compressor. Problem is I have everything but the compressor and the compressor is $$$$
            1994 325is - Daily

Comment

I have 93 e30 vert and came with R134a. If you look at the green sticker on the black rear headlight cover, it can tell you if it was R134a from the factory.

Comment

92 didn’t. I would suggest a new evaporator core if you’re pulling it out. They are prone to leaking and arnt terrible expensive. But if your seal n the compressor is bad that’s why it’s leaking out. I have tried but never been successful in fixing a bad compressor. There’s 2 difference styles. You will need the same one for your car. The lines will be different. One has the line connectors at an angle and the others are straight.

Comment

Sticker states R12

1994 325is - Daily

Comment

It’s a Seiko and lines are at an angle

1994 325is - Daily

Comment

Dont over complicate this, as it should be pretty simple. Remove the R134a shit from the system (however you want/can). Replace that o-ring that is leaking. Bolt it all back up. Recharge the system. Easy peasy.

I wouldnt worry too much about how much you put in there. As you're charging the system, just keep your hand inside the car and feel the vent. When it starts to blow cold, back off on charging. If the system is empty it'll take about 1.5 cans (the small cans without the fancy gauge).

Comment

Originally posted by scabzzzz View Post
                        Dont over complicate this, as it should be pretty simple. Remove the R134a shit from the system (however you want/can). Replace that o-ring that is leaking. Bolt it all back up. Recharge the system. Easy peasy.

I wouldnt worry too much about how much you put in there. As you're charging the system, just keep your hand inside the car and feel the vent. When it starts to blow cold, back off on charging. If the system is empty it'll take about 1.5 cans (the small cans without the fancy gauge).

Problem is that the compressor itself is leaking at every seal lol not sure if getting another compressor is work it since it’s so expensive

1994 325is - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by DBShiznit View Post
                          Problem is that the compressor itself is leaking at every seal lol not sure if getting another compressor is work it since it’s so expensive

Ah I understand now. Thought you meant pipe seals.

I mean, expensive is relative. Whats cold air in summer time worth to ya? Philly summers are pretty swampy! :)
                          Get the cheapest one at AutoZone/Advance/etc. Should be about $230 IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by scabzzzz View Post
                            Ah I understand now. Thought you meant pipe seals.

I mean, expensive is relative. Whats cold air in summer time worth to ya? Philly summers are brutal! :)
                            Get the cheapest one at AutoZone/Advance/etc. Should be about $230 IIRC.

Well I’m torn because the vert is my weekend car my daily e36 has good A/C so it’s either spend some money to replace the compressor or just delete it all and keep the motor a little more free with less drag (I say this because the clutch squeals in the compressor I’m sure it’s causing some drag lol)

1994 325is - Daily

Comment

R134a in 92 325i

Or find a good used one I usually find them for $75 and u can test if the compressor works off the car. And if the car it is taken off of is full of freeon then it’s not leaking. To check if it works put your finger over each hole in the top and turn the front of the compressor and see if vacuum pulls on your finger from one of the line connectors. One will blow which you can’t detect but use your thumb and if it’s working you will feel slight suction. If there’s no suction then the compressor is bad. Been testing them that way for over 25 years and never got a bad compressor.

Comment

Working...
                              X