New engine bay pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New engine bay pics

Since I had to tear down most of the enginefor the head gasket fix, i figured now was an excellent time to do some of the painting I always wanted. So I picked up some high-temp paint from Schucks, a roll of masking tape and got to work. The intake manifold was hardest to mask & paint because of the rough surface, and the the finish definitely turned out different than the other parts. But all in all, it looks fucking sweet!

That's pretty cool. How long did that take to do?
    sigpic

Comment

looks like what my old car looked like. back then i was the only one with that color scheme. i like!

kyle
      1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
      DILLIGAF

Comment

Nice mate looks pretty good, different to
        sigpic340hp V8 e30 FINISHED!!!!!
        Quick vid for ya ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp5Eaf8xOgM
        NEW One on the track :)
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-AX5SzSLnk
        Cleaning up some 911s and Jap turbos
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad79wsLdle4

Comment

Originally posted by JJe30 View Post
          That's pretty cool. How long did that take to do?
          Well getting the manifold off is a PITA unless you have the head off also...but all the painting, masking and drying took about a day. Mind you I wasn't working that whole time. I sprayed 3 coats of red, let it dry, masked it off, sprayed three coats of black and let it all dry overnight before re-installing it.
          Last edited by CorvallisBMW; 07-02-2007, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Niiiice.
            Originally posted by Gruelius
            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

I'd have to agree, that color scheme looks pretty fuckin' sweet.

Comment

The red cable-ties are a great touch!

I painted mine, too while everything was out. I must have scrubbed the nooks and crannies on the intake manifold for hours. Here's mine.

"If I were filthy rich I'd still drive my E30."

Comment

Originally posted by fwappy View Post
                  The red cable-ties are a great touch!

I painted mine, too while everything was out. I must have scrubbed the nooks and crannies on the intake manifold for hours. Here's mine.

That looks awesome. I didn't take the time to try and mask the little ridges inside the emblem, but on hindsight I probably would have sprayed those parts black and then sanded the black off, revealing the red beneath on just the ridges. Or perhaps I could have used a paintbrush and tried to get the ridges red...oh well, i doubt people would really even notice.

Comment

I didn't really mask anything but the posts and mounting surfaces. I just sanded the ridges in between coats with a flat block, then sanded once really well at the end. Then I masked the logo and ridges completely and added one last coat to get the accidental scuffs from sanding.

Yours looks awesome, too bro. If I ever do one of these again, I plan on going with t metallic anthracite, like 10 coats so it's glassy smooth.

Ha, just noticed your airbox cover! Nice touch!!

"If I were filthy rich I'd still drive my E30."

Comment

Yeah I like how the airbox cover looks along with everything else.

Comment

i really like how that turned out
                        sigpic

Comment

cool idea

Comment

Originally posted by fwappy View Post
                            I didn't really mask anything but the posts and mounting surfaces. I just sanded the ridges in between coats with a flat block, then sanded once really well at the end. Then I masked the logo and ridges completely and added one last coat to get the accidental scuffs from sanding.
                            It looks like that method worked really well! the detail is definitely sharper on the very small ridges and circles than you could get with masking, I like it a lot.

Comment

Lookin' good.

Comment

Working...
                              X