Clear All

:up:
    sigpic

1991 318i Sedan Project

Comment

I like!!!
      BMWCCA #389756

Comment

So what did you end up using for the rear valance?

Comment

Originally posted by e30this View Post
          So what did you end up using for the rear valance?
          I had to scrape out the latex and butyl rubber... and used an acrylic urethane filler and it worked great. Got it at Lowes for around 6 bucks.

1988 325iC Project - FINISHED!
          Build Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ht=325iC+paint

Comment

So did you spray the car yet?

Comment

no haven't painted, it was 92 yesterday and 94 today and close to 100% humidity, so I think I'll take a half day vacation tomorrow. Plus had to be on the lake :)

That sealer primer is incredible stuff... the car looks and feels like it got "dipped" or overmolded or something. My wife says it looks like a clay car. It really seals everything in and will be a great base for the color.
              Last edited by bimmerboy12; 08-16-2009, 08:41 AM.

Comment

I just talked to a guy at the paint shop yesterday. He said you have a 7 day window from the time you spray the sealer till the time you lay your paint or you need to sand and spray more sealer before you lay your paint. The whole point of the sealer is to hide all of the prior work you did and seal it all up so it wont rust or bleed through. Said if you sand the sealer and you break through you need to spray that sport before laying color.

Just trying to offer up what I learn yesterday. You might have already known..

Comment

Originally posted by e30this View Post
                  I just talked to a guy at the paint shop yesterday. He said you have a 7 day window from the time you spray the sealer till the time you lay your paint or you need to sand and spray more sealer before you lay your paint. The whole point of the sealer is to hide all of the prior work you did and seal it all up so it wont rust or bleed through. Said if you sand the sealer and you break through you need to spray that sport before laying color.

Just trying to offer up what I learn yesterday. You might have already known..
                  No i wasn't aware of that. Thats great information, thanks! I better get on this then... The bad part is its supposed to be mid-80s and really humid for the next 5 days. I don't know how much that will affect it but I guess we'll see.

Comment

Leaving work in 1/2 hour to wetsand 400 and spray... wish me luck

Comment

OK Im done for tonight, took 4 hours just to wetsand and get set up. Put on three coats of base and was pretty cashed out. I used almost a whole gallon... need to buy more tomorrow, put on another drop coat, then clear after a flash dry. Looks like another half day of vacation for me.

Here's the only pic I have, had my wife click it for me. Fake spraying :)

Comment

No gravity feed gun?...looks good though, my wife would have refused due to fumes regardless of the mask that you put on her...LOL
                        BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Originally posted by oekundar View Post
                          No gravity feed gun?...looks good though, my wife would have refused due to fumes regardless of the mask that you put on her...LOL
                          yeah its an old siphon feed. Works pretty good though. TIP: when using siphon feed guns, spray away from the car for a second after spraying sideways. You get air in the feed then it splatters, and it sucks.

Yeah she didn't even step into the garage, she held the camera out the door through my sheet curtain barrier and snapped away.
                          Last edited by bimmerboy12; 11-04-2009, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Spent 9 hours painting and clearcoating yesterday... and the results?

AMAZING. This isn't a car painting; its a restoration. Better than original. It really is breath taking. Took some cell phone pics.. better ones later.

...And a thumbs up in the reflection of the hood! :up:

Have to let it cure for at least 48 hours, then on to 1500 grit wetsand and polish glaze with variable speed orbital buffer...
                            Last edited by bimmerboy12; 08-20-2009, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Looks good. Now you have a red garage floor.
                              sigpic
                              1990 E30 325ic (sold for more than I paid for it after 5 Years)
                              1995 E30 325e (in progress)
                              1987 E30 325is (totaled)
                              1990 E30 325i
                              1991 E30 318is M50 PWR
                              1996 E36 328ic
                              1997 Z3
                              2006 F150 Super Crew 5.4L 6.5' bed The work horse (need something to drag all these old BMW's home for resurrection.)

Comment

Looks good, hope you're able to get some of that peel off from the hood.
                                BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Working...
                                X