Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

e to i: A story of Love, Lust, and Betrayal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e to i: A story of Love, Lust, and Betrayal.

Hallo, ich heisse Manfred. I'm fairly new to this forum, so allow me to introduce myself. I'm 18, and I bought my first car/e30 about a year ago. It is an 1985 325e. It was a great starter car and it's very reliable. I haven't had to put much money into it at all except for routing maintenance. But I got so sick of puttin around in it. Plus it's some maroon color and really isn't much to look at. See for yourself:

So I started searching for something a little nicer, and less eta-ish, as many have done before me. After searching craigslist for a few months I came across an ad for a 1990 325i. A blown head gasket was the main problem, followed by many more annoying (FUCK)inconvenences(FUCK). The price was right, and I thought I knew what I was getting in to, so I bought the car. My dad and I took off the head, replaced belts, water pump, gaskets, radiator, and the t-stat. We brought the head in to a shop to be milled and have the valve seats reground etc. They also said I would need a new camshaft. So I dished out another 200 or so and picked that up. For anyone who is considering fixing an e30 like I did, you will most likely pay a lot more than you would expect, especially if you want to do it right. In my case it was twice as much. That being said, it was worth it for me because 1. I love these cars, and 2. I learned so much about working on cars in general. Next we reassembled the car. Once we got it all back together I cranked it over and it started right up. Wow that felt great. But anyway turns out that was just the beginning. An unadvertised shot wheel bearing set me back another week or so, and I replaced a control arm and tie rod as well. I got it alligned and that's where I'm at as of now. My new love:

Through the process of working on this car I realized the PO was an idiot. There is so much shit ghettofied on this car. The exaust appears to have been JB welded all the way back, the headers weren't bolted on and some of the studs were missing, the ABS sensors are cut off the car, he hit a curb at some point and f-ed up the front left quadrant, he let a bunch of rust go, lost body parts and left others broken, the head was rebuilt at some point and the wrong sized valves were put in!, the brakes were shot, just to name a few things. He also forgot to mention that it needs new suspension all around (I would have done this anyway). I replaced the front brake pads and rotors (AKE rotors, akebono euro pads, SWEET!). But now that the 90 is running I realize what an amazing difference there is between the two cars. The 3.73 LSD on the 90 is a dream come true. The difference in engine power is ridiculous. It's nice to not have to consider 4000 RPM beating the shit out of my car. The 90 has pretty much everything the eta lacked. It's nice to be able to consider upgrades and such without coming to the conclusion that it would be a waste of time and money. I'm completely satisfied to say the least. So that's my story. As soon as I pay off the rest of the money I owe to my dad I plan on:

1. Fixing everything mechanically wrong with the car; sunroof, door locks, windows, Fan that only works on high, power steering.
    2. Installing lowering shocks/springs.
    3. Fixing cosmetic issues; rust, front valence, fog light covers
    4. Refinishing wheels.
    5. Fixing exaust
    The list goes on,
    and on...
    23,452. After college, ENGINE SWAP!

And here's a few more pictures:

THE END

If someone could tell me how to make my signature larger, that would be great.

Thanks, Manfred
    sigpic

Hey Manfred, welcome to R3V.

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Welcome, payin' the dues early I see.
      Matt

sigpic

Comment

delphin FTMFW!!! looks clean sans the rust, project cars can really start racking up the $ on you like that (see my untold 2002 story). good luck with everything! seems like your on the right path (maint first, mods 2nd)

Comment

welcome man. a little tlc and you got a looker.
          THE ONLY WAY TO DRIVE AN S2K IS TOPLESS AND BOOSTED! GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!

sigpic

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Payin dues is an understatement to this E30 game.

Comment

Working...
              X