Finally part of the E34 club!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally part of the E34 club!

I've loved E34's for longer than I can remember. For one reason or another, I've never owned one....until now.

Yesterday I sold my black '89 325i and I was casually browsing craigslist (very dangerous when you have cash). I was looking to see if there happened to be any cheap black E34 525iT's (of course there weren't), and I came across this '91 525i. The first thing I noticed was the price, $1200. What?! $1200? At that price, I could still put the majority of the money from the E30 sale toward credit card bills (the purpose of selling the E30).

The reason for such a low price is the she's getting the dreaded 'trans program' error and it's going into limp mode from time to time. The local dealership said the problem was an internal solenoid that couldn't be fixed and said the transmission needed to be replaced. They quoted her $4900 for a new one, installed .

She ended up taking $1,000 for it.

I was originally going to get the transmission fixed and sell it, but after putting around 100 miles on it today, I'm definitely keeping it *at least* throughout the summer. Everything about this car, aside from three issues, is clean and tight. Exterior has one door ding, interior is dirty but will clean up nicely. Brakes and suspension seem to be in good condition. Engine has one slight 'rumble' every 3-4 seconds, but I'd bet a tune-up would cure that. Great power all through the rev range and runs great overall. Tires have less than 2,000 miles on them. Almost all maintenance records, and the original owner was a little old lady :D

The only problems are the Trans Program issue, the sunroof panel headliner needs to be reglued, and the driver seat headrest has a stripped gear or something.

While it's not the black, manual, E34 525iT I want, I think it's the perfect car to usher me onto and down that slippery E34 slope. I'll be using this thread to update my work on the car.

Awesome price for a clean car. Drive it till it dies and swap the motor into an E30 with a motor later you will have a swapped car for a great price.
    sigpic

Comment

its no e30 lol

Comment

Good price. I'd take 10.
        "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Originally posted by Hartge_H27 View Post
          its no e30 lol
          Exactly :D

Comment

1. i didnt know 91 525s had a non vanos m50, thought they were m20s up until 92.
            2. i didnt know they had the battery in the front, the majority are under the rear seat.

Comment

1. I thought the same thing
              2. weird, my 92 m50 e34 has the battery under the rear seat, pass side just like my e32

what kind of mpg do you get? I think the sending unit for my fuel gauge needs to be replaced, and it's throwing me off
              Originally posted by blunt
              can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

Originally posted by ColdAccord View Post
                what kind of mpg do you get?
                I got 28.3 on the highway and around 20 in the city yesterday. I'm very happy with those numbers :)

Only thing that sucks is the NV M50 takes premium.

Comment

you sir are a thief. How could you rip off an old lady. Nice find.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                  My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Nice find. but i prefer the E30.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Link View Post
                      I got 28.3 on the highway and around 20 in the city yesterday. I'm very happy with those numbers :)

Only thing that sucks is the NV M50 takes premium.
                      meh, i run it on 87 and its fine
                      Originally posted by blunt
                      can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

Jenny and I spent a good seven hours today cleaning the beast. All in all, I'm shocked at what was under the dirt and grime. This car is honestly one of the cleanest E34's I've seen. I can't wait to find some 18" style 5's :D

Comment

Check all the connectors for the transmission and make sure none of the pins have come loose from their plugs. Clean the pins and put dialetric grease on all the trans connectors...

as for wheels, I have a set of 18" staggered m parallel replicas with like 200 miles on them.

http://www.westwerksauto.com

Comment

Originally posted by e30evolution View Post
                            Check all the connectors for the transmission and make sure none of the pins have come loose from their plugs. Clean the pins and put dialetric grease on all the trans connectors...

as for wheels, I have a set of 18" staggered m parallel replicas with like 200 miles on them.
                            Thanks for the tips!

I used to want nothing but M-Parallels, but now for some reason I really want style 5's.

Comment

Working...
                            X