Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325i Touring back home after 7 year sleep

Hi Everyone,
    It's been a long time since I've posted.
    Today I picked up my '89 Touring from storage where it sat for 7 years. Life just gets in the way and next thing you know many years have gone by and a great car just sits. My bad.
    I put in a new battery and it started up first try. I only ran it enough to get it on the trailer. I've bought a timing belt kit and water pump, filters and other misc. items. I plan on draining the fuel, changing all liquids and giving everything mechanical a good once over.
    It's good to have an old friend home again.
    Cheers
    LGB240
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lgb240; 07-25-2019, 05:02 PM.
    lgb240

`05 E46 325xiT, `89 325i Touring, `87 911 3.2, ' 74 Caterham Super 7 , `71 240z Convertible, `71 240z, `67.5 2000 Roadster, `58 MGA x2, '56 MGA vintage racer, '04 Mini Cooper S

sigpic

quick clean up
    Attached Files
    lgb240

`05 E46 325xiT, `89 325i Touring, `87 911 3.2, ' 74 Caterham Super 7 , `71 240z Convertible, `71 240z, `67.5 2000 Roadster, `58 MGA x2, '56 MGA vintage racer, '04 Mini Cooper S

sigpic

Comment

What suspension is on the car?

I’ll buy your wheels if you don’t want them.

Looks clean.

Comment

Koni yellows, IE3's
        Wheels I'll keep.
        Cheers
        lgb240

sigpic

Comment

Weren't you the Podi guy or somehow related to that product? Sorry if I'm way off base, for some reason I recall a rather detailed build thread of this car with that product.
          Build Threads:
          Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

No, that's not me.
            lgb240

sigpic

Comment

Great to see another local e30 floating around here! Search and join the Ontario E30's facebook page if you haven't already. Lots of great guys there and we regularly get together for coffee / cruises.
              Steve • Toronto
              1991 318is • Brillantrot
              Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                Weren't you the Podi guy or somehow related to that product? Sorry if I'm way off base, for some reason I recall a rather detailed build thread of this car with that product.
                that's mc hammered i think

nice ride, op!
                cars beep boop

Comment

An e30 & an e46 Touring.. Quite the garage you have there Sir!
                  Is the e46 your DD? Park those two next to each other..!

CAPP. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Cptcarisma View Post
                    An e30 & an e46 Touring.. Quite the garage you have there Sir!
                    Is the e46 your DD? Park those two next to each other..!

CAPP. :-)
                    Thanks
                    yes, E46xi is a daily, along with F150 pickup. E46 is a 5spd manual, very hard to find around here. In the summer, I daily drive my 1958 MGA (weather permitting)

I managed to get the old fuel out of the e30 yesterday and get some fresh fuel in it, along with a new fuel filter. Hopefully nothing else will need to be done to compensate for the old fuel. I added a bottle of fuel treatment, but I don't know if this actually does anything or is just snake oil.
                    Attached Files
                    lgb240

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lgb240 View Post
                      Koni yellows, IE3's
                      Wheels I'll keep.
                      Cheers

How do you like the ride comfort with this combination of IE3’s, Koni’s, and 17” wheels?

Do it make the Touring shudder and squeak as well (from a rigidity standpoint) ?

Very pretty car.

Comment

Originally posted by mach schnell View Post
                        How do you like the ride comfort with this combination of IE3’s, Koni’s, and 17” wheels?

Do it make the Touring shudder and squeak as well (from a rigidity standpoint) ?

Very pretty car.
                        IMO this set up is great for the street. It has a low enough stance, yet the ride isn't aggressively firm and doesn't beat you up. I didn't want to go with coil overs. I also have urethane bushings everywhere. No squeaks or rattles, handles great, compliant on our sh1tty southern Ontario frost heaved roads. You do have to drive accordingly and watch out for major bumps, and watch out for steep driveway angles so you don't pull off the front lip, but I drive that way with everything I have except the truck. I would recommend this set up all day long.
                        lgb240

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lgb240 View Post
                          IMO this set up is great for the street. It has a low enough stance, yet the ride isn't aggressively firm and doesn't beat you up. I didn't want to go with coil overs. I also have urethane bushings everywhere. No squeaks or rattles, handles great, compliant on our sh1tty southern Ontario frost heaved roads. You do have to drive accordingly and watch out for major bumps, and watch out for steep driveway angles so you don't pull off the front lip, but I drive that way with everything I have except the truck. I would recommend this set up all day long.

Interesting. Thanks.

I was going to go for a set of H&R Sport’s and yellow Koni’s, with 16” wheels, to keep it compliant and to keep the car from squeaking and rattling...

... but maybe I don’t need to.

Comment

Originally posted by mach schnell View Post
                            Interesting. Thanks.

I was going to go for a set of H&R Sport’s and yellow Koni’s, with 16” wheels, to keep it compliant and to keep the car from squeaking and rattling...

... but maybe I don’t need to.
                            I think the set up above would be great as well...personal preference prevails.
                            Squeaks and rattles would be more a product of the condition of your car and how well it's put together, and probably magnified by a stiffer suspension regardless of what is chosen. Be sure to lube any bushings while you have things apart. Any squeaks and rattles are easy to chase down a fix afterwards.
                            lgb240

sigpic

Comment

Flushed the brake fluid tonight...one of my rear st.steel flex lines is weeping fluid at the crimped connection...time for new flex lines
                              Attached Files
                              lgb240

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X