$1000 Sedan - Turbo Build - SOLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Northern View Post
    I've thought about a tablet digital dash, but I'm not sure how bad the lag is these days.
    I tried years ago on a galaxy tab 2 but the data refresh rate was like 2-3Hz and seemed to be the same across shadowdash and some other competitor that I forget (Realdash or something?).
    I'm running a tablet in my Miata as supplemental gauges.
    It actually runs a full version of Windows 10 and I have TunerStudio installed.
    So not only can I see the virtual dashboard, but also make tune changes. And there is no lag that I can see by eye.

I wouldn't recommend my specific tablet as it seems I can only connect to the ECU via USB or charge the tablet, but not both at the same time from the same port. But it did only cost me $150cad so I can't really complain.

Comment

The tablet has been working great for me. It's connected directly to USB and I do not notice any lag. The speedometer is based off the tablets GPS so that has a bit of lag but it's really accurate.

Yesterday I decided to take the car to a meet in Scottsdale. It was at Fourtillfour and the theme was "fast cars" so I parked in a different lot. The car drove great the entire 40 mile trip but when I parked I saw smoke at the hood, uh-oh. I opened it to take a peek and saw coolant everywhere. I scanned the bay for a minute but didn't find anything obvious but I was definitely going to need a tow. After getting a cold brew at the meet I went back and called AAA for a tow. It was about an hour wait so I went about my business to check out the car meet. A lot of Ferrari, Porsche, and McLaren. I prefer classic meets but always cool to get to see these cars up close.

More pics at my IG @hectorshoots

Tow truck driver was super cool and loaded the E30 solo quickly even after I offered to help. It's crucial to have AAA when owning an E30.

Once I got the car in the garage I wanted to see what went wrong. I had over 200 miles on the car in the last month and it's been solid aside from the fuel pump. Upon closer inspection I noticed a bunch of black rubber around the thermostat housing area. I felt around the radiator hoses by the fan and sure enough one was making enough contact to make a small hole over time. So I just have to replace the hose and refill the coolant. At least it's an easy fix.

The reason that happened was because my engine hoist mount on the timing cover is bent and that was pushing the hose forward toward the fan. I will be replacing the bent piece and securing the hose further back.
      1987 325 Turbo

Comment

The AAA post is too true. I've used mine a lot over the years, it's the best investment you can have for any car IMO.

I missed that you moved semi-local.

Definitely join the local FB groups if you are on there: http://www.aze30s.com/

It's already too hot, but come fall/winter hoping to have a lot of us have our cars running to do things, even if it's just to have a lot of E30s at Fourtillfour.
        Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

I'm in Phoenix building my turbo too. I went to 4till4 once and saw 1 other e30, will be nice when we can get a large group.

iso_hi are you running a BOV? I didn't see it in the thread or any pictures. Just curious because I'm trying to figure out where to mount it & the IAT sensor for a clean look. Also wondered if there was a premade charge pipe with the fittings so I don't have to find an aluminum welder. My muffler shop won't do it :(
          '90 325is

Comment

Good to see there are more still active on here locally than I thought. Yeah, the most I've seen there I think is 3, but that was years ago. We need to change that.

I'd also like to get some casual drives and what not going when my car runs and it's cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoffbrohaus View Post
              I'm in Phoenix building my turbo too. I went to 4till4 once and saw 1 other e30, will be nice when we can get a large group.

iso_hi are you running a BOV? I didn't see it in the thread or any pictures. Just curious because I'm trying to figure out where to mount it & the IAT sensor for a clean look. Also wondered if there was a premade charge pipe with the fittings so I don't have to find an aluminum welder. My muffler shop won't do it :(
              For my IAT sensor I bought this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/265824319186

I am not running a BOV yet but am choosing one at the moment. I need to replace a couple of straight pieces of pipe as well where I think I'm getting a boost leak.

I got the radiator hose last week but haven't had the motivation to clean up the engine bay and swap it. The old one is removed already I just have to install and fill with coolant. But garage is hot and it's hot outside so probably won't be driving the car anytime soon.
              1987 325 Turbo

Comment

So I got the car running again last week and secured the hose so it wouldn't happen again.

I'm kind of thinking of driving it to the E30 picnic...
                1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by iso_hi View Post
                  So I got the car running again last week and secured the hose so it wouldn't happen again.

