Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing my '88 325is daily driver.

Hey Everyone !!

I just thought I would introduce myself to the 'community'. I'm relatively new to the E30 world. These cars weren't even on my radar until a friend loaned me his 318is last February. On the drive home that day, I suddenly realized what I'd been missing. So now, I have a lachssilber metallic hole to throw money into !!

When I bought this car 8 months ago, it needed just about everything. It started and ran, but it was rough and running rich. I was able to drive it home, but it needed a lot of 'Love' to become what it could be. It leaked from anywhere it could. I'm sure many of you have been there.

Getting my E30 to the point where I could rely on it as a DD was my first main goal. I had the AFM refurbished along with the cluster. All new suspension parts. I rebuilt the calipers. New bearings. I used OEM parts, mostly, and stock suspension just to get an idea of what a 325is was like originally. I chose to put the H&R sport springs because the springs that were on it were too low for my taste.

I bought this car with the intention of swapping an N52 in the future, but getting the rest of the car all dialed in first is the main focus. Later, when I introduce a new can of worms, the previous can will have been sorted for the most part. Hopefully.

When I did the engine work, I kept having to remind myself that I wasn't planning to keep the M20 long term. So I just tried to do the most for the least, if you know what I mean. I didn't go as far as to disassemble the short block, but I did clean the piston tops. I pressure washed the head after disassembly and cleaned the carbon out of the combustion chambers. I didn't replace the guides, because they 'felt' fine. I did replace the seals and lap the valves before putting it back together. I could have spent a lot more money, but.... So I just replaced all the gaskets and seals, timing belt, water pump, etc..... I had originally intended on powder coating the intake manifold, valve cover, and oil pan after they were chemically dipped, but financial woes during that time caused me to remember that I should save that money for the 24v swap in the future.

I guess I did all the 'standard stuff' along the way. Aluminum radiator, hoses, fan clutch, motor/trans mounts, 2.7 turn rack, shifter.... I have 20+ years experience as a machinist, so I made a DSSR as well, amongst other 'special tools'.

I could go on and on.... So here's some pics.

Luke

Let's see if I can get some more pictures posted.

Comment

Here's a few more...

Comment

Welcome! Nice starting point and that DSSR looks wonderful.

Plans for machining any other custom bits? Gotta put those skills to good use

Comment

Great start, i own a 88 325is as well and just picked up a 86 325 es. Welcome!!!!!!

Comment

Can see the potential for a pretty great DD there. Have you looked into the N52 swap? I’ve got myself a donor 330i and am almost ready to start the graft. Nice to see more people are up to the challenge!

Comment

Great introduction and nice work on that DSSR as well!
              1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
              1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Thanks guys. It's cool what you can learn on some E30 forums and YouTube.

Here's a couple more pics of the DSSR. I just 'reverse engineered' the shifter rod that came out of this car. One pin is shorter than the other and somewhat offset from the centerline of the shaft. I did my best to reproduce the geometry and was able to get 'exact' fits on the mating parts. The thickness of the flanges are based on the length of metric shoulder bolts. Just tighten the lock nuts and it's got just enough play so it doesn't bind. The shifter feel is awesome.

I could have bought a DSSR for around $100, but they looked kinda 'flimsy' and the welds looked amateurish. IMO. With material and time, I've got more than $100 in mine, but it's 'one of a kind' and works exactly how I wanted it to. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

I'll get some pics of the car as it sits now with the wheels and tires I decided to go with. Maybe some more pics of the engine compartment too.

Thanks for the words of welcome.

Luke

Comment

Welcome! I like your approach of getting the car sorted in it's stock form first and then moving onto new/larger projects.

Comment

Here's some recent pics.

Looking forward to adding some power down the road....

Comment

Working...
                    X