hello everyone, my name is Chris and I am a very new bmw owner

after spending a little over a week with my new to me bmw, I have decided the car will stay a while, and so i should make a progress thread for the ol girl.

i have had many different cars, although the theme is usually lightweight.
a few of my previous cars:

turbo EG civic sedan
b16 crx
FC and FB rx7
1.6 and 1.8 miata
'67 Datsun 1600
sr20 s14 240sx
sr5 and gts ae86

ive departed from this slightly with my current car, which sits in my garage:

the toyota is a slow project for me and I wanted to have something to drive around as a daily, something I can slide around in the rain and also throw 3 bags of golf clubs in. these things are tasks the mr2 does not like to accomplish.

so for the last few years ive been cruising the streets hard with a honda grom. if you are unfamiliar with the grom heres a pic:

its a fuel injected 125cc air cooled motorcycle that goes about 65mph and pretty much anywhere you want to go. my friends and I have ridden our groms from where we live in napa down to alices restaurant in woodside and back in a day. those little bikes carve up the twisties pretty hard.
but I haven't been riding mine much and my fiancé sold her grom, so I figured it would make a good starting point for getting some cash together for a new project.

well after scrolling CL I found a gentleman, who wanted to trade his e30 for a honda grom! and because I didn't know much at the time about e30s, I couldn't figure out why this e30 was being sold for so much less than the ones I see on CL.
well after some research I realized why.
diving boards... m10... L-Jet... diving boards...

but I also read that the early model 318i was pretty lightweight... and that's all I needed to see.
strapped up my grom to a truck bed and headed down towards the bay with my fiancé in tow and aiming to come back up with an e30:

so that's what I ended up coming back with.
the readers out there might be wanting to know what my vision is with this beaut…

I have no idea at this point in time. my initial goals are to get it functioning well enough to handle repeated beatings on our local mountain roads, and just catch up on overall maintenance.
but it serves a purpose for me that the mr2 does not, and that purpose is having fun. hooning around as the kids call it now days.

so couple fun things about the car.
the car and I are the same age.
the sound system is very decent. I don't usually have nice sound in my cars so this is a nice perk.
the shifter is the sloppiest ive felt in a car in a long time.
its lowered.
it feels faster than it is... the kind fellow I traded the grom to, also has a touring. he wanted the 3.91 out of the 318i, and so he swapped the diffs between the 2 cars.
when I found out the final drive of the diff he swapped in I couldn't have been happier! 4.27 baby!!! so the car feels peppy as all get out!

bang through the first 3 gears and feel like your flying... look down at the speedo and your going 45mph... perfect!

heres some more pics just cause.