Five Hours + Blood/Sweat/Tears = Long Friday Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Five Hours + Blood/Sweat/Tears = Long Friday Night

So I got the e28 and I have a mod and maintenance regiment planned out. I know there are certain items that I had to get done on the e28 and at the top of the list are the E Code Headlamps AKA Euro Lights w/ Grill.

I HATE halogens and sealed beam and I need HIDs so I figured I would also get a set of H4 HIDs 55W 5000K to add to the mix. I figured it would be a plug and play affair(just like my e30 and the e36 and every other car I did them in). Well I was wrong...

First we remove the front end of the e28 at 7pm. Grills come off, sealed beam crap US buckets/lamps come out. Have our high beam and low beam plugs. Get to work with the DVOM and find out +/- and my meter is showing 8.5V. How the hell the OEM lights are even turning on I have no clue but I go with a bad ground is causing this. I check the resistance from the negative battery post to the chassis ground(A whole 4in away) and it is 85ohm... That is unheard of! Horrible! So I spend an hour removing every ground, cleaning and redoing it. I even build a "Grounding Kit" and add that to the car and still nothing.

Now I rush to the parts store(Autozone because it is 8:30 and NAPA is closed) and get 2 relays, some fuse holders and extra wire. I spend the next couple of hours building a fused relay harness for the low beam of each side and FINALLY the HIDs work on the switch! High beams work too! Put everything back together and drive home...

Today I spent the a good portion of the day with kendogg(fellow bf.c member) rebuilding the ignition system. Fresh everything and a valve adjustment + valve cover gasket.

Coming Soon - 20% Tint(Monday) - Full Suspension Rebuild(In Trunk haha) - Yellow "Rally Lights" - Bumper Tuck

Guess it was worth it :)

Before:

After: Excuse the dirt... It rained like mad here!

Looks sweet dude!
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
    This is the internet. Just make something up.

Comment

I approve. Where are you getting your tint done? I am going to need mine when I put new audio stuff in. The high schoolers at my school are notorious for stealing things.

Comment

I got a local hook up with Hot Spots Tinting. Their mobile Tinter Bridgette does all my cars. I won't let anyone else do it.

Comment

Are you bringing the E28 to the Dragon? Can't wait to see it!

1991 325ic and 1991 318is

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie30 View Post
            Are you bringing the E28 to the Dragon? Can't wait to see it!
            Oh Yes!

It should be setup by then for a very sweet night time run through the dragon :)

Have a very "2002ish" mod coming ;)

Comment

how much does the lights and grills run?

Comment

Originally posted by Tree18is View Post
                how much does the lights and grills run?
                Depending on condition and location but normally in the 300 range.

Local friend had these so I saved on shipping so 225 + 55W HIDs + Lamin-x + Wiring Kit I built

Comment

Does the lows have city lights? If they do, could you get a picture with them on in the dark?

1992 BMW 325iC
                  1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                  1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                    Does the lows have city lights? If they do, could you get a picture with them on in the dark?
                    They do but not wired in.

Comment

cliffs notes?

5-hours + blood + sweat + tears = Yellow highs

:)

looks good!

Comment

Can't wait to see it in person..

Comment

Originally posted by 2002maniac View Post
                          cliffs notes?

5-hours + blood + sweat + tears = Yellow highs

:)

looks good!
                          Nope :)

Equals 7" H4 Low Beams with 55W HIDs and Yellow Highs :)

Comment

How do the hids work in the non-ellipsoid lights?

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
                              How do the hids work in the non-ellipsoid lights?
                              not very well, they mostly blind people due to nasty hot-spots.
                              IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X