baby's first E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

baby's first E30

Hey guys I posted on here once already about an auction car I was looking at. Well, today was the auction, and I came away the lucky winner. Its a 1989 325i sedan, 5-speed manual. Only 104k miles!

The car needs very little, especially for an auction car. It had some little issues with the front grille, I fixed them. Also some oddities with the under-dash pieces and glove box, I got those looking good also. I washed it and cleaned it up, it looks really good.

There is a lot of paperwork in the glove box showing some prior owner history. Even has like 10 years worth of state inspection slips. I even found an old document you might find interesting... it's hard to read, but I think you will see that this car only came with one extra option, and it's a good one :)

The car runs great, shifts smoothly. It does have noisy valves and a slight vacuum leak. Also, the coolant temp only goes up to about 30%, just at one hashmark before the middle one. I wonder if there is a lower-than-stock thermostat in there...

It has been driven so little that the tires are dry rotted on their sidewalls. I ordered new tires tonight, and I will be changing the oil soon, hopefully a thicker weight will quiet those valves a little.
    ~ Squirrel

1988 325is
    1989 325i 5-speed, w/ LSD (sold)
    1989 Acura Legend Coupe 5-speed
    1990 Honda VTR250
    1985 Honda Nighthawk 700S

Not a bad little car, got any plans for it?

I have wanted a 4-door for sometime, but when i went looknig I didnt see any in descent shape.

Nice job!

Comment

Clean catch. Any plans?

Comment

Nice pick up
        sigpic

Comment

Looks good, how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking. LSD is always good too.
          97 tacoma 5 spd 4 cylinder
          2001 330ci 5 speed
          83 733i 5 speed, (FS)

Comment

Clean... looks like a nice polish or claybar and the paint will shine too.

Comment

Unfortunately, the paint is scratched all over. It still has shine, but it looks like someone washed the car with a scoth-brite pad or something. I am going to leave the paint alone for now. If it was black, I'd be screwed. But it's not as obvious on the champagne color.

As far as mods go, I am considering shocks. I understand Bilstein has some good options. I actually want to keep it mostly stock. No agressive lowering or anything, no crazy wheels (unless I can get my hands on some 15" basket weaves). I like that it has low miles, and it's a 5-speed sedan with the optional LSD, and I have paperwork to prove it. That inspires me to keep it clean and simple. If it was a 325is, I'd go agressive with the suspension, etc. But the taller gearing and such make this less of an autocrosser and more of a daily fun semi-classic.

Oh yeah, I only paid $1100 for it. And it looks like all I am going to buy for it in the near future is the tires and a battery (already got that today).

You can see my girlfriend's Forester XT (turbo) in the background. She wants to use this 325 for her to learn autocrossing :)
              ~ Squirrel

1988 325is
              1989 325i 5-speed, w/ LSD (sold)
              1989 Acura Legend Coupe 5-speed
              1990 Honda VTR250
              1985 Honda Nighthawk 700S

Comment

is that bronzit or dirty sterlingsilber?

hard to tell from the pics, usually bronzit looks darker.

Nice catch!
                Jay

Comment

Looks like a nice and clean car!! Good start!

Do the service indicator lights work ok ? It could be thermostat, easy and cheap enough to swap. Might as well do that, who knows when the last time coolant was flushed.
                  Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Nice nice.

-> Afficionados join the M-technic I club

Comment

paint the bottlecaps!

Comment

change the timing belt and water pump on that bad boy

also get used to the valve noise .............it isnt going any where

oh yea welcome to the forums = )
                        Originally posted by ebelements
                        Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.

Comment

That looks just like my old E30. Good to have another member in Richmond.

Comment

wow thats like my twin car

good find!

im jealous of the black interior. mine came with camel or w/e

Comment

LSD on a "i" car is a rare find. Congrats on the purchese.
                              '88 325ic

Comment

Working...
                              X