"The Black e30" is coming along...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Black e30" is coming along...

This thread is mostly for my PNW buddies who remember when I got this car a couple years ago. It wasn't in bad shape, it just needed some TLC. I've probably put a total of two or three thousand miles on this car in the two years I've owned it; it's just kinda been a 'spare'. I've been meaning to sell it for quite some time now, but I just now got some free time to attend to all the things I've wanted since I purchased it.

The name obviously refers to the color, which I referred to when speaking about this car, as I've had a few e30's over the years. In the last three days I've done quite a bit of maintenance, buffed and polished the paint, trashed the ripped cloth interior for mint black vinyl, dyed the rear speaker shelf, ran a compression test, and fixed some little stuff. There's still more to do, including that dreaded timing belt, but when I sell this I intend to get as much as possible. Funny thing is, I'm starting to reconsider my decision to sell.

For some reason I always sort of viewed this car as the one that would leave me stranded, but it's always proved me wrong. I've always had this tendency to think every e30 has (or had) some serious problem, when in reality that just isn't true. This car has never failed to start, even after months of sitting, and has always got me to my destination. After the maintenance I did today and the compression test results (137-145, less than 7.5% variance, woohoo!), I wouldn't be surprised if this car goes another 173,000 miles.

Yeah, I think I'll probably drive it for the first few months of spring/summer ;)

P.S. Sorry about the camera phone pics, someone's brother doesn't know how to recharge battery packs. Better pics will be posted soon (with the grill intact!).

Last edited by Joey Link; 04-03-2008, 07:30 PM.

you're such an e30 whore!

Comment

shhhhh ;) ;)

Comment

damn!!! your paint looks really clean!!!

Comment

looks good

Comment

The paint looks very shiny...needs more kidneys though :D

Comment

nice paint!!

Comment

Thanks guys. Held that stupid Porter Cable for 5 hours working the paint; I really need to get a rotary and learn how to use it safely. Sadly, the paint is still 19 years old, and has quite a few small imperfections. The good thing is very few people notice them and the car looks great from a few feet away :D

Comment

sweet dude. good to see you around. when are you going to host another day at your dad's shop? ;)
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah buddy, I'm still alive. This business has been taking all my time, but I've been freeing some up for some e30 lovin' ;)

They're moving shops in less than a month to Vancouver. Unfortunately, the city is dragging its feet on approving they're new shop construction, so they had to rent an old brick shop next door which I haven't seen by my dad describes as a 'dungeon'. Hopefully it isn't as bad as he says it is and we can put something together after the move. It'd sure be nice to have someone who's done a timing belt before looking over my noobie shoulder.

Comment

i like it.
                      Originally posted by e30e
                      lose the old man bmwcca badge.

Comment

Bottle caps ftw!
                        1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

looks clean.

Comment

Working...
                          X