Making a track toy - E30 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is an update on RNGTOY.

Multiple visits to Nurburgring and Spa have taken it´s toll :)

The car is now at Tauber for repairs & mods and is also being stripped
    and having a cage installed

The list of things to fix was quite extensive - broken engine mount,
    hole in the radiator, broken rear subframe, broken sway bar mounting,
    busted guibo....

Anyways - here are pics:

Thordur

1999 E39 M5 Twin Supercharged
    1989 E30 M3 with S85

Comment

You went through all that trouble to strip the interior, why not put a real cage in?

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
      You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

damn, that subframe carnage is horrible!
        My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
        There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Jesus christ that rust is some scary shit, and the rear subframe looks pretty frightening as well. I thank god every day I have an Az car.

Comment

Originally posted by madjurgen View Post
            You went through all that trouble to strip the interior, why not put a real cage in?
            What is your definition of a real cage?
            Thordur

1989 E30 M3 with S85

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
              damn, that subframe carnage is horrible!
              No wonder the car felt loose in the back...... :roll:
              Thordur

1989 E30 M3 with S85

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer View Post
                What is your definition of a real cage?
                A real weld in cage made custom for the car .

No some adjustable slidey threaded bolt in cage .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
                  A real weld in cage made custom for the car .

No some adjustable slidey threaded bolt in cage .
                  This cage is made custom for the E30 by Heigo.
                  Thordur

1989 E30 M3 with S85

Comment

you should take the s14 and drop it in to a 2002 make a nicer track car.
                    Benji

'90 M50 + M3 Tranny e30 - SOLD
                    '99 528iT (M5 Rep bumper) - SOLD
                    '03 ML350 - For Sale

BIMMERLESS at the moment. :???:

Comment

Thor by no means take it as an attack or anything .
                      I personally like this car and the things you've done so far ...and your E39 is just pimp .
                      Plus your pic taking and story telling is top notch also . :D

I just don't see this bolt in adjustable kit as matching the level you have done on other areas of the car .
                      A custom weld in cage would have been a better choice taking into account the other modifications to date .
                      On this cage it appears that most of the bracing actually has pivot points .
                      Is the Heigo cage TUV approved ?

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Yes Its TUV approved, or should be. Heigo is about 45 minutes from me, and i was thinking about buying that cage a few years ago.
                        Its VERY hard to find someone here in germany to BUILD a cage-- although HEIGO will build a full DTM cage for an E30- if it is COMPLETELY emptied- the old man"owner" there actually pulled out the old 1990 DTM blueprints for the cages they built.

Back to your car. ----------top notch!!!! I take back all the things I said about pulling that car apart back then. I had no idea what the shape of the car REALLY was.-- kinda scary-- but exactly why i dont drive mine-- they love some salt on the roads here.

That car is so lucky your the owner, cause i think most people wouldnt have given that car the chance you have. hats off to you!!

once again, if you get time, you should stop by when you are at that shop, I live only about 35 minuted from there. would be great to meet you. Tauber had a nice collection at the last show I was at.

Comment

Originally posted by RedStar240 View Post
                          you should take the s14 and drop it in to a 2002 make a nicer track car.
                          Thordur

1989 E30 M3 with S85

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
                            Thor by no means take it as an attack or anything .
                            I personally like this car and the things you've done so far ...and your E39 is just pimp .
                            Plus your pic taking and story telling is top notch also . :D

I just don't see this bolt in adjustable kit as matching the level you have done on other areas of the car .
                            A custom weld in cage would have been a better choice taking into account the other modifications to date .
                            On this cage it appears that most of the bracing actually has pivot points .
                            Is the Heigo cage TUV approved ?
                            I let the guys at Tauber choose the cage for the most part - they have
                            much more experience than I have. I am not 100% sure it´s TUV
                            approved but I think it is.
                            Thordur

1989 E30 M3 with S85

Comment

Originally posted by mikeedler View Post
                              Yes Its TUV approved, or should be. Heigo is about 45 minutes from me, and i was thinking about buying that cage a few years ago.
                              Its VERY hard to find someone here in germany to BUILD a cage-- although HEIGO will build a full DTM cage for an E30- if it is COMPLETELY emptied- the old man"owner" there actually pulled out the old 1990 DTM blueprints for the cages they built.

Back to your car. ----------top notch!!!! I take back all the things I said about pulling that car apart back then. I had no idea what the shape of the car REALLY was.-- kinda scary-- but exactly why i dont drive mine-- they love some salt on the roads here.

That car is so lucky your the owner, cause i think most people wouldnt have given that car the chance you have. hats off to you!!

once again, if you get time, you should stop by when you are at that shop, I live only about 35 minuted from there. would be great to meet you. Tauber had a nice collection at the last show I was at.
                              I´ll be picking the car up from Tauber at the beginning of August - I´ll
                              try to drop by ;)
                              Thordur

1989 E30 M3 with S85

Comment

Thordur, I've enjoyed your posts on all the forums I frequent and always look forward to the next installment. If I ever visit Iceland I'll buy you all the beer you can drink. :D

Also, please don't ever stop taking and posting videos of your exploits. They are as close to driving the 'Ring and elsewhere as many of us may ever get.

Thanks,

Tim

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats
                                MTech2 wheel | Husco Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003
                                | Shadowline | Amber Fogs | Too much else to list

Comment

Working...
                                X