Bringing my (new to me) '89 325i back on the road after a long break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bringing my (new to me) '89 325i back on the road after a long break

Hey everyone, first time poster here. Been reading up and following threads for a while, very appreciative of all the knowledge shared here.

My buddy in CA called me in the late spring of this year and said he had a line on a car I might be interested in. I had a '67 1600-2 until very recently, and was looking to get into an e30 or an e28, something a bit more modern that I could take on longer trips, but was still light and handled well. I also don't mind getting my hands dirty. The backstory is that my friend's boss bought this 325i in '94 in AZ from the original owner, drove it regularly for years (it has 235k on the odo), let it go to his ex wife in the divorce, and she gave it back to him a few years ago because she was no longer using it. He has a bunch of cars, so it had just been sitting for years, and apparently there was some less than amazing work done by the ex's new guy. My buddy's boss started up and moved it around occasionally, but that's about it. Last reg sticker on the CA plates is from 2014. Tires date to 2013.

My friend sent some pics and I was like holy &#@! No rust! And it runs! He sent over several more pics and we did a facetime walkaround video and I was sold. Granted, it is an automatic, but in the midwest, if you see something this old with no rust, doing a 5-speed swap is a walk in the park compared to what our native e30s look like, if you even see them at all. I had it shipped from the Oakland area to Chicago and the car arrived in early July, but I had a few other projects on deck, so progress was slow, but still steady.

As far as I knew, the timing belt was from 2011 when the top end was redone, so I took care of that and the tensioner, water pump, t-stat, hoses, drive belts, etc. Also did basic tune-up stuff, plugs, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter.
    Once I could finally drive her (yeah, all this stuff and had only driven her about 2 miles from where the shipper wanted to meet), I was hooked. I had been in a few e30s years ago, but never drove one. I get it now.

There were a few problems that caught my attention right away, though. The brakes were not good, weak and pulling hard to the left under braking, and the steering wasn't re-centering after making a turn. Yay.
    Enough rambling for now, though. Here are a couple of pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3079.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	9958547

Name:	IMG_3080.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	9958546
    Attached Files

nice score. sent from hell using Tapatalk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '90 325i sedan daily driven
    '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Looks good! Any other plans besides the 5 speed swap?
      sigpic84 325e

Comment

Originally posted by 808ETA View Post
        Looks good! Any other plans besides the 5 speed swap?
        Thanks! Shocks/struts/springs are on the list, and I'd like to get a set of 15" Euroweave wheels on her. The tires on the bottle caps are not really safe for highway driving anymore. Been looking at these but can't find any reviews. Price is right, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Haywire View Post

Thanks! Shocks/struts/springs are on the list, and I'd like to get a set of 15" Euroweave wheels on her. The tires on the bottle caps are not really safe for highway driving anymore. Been looking at these but can't find any reviews. Price is right, though.

https://www.classiceuroparts.com/pro...tyle-5-wheels/
          Nice! I have a set of Euroweaves on my car. The price for those are right.
          sigpic84 325e

Comment

It's been a while since I've posted, need to get better about that.
            The manual swap is complete and I ended up getting half the summer and fall to enjoy it.
            I didn't end up doing it myself, had too many projects underway and Ben at B&D was able to fit it in. I swear I'll do the next swap myself, lol. I did gather all the parts, so that's something I guess.

Comment

I also got around to replacing the busted up headlights. I ended up going with the Depo units, which seem pretty nice for the price, though the adjusters don't turn very easily
              and it was a pain to get them aligned. And yes, I realize I have one Euro grill and one US grill, lol.

Despite all the cracked or missing lenses, all the bulbs still worked. I'm kind of impressed.

Name:	IMG_2212.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	10044809 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2211.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	10044810 Click image for larger version

Name:	64659811364__7D59DF11-C767-4B60-8C28-30B7D3B1C1FD.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	72.7 KB