Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325i track project ...kinda slow updates sometimes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for the pics and its good to know about the front and the fenders
    ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Great project! I see your oem tank was removed, did you replace it with a fuel cell or?

Curious if you didn't, and were you able to re-install oem tank with the subframe installed.
      Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
        Great project! I see your oem tank was removed, did you replace it with a fuel cell or?

Curious if you didn't, and were you able to re-install oem tank with the subframe installed.
        I replaced oem tank with a 12gal drag race fuel cell from Jaz, not ideal for my purpose but happened to have laying around.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	jaz.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	7114432

Now a little break from cars and onto celebrating midsummer :up::drink:
        sigpic

Comment

Small updates: Suspension mods are now installed and so are the new Toyo R888 tires with some old 15" wheels I had from earlier stages of the car.

Name:	tires.jpg
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	7114544

Took it for a very short spin around the garage and it felt absolutely great! Initial thoughts that it could be couple of seconds faster per lap than used to be ...happy with that! :D

I have the next monday off, so planning to put a day off in a good use and head to the track to see if it really is faster than a month ago
          sigpic

Comment

Short video of a lap around Ahvenisto race track with my project. At this stage only suspension mod was lowering springs. Tires are 205/45R16 Hankook K104´s.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by t1502 View Post
              Short video of a lap around Ahvenisto race track with my project. At this stage only suspension mod was lowering springs. Tires are 205/45R16 Hankook K104´s.
              Awesome vid man. Car sounds fantastic! Keep it up brother!

----------------------------------------------
              DAMN IM JEALOUS!!!

Comment

Thanks, nice to hear someone else besides me likes the sound of M20 when pushed around the track :D

Last pic before going to the track in the morning.

Name:	IMG_7423.jpg
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	7114553

Tomorrow morning 8am heading to Ahvenisto to get some new video with faster laptimes hopefully...
                sigpic

Comment

that's hot
                  My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Here is the latest short video from mondays track session. I was able to whip 4 seconds off my previous lap record it being 1:38,9 and now it's 1:34,9 :D

The lap on the video is about 1:35.

Suspension was modified -> stiffer and lower and tires were changed to Toyo R888 225/45R15. Ran into some issues also that have to be dealt with before next track session... temperature outside was 27degrees celsius(81F) and I was clearly having trouble with cooling. Temp gauge was knocking 240F so I had to back off after 3 fast laps to cool it down.

Also my right rear tire (is this even possible to get so different traction left or right?) doesn't seem to get the traction it needs on couple of the corners, rear end feels a bit lively all around or bouncy would be more accurate. Have to think about options for these over night...
                    sigpic

Comment

Hopefully got the cooling issue sorted now. Ni*san electric fan that I had mounted in front of the radiator got kicked from this project and a Spal unit found it's way to the enginebay.
                      While the radiator was off, I flushed the system. No surprises there, everything that came out was clear as it should be :)

Also installed the air intake tube that I had to eliminate earlier to make room for the Ni*san electric fan infront of the radiator.

Name:	funnel.jpg
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	7114613

Design sure is different, hopefully cooling power also...

Name:	PICT5688.jpg
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	7114610

Still got 18mm cleareance :D

Name:	PICT5689.jpg
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	7114611

Enginebay in it's current state. Lots of things to do... :???:

Name:	PICT5691.jpg
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	7114612
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by t1502 View Post
                        Also installed the air intake tube that I had to eliminate earlier to make room for the Ni*san electric fan infront of the radiator.
                        [ATTACH]20661[/ATTACH]
                        I just picked up one of these from the junk yard. I was thinking of fabbing something like this up out of aluminum, but this was free and looks like it will work well!
                        My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                          I just picked up one of these from the junk yard. I was thinking of fabbing something like this up out of aluminum, but this was free and looks like it will work well!
                          If you make one out of aluminum, please post some pics. Interested in seeing how it turns out.

My plan was making one out of glassfiber, but that has to be later project. Weight savings compared to orginal plastic one is next to nothing, the plastic thingy doesn't weigh a thing... But hey, it's nice to do something just for the fun of it, right? :D
                          sigpic

Comment

Went to the track yesterday and got to finally test the changes that I made to the cooling system. It works!!! Temp used to rise after a couple laps to 240F and now it didn't go past 210F even after 12 laps! :D

Got some other things done too. I'll post a few pics of these doings...

Painted the trunk lid...

Name:	IMG_7556.jpg
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	7115115

...these little grilles...

Name:	IMG_7557.jpg
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	7115116

and the door mirrors.

Name:	IMG_7558.jpg
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	7115117

Couldn't get a good picture where you could clearly see the paint finish, but though it's fine for my project, I can tell you it's far from perfect.
                            sigpic

Comment

The brakes got some help cooling when I modded the original backing plates and installed ducting to them.

Name:	IMG_7738.jpg
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	7115118

Name:	IMG_7740.jpg
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	7115119

Name:	IMG_8262.jpg
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	7115120

Name:	IMG_8263.jpg
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	7115121

Name:	IMG_8270.jpg
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	7115122
                              sigpic

Comment

Also air filter got some help getting cool air from outside instead of hot enginebay air...

Name:	IMG_8268.jpg
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	7115123
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X