Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone offer some expert advice on negotiating with used autosalesman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone offer some expert advice on negotiating with used autosalesman?

I'm going to use my E30 87 325e 175k miles. it has alot of problems, trying to use as trade in...(only maybe like $400 or $500 worth)

NADA value on this E39 is $10,050 - $11,300
    With trade in $1500 cash down, offering $10,100 including tax.

This E46 is way overpriced IMHO. It's in great condition though.
    NADA value is $10,700 - $13,100
    Like i said with trade in and $1500 cash, offering $12,900 including tax and work from there.

Opinions?
    Recent Rebranding!!
    Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
    E30 SM62/S62
    E30 M60 V8
    E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
    Instagram.com/garageaholic
    Youtube.com/garageaholic

Well, even before it got wrecked the dealers around here would only give us $200 for his 86 325es with 156K on it. (hopefully you can get better).

If I were you I would go for the 5 series. Thats just me though.

Comment

Unless it's a real crummy car lot, they may give you 500 credit for the eta, but in the end they'll just sell it wholesale. The only advice I'll give you is that don't get your heart set on something. Be able to walk away. Sometimes they'll chase after you, sometimes they won't. Just figure out in your mind what you're willing to pay. Offer 500-1000 less than that number, see if they come down to your "reserve". If not make a final offer of your reserve, then walk away if they don't take it. They have lots of ways to screw with your head, and you'll hear "that's too low, but I can ask the manager if you insist". F -em. Private party is where the deals are.

Comment

Thanks guys.

What other things could they say to get me to take the deal? what other bogus dealer incentives would a prospective buyer fall for in order to compromise on a price higher than they originally wanted.

How do I know if they really can't go that low or if they are playing me like a swedish fiddle?
        Recent Rebranding!!
        E30 SM62/S62
        E30 M60 V8
        E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

You may as well keep the eta and scrounge up another 200 bucks.
          Yours truly,
          Rich
          sigpic
          Originally posted by Rigmaster
          you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Aaaah, i thought about that.. and keep the eta and put in a demo derby or something upstate here. but...

the car that i'm interested in is far away. NOTHING is here in binghamton. everythings in NJ or long island... so i need to go down there in order to get it. I was going to do that this weekend. I'm having a hard time finding a friend to drive down there with me on the chance that I may not even buy a car.... with that being said, i'm doing it all on my own here, so no ride unfortunately :(

The money's not an issue when it comes to a 20 year old eta (scrap or keep...)
            Recent Rebranding!!
            E30 SM62/S62
            E30 M60 V8
            E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

i think youll be lucky to get anything at all for your eta. not that its a bad car or anything. but more often than not they will say they cant get anything for it and itll need to be wholesaled so its not worth their time. ive even heard once they refused to take a car on trade in and told the guy to go sell the car on his own and come back with cash!?!?!?!

Comment

haha ,wow, then fine, i won't buy the car.

but most salesman will do anything it takes to make the sale, even if it's worth taking a few hundred bucks off the car (which i'm expecting and hoping)
                Recent Rebranding!!
                E30 SM62/S62
                E30 M60 V8
                E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Originally posted by M3fan4eva View Post
                  haha ,wow, then fine, i won't buy the car.

but most salesman will do anything it takes to make the sale, even if it's worth taking a few hundred bucks off the car (which i'm expecting and hoping)
                  Not true.
                  Not all salesmen are desperate to make the sale.... and they'll lose that "desperation" as soon as you show up with a 20+ year old ~200k mile car.

Sell the E on your own, find out what financing a local lender will give you on the auto. (I wouldn't finance through the dealer). Now, subtract ~2k from the highest value the lender will approve you for. That new number is your top buying bracket. That leaves you with $$ for tax/title/registration and any/all maitenance the car will need after you buy it.

FWIW on any e39 over 70k miles, you have to replace the entire cooling system. No I didn't say you should, I said you HAVE to. Theres ~$1k right there.

Just my
                  Below the radar...

Comment

Keep the eta. You'll be glad you did on those days you can't drive the new one, or when you're disgustingly filthy or going somewhere you know you will be getting filthy.

Is there not a train or other way to get to the new one?

"If I were filthy rich I'd still drive my E30."

Comment

Naah, no train nearby.

What's the deal with the cooling system on e39's? radiator/hoses/pump?

I need to think about how to sell this...I think i can sell it.

Fwappy, i have my M30 E30 as a driver if the other one needs some work. no biggie.
                      Recent Rebranding!!
                      E30 SM62/S62
                      E30 M60 V8
                      E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Originally posted by M3fan4eva View Post
                        Naah, no train nearby.

What's the deal with the cooling system on e39's? radiator/hoses/pump?

I need to think about how to sell this...I think i can sell it.

Fwappy, i have my M30 E30 as a driver if the other one needs some work. no biggie.
                        Word. Yah, that's a nice one too.

"If I were filthy rich I'd still drive my E30."

Comment

e46 and e39s both having cooling systems woes, like every other BMW. More like around 100k plan on replacing coolant tank, hoses, waterpump, etc, etc. They are pretty problem free, the earlier e39s had there issues though. I love my e46, an 01 325ci, and havent had anything other than usual maintence things, and its right near 100k.
                          01 325Ci
                          87 325iS w/ M30B35 swap

Comment

Working...
                          X