No announcement yet.

Old Blue 2002 (1974 BMW 2002 Content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks! I had a '76 before. It is to bad that he will have to do smog in Cali. It will be a lot easier to pass smog if he changes over to fuel injection.
    sigpic
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
      Sure thing. I forgot to tape up the holes in my pedal box though, and by the time I got back to SF I was about to throw up. Fucking smoky m10! I can not wait for the m20 to go in!
      Hit me up this week, I'll have time to come up with a solution :)
      Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
      A Topless Memorandum

Comment

If we make a aluminum cover for the pedal box we can put rubber seals on the slits for the pedals!
        sigpic
        "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Got a bit of work done today. Started polishing my chambers today. It is FUCKING amazing how quickly you can go threw Dremel bits!!!!! At $3-4 a piece you fly threw cash fast!
          I also know why people pay to get head work done. It takes a lot of time and nerves. If you have the money, pay some one ells to do it!
          Old chamber.

Polished Chamber.

It is not perfect, but I am really happy with the results right now. Definitely an improvement on the original.
          I have 2 done, 4 to go. Dremel will be making money off of me :?
          sigpic

Comment

anyone that ports for a living wouldnt touch a dremel tool, Its like bringing a knife to a gunfight. How much compression do you think you just ground away? They look shiny!
            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
              anyone that ports for a living wouldnt touch a dremel tool, Its like bringing a knife to a gunfight. How much compression do you think you just ground away? They look shiny!
              Yeah I agree. How ever trying things is the best way to learn. It may be expensive, but it works. If I fuck this head up beyond repare I will walk away with a lot of knowledge I did not have before. At least I have the balls to try things my self.
              I was wondering the same thing about compression. :-?
              It cant be much though. I did not take much off, and the surface area I covered was minimal.
              I have done a good amount of reading on DIY head work, and there are a lot of people that do this stuff at home. I think as long as I don't go ape shit removing a lot of metal I will be fine.
              I am hoping that polishing the chambers will keep them cleaner, and help with hot spots and detonation. I can run more timing as well.
              And yes I had a spare set of valves in while doing the work.
              I have the Dremel 4000 which is the largest one they make, and I have to say the thing rips threw metal.
              I am going to get a 3 angle valve job, and polish the exhaust ports as well.
              Last edited by deutschman; 05-23-2011, 08:15 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

I ordered new stainless steel valves and new valve springs today. No point in getting a 3 angle valve job if the valves are old and nasty.
                I also thought of something as fare as the compression goes. When I bring the head in for work I am having it resurfaced which will compensate for the materiel I took out of the chambers.
                sigpic

Comment

You may also be able to get a thinner MLS headgasket to restore/boost compression.
                  Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Yeah I thought of that as well. Thanks for the input. I always have so much shit going on in my head at ones when I think about this car - trans, oil cooling, radiator, diff - that I often get lost in my own thoughts. It always helps to have some one point things like that out.
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks! Ill look you up on R3V.
                      Yeah. I looked it up some more. I think I will go with a glass pack Borla combo. I like the sound of Borla exhausts.
                      Now for some updates. I got the rest of my chambers did up today ;)
                      1. Original

2. Grinding stone

3. Sanding wheel

4. Hand sand 220, high and medium abrasive buffing wheels

^
                      Those are not the valves I am using ;)

Finished product. Might need some buffing compound.

I also did one of the exhaust ports today. Ill do the rest tomorrow. Not sure if this one is quite done yet. You can always see my learning curve from one side of the head to the other. I always find my self going back over my work to equal it out.

Updated work space picture

My good friend Olek (polish sheep dog) and my new work boots!
                      sigpic

Comment

Since you are enlarging your exhaust ports let me recommend you buy some cheapo telescoping bore gauges. They make it SO much easier to verify how much you have enlarged your runner and if you enlarged it equally all the way down AND if you have done an equal job on all your runners. They really help a lot. Your chambers look clean and shiny. And also your boots , although not for long on both counts.
                        Last edited by LJ851; 05-25-2011, 05:58 PM.
                        Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

You also might want to cc your combustion chamber volume. I have a kit that I bought for just that purpose when I finish the chambers in my stroker project.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                            Since you are enlarging your exhaust ports let me recommend you buy some cheapo telescoping bore gauges. They make it SO much easier to verify how much you have enlarged your runner and if you enlarged it equally all the way down AND if you have done an equal job on all your runners. They really help a lot. Your chambers look clean and shiny. And also your boots , although not for long on both counts.
                            Not really making them any bigger. Just using sanding drums to make them a bit smoother.

Originally posted by Justin B View Post
                            You also might want to cc your combustion chamber volume. I have a kit that I bought for just that purpose when I finish the chambers in my stroker project.
                            Ill hit you up about that when I get the head back from the shop in a few weeks.
                            sigpic

Comment

My new valves and springs are here!

In other news I got a speeding ticket a day ago at 1:10am for 69 in a 45. My fucking bad. I was in a rush to get home and now I have to pay. It is only my second moving violation ever. Drivers school here I come...
                              sigpic

Comment

Nice looking stuff! May I ask how much and where for the valves and springs?
                                sigpic
                                Originally posted by JinormusJ
                                Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
                                1989 325is Raged on then sold.
                                1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
                                1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
                                1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X