engine bay sound deadening - remove ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine bay sound deadening - remove ?

I'm rebuilding an e30 - there's a thread here somwhere. I've pulled the old m10 and will be installing an m42. Car will have a clean vintage sport look (wrapping my headers but leaving the sunroof shade in place, wire brushed all of the exposed aluminum...)

So the sound deadening in my bay is tatty and I'm thinking of tearing it all out.I'm worried though it will look worse. What have the other guys done ? Regrets ? Photos?

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	m10pull.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	9894668
    Click image for larger version

Name:	deadening2.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	9894670 Click image for larger version

Name:	deadening1.jpg
Views:	1517
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	9894669

Comment

Just leave it, if you think that's bad you should see what the sound deadening looks like on some of the older models like the e21. Oh, or the newer models like the e36. E30's are actually pretty solid in terms of the sound deadening. May look a little worn but held up 10x better then other models.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
      1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
      1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
      1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
      1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
      1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
      Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
      1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
      1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Leave it. I pulled it when going M52 (also started w/a M10) and definitely regret it. I'll be beginning this same conversion shortly on another shell and will be leaving it in.
        IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Comment

Also, the new OEM deadening has a weird texture to it (the original was smooth in my ‘88). I personally appreciate the honest look of new vs old in an old car. I only replaced the two side pieces as the center section is ridiculously expensive. Anyway, I’m hacking up a plastic cover that came in the M42 bay to tidy up the M20. Sounds like you may be doing this as well? If so, it doesn’t really matter what goes behind it. Only you and your mechanic will know.
          ------------------------------------
          01.5 S4 Avant - Sold
          88 325iS - In pieces
          91 e34 - Totaled by some dumbass
          90 325i - Daily
          06 e91 - Sold

feedback thread

Comment

i've ripped out a good amount of mine, but not the whole thing. honestly it weighs a ton and for how much it weighs there are better options out there now days. a good example of this is the trunk. that sound deadening weighs over 50lbs... it didn't even do a great job. alternatives like dynamat and their line of items you aren't limited. i wouldn't leave it blank though. that transmission tunnel is a good place for reverberation.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys - I guess I will leave it. May try to wash it down - that might help. I don't want to go dynamat - looks too flash and silvery. Sounds like I don't want to raw do it either..last option is to buy the factory parts but that's not in the budget for this build.

Comment

Originally posted by jwetering View Post
                Thanks for the input guys - I guess I will leave it. May try to wash it down - that might help. I don't want to go dynamat - looks too flash and silvery. Sounds like I don't want to raw do it either..last option is to buy the factory parts but that's not in the budget for this build.
                On the interior where it's hidden I would use Dynamat, but Dynaliner is a good alternative on the outside. That's what i would probably use in the tunnel for the thermal characteristics and then the dynamat xtreme on the interior of the floors and tunnel.

Comment

Working...
                X