Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1mz View Post
    haha whoops - thanks for that :oops:
    lol it is a "work in progress" after all!

:)
    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

gotcha. ;)

So, it's been a long a$$ time since I last updated anything on here, been too busy with school and other commitments to really make any progress up until last week. Since I invested a large chunk of my last summers disposable salary into this project, I've been pretty motivated to get it running - anyways... how about some pics? since I've been a phantom-project-text-only-thread-whore for too long now anyways :p --- for the photo-junkies, I apologize on the over-exposed shots taken with the wrong iso, my hands are generally covered in sh*t when I'm at the shop so I don't like messing around with my slr :)

The car was sitting in the gravel next to our shop for about 4 - 4 and a half months now. If you've been under a rock for the entirety of 2010, you might not have heard that we had one jack-frost-diesel-mof*ckin snow storm after the other rack us for about 45 days. When I got to the shop last monday to start work I noticed that my car had accumulated a large number of small pebbles, rocks, and other crap that would have been otherwise alarming if I gave two shits about the finish (gonna rat rod it until it runs/rides the way I want then spray it with a fresh coat of schwartz one day :) ) This was due to the new huge snowblower that my boss got - apparently this thing was flinging solid chunks of ice the size of bricks thirty yards.

Day 1 as well - first things first - prepare the bay. E36 rack swap, change the booster, and the e34 throttle cable

e30 rack vs e36

stock 318i booster out, rack out, - what I didn't get was a picture of me going to town with the die grinder on the firewall:nice:

Ended up using flat washers as spacers for the rack haha

I didn't quite get enough metal off the first pass with the grinder, and light was fading so when it cleared without interference I called it a day. I'm going to finangle the boot a little (probably cut it) and get it in there before the car is rolling.

End of monday - pretty productive.

Tuesday and Wednesday brought on the first wave of frustration (in the past 2 weeks) I couldn't find my flywheel bolts - this swap has been planning nightmare. My pile of crap for my 2 m50s sat in the corner of the garage (below)

So, I spent a good part of Tuesday tracking down somewhere to order parts from. Turns out Mid-Atlantic Motorwerkes (they have a few badass track-tubbed e36's and VW's) was able to overnight them for me. Wednesday morning, I went eagerly over to pick up my new bolts. I got to the shop, was there for 20 minutes and realized my critical mistake - I had forgotten to tell the parts manager that I was using the single mass flywheel from the m20.... Called the guy back up, and was told that they would be there the following morning. I even thought ahead and had him find the other 2 bolts I needed for my tranny bellhousing.

The rest of Tuesday I occupied myself by tearing apart the dash and swapping out the old coding plug. It made me appreciate the ease with which I can take apart my 'yota - not afraid of snapping old plastic pieces with that.

the new coding plug in

Wednesday I got the bolts and put the flywheel on - but then realized I had the wrong clutch alignment tool. So my project sat like that for the weekend while I vacationed to Richmond to see some friends at VCU - then today, more progress.

Got a universal alignment tool, got the tranny on and makin moves

almost, almost, almost....

And here is where the next wave of frustration begins - thats about where it sits right now... Im thinking that I might have the wrong mounts now... I have the e28 mounts (I ordered them months ago though so I don't know exactly which model anymore)

Here are some pictures of what I have - is this right?

passengers side motor mount, its on but the other arm is off by like 1 1/4 inches or something..

also thought I remembered reading on a build thread that washers or a spacer was needed, so thats why those are there...

soon, very soon
      Last edited by 1mz; 03-15-2010, 07:25 PM.
      http://l0st0n3.mybrute.com
      http://l0st-0n3.mybrute.com
      Work in progress: 1991 318i m50 swap

Feedback thread :up:

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy
      I prefer having a female in the car at all times. They generally smell good, but you do have to put up with that hole in their face.

Comment

That doesn't really look safe...mounts are correct though.

Comment

its just a mock up - nothing has been tightened yet. Is there not supposed to be a spacer there?

I prefer having a female in the car at all times. They generally smell good, but you do have to put up with that hole in their face.

Comment

its just a mock up - nothing has been tightened yet. Is there not supposed to be a spacer there?
            i don't want to spread any misinformation here, so i'd much rather wait for someone with some experience.

when i saw that i just didn't think it was right. i have the same exact mounts and didn't need a spacer. i'm using the treehouse booster, not sure if that will change much in this scenario though.

Comment

ahh - well I didn't have money for a fancy-schmancy treehouse booster ;) - thanks for the insight man, much appreciated. I'll try and fit it tomorrow without the stupid washers and see what happens

Comment

From my experience there's about a 1mm difference between the green mount and black mount (could be wrong, which most likely I am). I usually use the mounts with no spacers below. Maximum spacers I'd run would be about two metal spacers/washer on each side. You'll need maybe two on the top side as well to be able to tighten down the motor mounts as the un-threaded portion of the bolt is about 1/4 of the bolts length.

SINdelle:E36 M3 5-Lug | 17x8 & 17x9 BBS RS | S52/ZF | 2.93LSD/3.5HFM/24lb Injectors/C&S Chip[B]SOLD[B]

Comment

ahh - well I didn't have money for a fancy-schmancy treehouse booster ;) - thanks for the insight man, much appreciated. I'll try and fit it tomorrow without the stupid washers and see what happens
                  LOL fancy-schmancy...I would have used the iX booster had I not run out of patience.

Comment

Originally posted by jahnaboi View Post
                    From my experience there's about a 1mm difference between the green mount and black mount (could be wrong, which most likely I am). I usually use the mounts with no spacers below. Maximum spacers I'd run would be about two metal spacers/washer on each side. You'll need maybe two on the top side as well to be able to tighten down the motor mounts as the un-threaded portion of the bolt is about 1/4 of the bolts length.
                    wicked - thanks. Is it easier to bolt the motor mounts to the arms before its in, or should I lower the motor onto the mounts?

Comment

Since the bolt on the top is considerably longer, bolt the motor mount to the arm. It will take more clearance to have the motor sit on the mounts if you were to bolt it up to the subframe first.

SINdelle:E36 M3 5-Lug | 17x8 & 17x9 BBS RS | S52/ZF | 2.93LSD/3.5HFM/24lb Injectors/C&S Chip[B]SOLD[B]

Comment

Originally posted by jahnaboi View Post
                        Since the bolt on the top is considerably longer, bolt the motor mount to the arm. It will take more clearance to have the motor sit on the mounts if you were to bolt it up to the subframe first.
                        I think the next time I get under there, I will dremel them to make em shorter!

Comment

Its in. :) My shitty ebay raceland headers were the issue - terrible fitment on the rear, they were hitting the firewall. Fortunately my boss can weld/bend well so I'm gonna have him have a day with it and get them fitted right. Tomorrow I'm working on some of the wiring and plumbing etc, but I also have to prepare my DD for an auto-x event this weekend so I won't be able to get too much done. moar pix soon 8)

Comment

Nice!!!

Comment

God you fucking noob.

Hi Steve :D
                              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                              This is the internet. Just make something up.

Comment

Originally posted by 5spoke View Post
                                God you fucking noob.

Hi Steve :D
                                haha what up man? Hows the cabbie?

Comment

Working...
                                X