Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 318i Sedan---Greta

Hey guys,

This is my fourth e30 but first m42 car and first sedan (which i have grown to love). I've owned two late model 325i coupes and an 84 318i coupe.

A little backstory about Greta:

One day i received a phone call from one of our regular customers (family owned bar) saying "One of my friends is sick (Phillip) and has one of those cars that you like, i'm sure he'll give you a good deal on it. He just needs to get rid of it." I was skeptical at first because i've had several people tell me the same thing but usually the car is a pile of junk or a convertible (not a fan). The very next night, I went to scope out the car before i actually talked to the owner. At first site it looked a bit rough. Dented driver side fender, flat tires all around, antenna hole rusted, driver side key hole missing/rusting, and just overall dirty looking. Surprisingly, the doors were unlocked so i took a peek inside only to find out the interior looked to be in very good shape, minus the dash. I was a bit disappointed with some of the features i previously mentioned, so was still a bit skeptical about making an offer on the car. A week goes by and the car is still there. With no offers and no intentions to sell to anyone else, i figured id shoot him a low offer of $500. To my surprise the guy says he'll take it. That day, after work, i went straight over to Phillips property to talk to him about the car and why hes selling it. Phillip informed me that the fuel pump was dead so i went to the auto store and bought a battery and a can of throttle body cleaner. I plugged in the battery and everything turned on (first good sign) and then i proceeded to pull the intake boot and spray a good amount of throttle body cleaner into the boot. Turned the key and she fired right up! (good sign #2) Now i know the car runs but its going to need some work. With cash in hand Phillip was a little hesitant to let his baby go but knew it would be going to a good home. Phillip ended up passing away about 2 weeks after i bought the car from him due to stage IV cancer. Im very grateful for this car and it almost seems like having obtained this car was meant to be. Now, the proud owner of a 91 318i sedan, i didn't know where to start.

[/quote]
    sigpic

First orders of business was to replace the fuel pump and fix the fender issue so my wheels/tires could clear.

I also replaced the water pump with a unit with metal propellers instead of the OEM plastic properllers. Didnt seem to snag a photo of this. Next was to take care of the mess under the intake and replace the intake/valve cover gaskets. While removing the valve cover, 6 threads ended up stripping on me :o so i got my helicoil kit out and started replacing threads. I'm sure i'll eventually have to do this job to each threaded hole on the valve cover, but i'm only fixing what is necessary in the moment.

sigpic

Comment

Somewhat finished product for now..

GRETA

Since i have a e30 parts car, i decided to pull the rear end from it and start refreshing all the bushings and reinforcing the subframe/trailing arms.

GRETA

GRETA

GRETA
      sigpic

Comment

GRETA

Started to drill some holes for the is spoiler:

GRETA
        sigpic

Comment

GRETA

GRETA

GRETA

GRETA
          sigpic

Comment

With a name like Greta I was expecting an electric motor conversion with solar panels on the roof.

Comment

Nice progress so far. The M42 is a fun engine with the right mindset (I love mine).

Comment

Totally saw this car in the driveway from the first pics, over in Burlingame. Good to see its in good hands! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
                1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
                1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
                1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
                1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
                1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
                Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
                1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
                1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
                  Totally saw this car in the driveway from the first pics, over in Burlingame. Good to see its in good hands! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Funny! Someone left a note on this car asking about it, i'm assuming it was you? The car was literally around the corner collecting dust before i bought it. I was able to push it into my driveway.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                    Nice progress so far. The M42 is a fun engine with the right mindset (I love mine).
                    Thanks! I'm loving the m42 so far. Coming from a cammed m20, the m42 has been impressive to say the least.
                    sigpic

Comment

cleaned up the carpet and decided to dye it black. i used "Rit" black dye for the carpets and it came out great. Not tacky to the touch like most dyes are in aerosol cans Took about 6hours of shampooing and dying. Shampooed the carpet really well first then used a spray bottle to apply the dye to the carpets and also used a soft bristle brush to get into the fibers of the carpet. After applying the dye i shampooed the excess dye and continued that process until i accomplished my desired look. took a few days to dry.

​​​​​​Untitled by chris kallas, on Flickr

Untitled by chris kallas, on Flickr

sigpic

Comment

Finally getting around to posting more photos. Greta has come a long way since last year but still has a long way to go. Hope you guys enjoy the pics

Some new foam for the driver seat. All put together. DIY seat set from John at Ninestitch. I made my own shift/ebrake boot. The handbrake boot needs a re-do.

sigpic

Comment

i was chasing my tail trying to find out why my rear passenger window wasn't getting any power. After reading thru some of the wiring schematics, i found the culprit in the b-pillar. Some of the wires were pinched/broken from being all kinked between the door jam. While i was at it, i installed some e36 window switches.

sigpic

Comment

As a wedding gift to myself, i decided to get the car painted. I was also just tired of that eye sore of a drivers side fender lol.

Off to the body shop she goes.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X