No announcement yet.

Old Blue 2002 (1974 BMW 2002 Content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished taking my head apart today. Just can not get the spark plugs out! I can not find the right sized socket. I think I need a 20mm or 21mm thin wall. I do not think the spark plugs are the same size as most in m20's are.
    I used a Lisle valve spring retainer tool. They are so bad ass! Took me all of 5 minutes to take my valves out. Just place the tool on the valve retainer, give it a firm tap with a 5# hammer and bobs your uncle.

Exhaust valve

Intake valve

Lisle tool (truly god like!) it is magnetic to ketch all your parts.
    This is the removal end

Installation end.

And the motor as of now.

Money is low right now. I need to pay off what I have built up on my credit card in car parts. I had a few days off for Easter, and before that I had a sick day, which really ate into my last pay check as well. :(
    Progress will continue to be slow for a while till about the end of May.
    sigpic
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Maybe you listed this but I was wondering if you were running the g260 stock 325i tranny and what driveshaft were you going to run? Also, what diff? Just curious since I'm thinking of doing a 2002 project and checking out my options.

Thanks!
      world renown Harry Potter expert
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
        Maybe you listed this but I was wondering if you were running the g260 stock 325i tranny and what driveshaft were you going to run? Also, what diff? Just curious since I'm thinking of doing a 2002 project and checking out my options.

Thanks!
        I am not running the g260 because it will most likely require me to fabricate a new ruble to fit it in. I could do that but don't have the time. I am using a g240 5 speed from a 318is. I am not quite sure why throw out baring, and so on, to use but I just went ahead and bout the clutch kit for the g260. I herd I need a e21 throw out baring, but I think the one I have will work.
        The stock e30 drive shaft will fit with a stock 2002 diff, plus I can use the LSD pumpkin from a e30 diff in my 2002 diff to make it limited slip.
        I will have more detailed information when I actualy put these things together.
        sigpic
        "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Yes! If I was closer to you I would offer to help you but I'm a good hundred miles away and stuck in school everyday.
          world renown Harry Potter expert
          sigpic

Comment

i am going to need some help. four hands and two brains are always better then just what i have to offer. 2 hands and half a brain. lol
            i know a few people around here who have offered to help, and there will be free beer for people that come by. maybe even some food.
            your not that far away, and i will be doing most of the hard work during the middle of summer. if you want to take a day or two and see the city come down and chill for a bit.
            sigpic

Comment

Well I have been reading a lot about head work and watching a lot of youtube videos about doing "simple" head work. I am going to try and do some of the head work by my self.
              I just want to polish my exhaust ports, and my chambers. Leave the rest alone. All the valves, guides, and valve seats still look really good.
              Wish me luck!

The articles here are very informative on DIY head work and have lots of very good pictures.

Check out "Porting heads for performance: step by step Head porting example, part 1 | part 2" in the "Porting" subsection at the bottom of the page as well!
              There is also a good bit on valve work here.
              Last edited by deutschman; 04-27-2011, 04:28 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
                i am going to need some help. four hands and two brains are always better then just what i have to offer. 2 hands and half a brain. lol
                i know a few people around here who have offered to help, and there will be free beer for people that come by. maybe even some food.
                your not that far away, and i will be doing most of the hard work during the middle of summer. if you want to take a day or two and see the city come down and chill for a bit.

Id be happy to help! I have some family in the city as well so I could probably make a couple weekends out of it. When do you plan on dropping the engine in? I think id be able to give some good tips and a helping hand with your swap.

Comment

Originally posted by pizzaman View Post
                  Id be happy to help! I have some family in the city as well so I could probably make a couple weekends out of it. When do you plan on dropping the engine in? I think id be able to give some good tips and a helping hand with your swap.
                  That would be super! lol
                  I am planning on mid summer some time. If all goes well. Almost have everything I need. Still need exhaust parts, and random hoses, and drive line parts.
                  Ill let you know.
                  sigpic

Comment

I used a 5/8 socket for my S plugs, on m50, and my m42

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-B View Post
                      I used a 5/8 socket for my S plugs, on m50, and my m42
                      5/8 was a no go. weird, so i took my head into the tool shop and found out a 21mm deep socket was the tool to use.
                      sigpic

Comment

Making a phone call to Tim at Morgan's Machine Shop to see how much a 3 angle valve job and head resurfacing will be. I'm thinking a 30,45,70. I read a thread on e30tech where a guy did a few different angle jobs and he said that that combination works the best for the m20 head.
                        sigpic

Comment

Looking good man! Thanks for coming on that drive the other night!
                          Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                          A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Sure thing. I forgot to tape up the holes in my pedal box though, and by the time I got back to SF I was about to throw up. Fucking smoky m10! I can not wait for the m20 to go in!
                            sigpic

Comment

Picked my g240 up at the Swap and Show today. Happy with it. Spins freely and no play in the shaft.

Also got this

And this

And got a lead on a LSD pumpkin from a small case e30 diff for my 2002 diff.
                              I also won a free 4 wheel alignment at the show raffle.
                              Good day!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Love the progress man! Keep it up. My bro got a '76 not to long ago. He's loving the hell out of it!...watching this thread religously and love your hard work. Great!
                                -Pierre
                                1987 535is
                                1988 325is

Comment

Working...
                                X