I'm kind of thinking of driving it to the E30 picnic...
                  Would be sick to see this build at the picnic! I think this year is going to be good... Reach out if you do end up going!

Comment

Ended up bailing on the picnic last minute, one of my pups wasn't looking too good the week before and I'm glad I stayed home and got to spend time with him before we put him down. That sucked.

The E30 has just been sitting in the garage. It's way too hot to drive without AC, it's been over 110 for a couple of weeks now here in Arizona. I did buy a battery maintainer though, just kind of funny to think I "put my car away for the summer."

I'm planning on getting an iS or other type of spoiler to complete the "iS" part of my build and then I can move on to completing the missing body trim pieces and decide on paint. I'm pretty sure I have a boost leak also on a couple of my intercooler pipes that are beaded. Is it difficult to do on my own?
                    1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Last weekend we got a slight break from the heat thanks to the storm passing the west coast. The high for Saturday was 91 degrees which is lovely after a couple of months of 105-110 temps. I decided to give the car meet in Scottsdale another shot, last time I went my fan ripped a coolant hose but that's all fixed now. I still have to replace my turbo drain flange as I'm still getting a decent leak but it's been too hot in my garage.

The e30 made the 40 mile drive to Scottsdale with no issues. The event was Shakedown: Vintage Euro and JDM at Fourtillfour coffee shop.

Mine is definitely the best in this lineup

Detail shot of this decent car

It's a vibe

Couple more beaters

More pics at my IG @hectorshoots

I actually have an appointment to get my R12 filled soon. So I'll probably try to daily this thing after.
                      1987 325 Turbo

Comment

So big change of plans. I'll probably be moving to a bigger city soon where I won't need a car so unfortunately I'll be looking to get rid of the turbo e30. If anyone is interested please let me know. I'm looking to get around 8.5k but will be willing to negotiate with a fellow r3v member.
                        1987 325 Turbo

Comment

So big change of plans. I'll probably be moving to a bigger city soon where I won't need a car so unfortunately I'll be looking to get rid of the turbo e30. If anyone is interested please let me know. I'm looking to get around 8.5k but will be willing to negotiate with a fellow r3v member.
                          Where ya moving to? Just gave you a follow on instagram. I've been too busy to get out to and cars and coffee things as of late, but I wish you success man.

I'd list your car on all of the normal places, including e30 groups. Including this one: https://www.facebook.com/groups/aze30

Comment

Thank you man. And thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and project. I will be back with my 7th E30 eventually.

I will be moving back to San Francisco. Arizona just wasn't for me, or maybe I just moved to the wrong town. I'm definitely more of a city person. I will miss the garage tho.

I found a buyer yesterday and he has put a deposit. I will let you guys know the price after it sells.
                            1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Thank you man. And thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and project. I will be back with my 7th E30 eventually.

I will be moving back to San Francisco. Arizona just wasn't for me, or maybe I just moved to the wrong town. I'm definitely more of a city person. I will miss the garage tho.

I found a buyer yesterday and he has put a deposit. I will let you guys know the price after it sells.
                              I'm a native Phoenician, I've seen it grow here exponentially. IMO, downtown PHX rivals other places as far as culture and things to do, but it isn't San Francisco as far as size (yet) which IMO is a good thing, but you gotta do what makes you happy.

One thing I can say, is you'll enjoy your summers back in San Fran, more than here. People usually come back to E30s, so "see" ya at some point in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post

I'm a native Phoenician, I've seen it grow here exponentially. IMO, downtown PHX rivals other places as far as culture and things to do, but it isn't San Francisco as far as size (yet) which IMO is a good thing, but you gotta do what makes you happy.

One thing I can say, is you'll enjoy your summers back in San Fran, more than here. People usually come back to E30s, so "see" ya at some point in the future.
                                I was living in Casa Grande lol, I was driving to Chandler and Phoenix almost every weekend to go to Trader Joe's/Costco/Target or to have fun because there's nothing in that town. I'm sure if I would have moved to the metro area I would have been able to tolerate it because I do like Phoenix. And I was working at Lucid Motors which is a complete shit show, I seriously doubt they will make it management is so bad. It's basically a group of friends that used to work at Tesla that just promote each other. They were scheduled to move into their Phase 2 factory in April of this year but it's been pushed back to next year.

I'm sure I'll be back to visit and I'll definitely be back in an E30.
                                1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Working...
                                X