Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suspension Overhual (56k no,no) All done new pics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension Overhual (56k no,no) All done new pics.

Well I started my Suspension overhual today. At first it was just going to be an install of Bilstein sturts and shocks and new rear shock mounts. But When pulling the struts I found the Control arm balljoints were shot, so I ordered a set of arms and will finish the install once they get here(hopefully monday).
    Before

Everything off

Half way threw today I took my strut housings down to a local body shop to get some Ground control m3 sway bar link plates welded on.

Old struts versus new Bilstein struts

Front struts assembled

Rear bilsteins

Rear strur bar

My worn out Tires
    Right rear

Left rear

Right Front

How I left the car till the control arms come in The rear is all complete Tommorow I'll pull the control arms and get the old bushing off and out of the lollipops.
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

fix all that get new tires ASAP.

youl thank me later.
    98 M3/4/5

Comment

maybe it's just the angle but that looks like a NASTY weld

"Modern cars may be able to outgun it, but few can match its character, its motorsport spirit, and the way it plasters a huge grin on your face at any speed." - Patrick George

1988 M3 - Track Rat
      1989 325iC M50 Vert
      1989 325i Coupe
      1991 318is
      1995 318ti Club Sport
      2006 330i e90
      2008 Tundra Crewmax

Comment

Originally posted by brodee
        maybe it's just the angle but that looks like a NASTY weld
        whos gonna see it anyways?

as long as its strong

Comment

Ya I know I need tires badly. But right now I only have $60 to my name :( I've already spent $600 on the car this month, it will probally be close to $800 by the time it's all said and done. I may just toss on some Bottle caps as I have 5 in the garage in the mean time. Sliding around with the rear end is fun right now though :twisted: I got done with a Calc. final exam today and got the ass end out as I was going round the corner at the college autoshop. I gave all the ricers a nice show.
          The weld is pretty thick. The guy was having a hard time as he had to hold the bracket in place with one hand, and spot weld it with the other and keep the strut from rolling down the ramp he had it sitting on. It's nice and strong so I don't care, plus it was cheap :D

Comment

Originally posted by T.Dot E30
            whos gonna see it anyways? as long as its strong
            Well usually welds that don't look good aren't good. But if it's strong enough it doesn't matter how it looks

"Modern cars may be able to outgun it, but few can match its character, its motorsport spirit, and the way it plasters a huge grin on your face at any speed." - Patrick George

1988 M3 - Track Rat
            1989 325iC M50 Vert
            1989 325i Coupe
            1991 318is
            1995 318ti Club Sport
            2006 330i e90
            2008 Tundra Crewmax

Comment

It looks better up close. I'm not worried about it any. I'll just be glad to finally get the m3 endlinks on as they have been sitting on a self for 3 months now.

Comment

I'm doing the exact same thing you are. Control arms and bushings are shot, same with the original shocks. One shock is actually leaking, it's god's sign telling me to lower it, so I am.

Comment

Take Drews advice and do something about the shoes on that car.

If you want see what happens when you dont look in Drews signature. :(

Tommorow i am getting my rear left spare (i had a flat) tire taken off as there is no traction left but atleast the rest have lots of rubber left. :)

Comment

Tires are the next thing I will be buying(once I have the money)

Comment

what are you talking about, no traction but plenty of rubber.... people with unsafe vehciles should not be driving them on the roads.... brakes and tires need to be taken care of very seriously... not only do you put you life at risk.... but more so you put other peoples lives at risk... including your e30...

as far as the sway bar brackets... where did you get them? or did you have to make them.... this is something that i want to do

http://www.westwerksauto.com

Comment

Ground control- $8 per bracket then The links I got off an m3 sway bar i purchased but you can buy the links new for around $24 I think. I'm slowly working on scrounging together money for the tires. I've got bottle caps in the garage so those will be going on till then or I'll drive my 318i around a little longer.

Comment

Ok finished up the install today ups like ussual didn't show up with my new control arms and bushings till 4 p.m. yesterday not leaving me to much time to get everything done but I got everything done but the control arm bushings, then this morning I finished those.

To me the car looks like the front is riding a tad higher but that might be due to not having blown shocks any more except for I pulled the spring pads out. It's fine with me at least this way I can save my fenders

Comment

Working...
                          X