Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^
    Yep. So disappointed.
    How ever I want to add that i have gotten some really great stuff from Ireland, and that people should not steer away from their products all together. Every company sells a few things that suck, and these just happen to be one of Ireland's lesser quality items.
    sigpic
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Unless I'm missing something, this is solid info, backed up with ample evidence, that will help others avoid a costly mistake.

Those IE valves didn't look that bad until compared with the swiss ones from blunt. Who knows what grade of steel was used if they look like sintered metal on the valve faces? With all the counterfeit high grade bolts coming out of China, I wonder how IE would know if these meet specifications or not? IE will cease selling these, I hope.

Your machinist is a gem. I think you should buy him a beer and send me the bill.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by JinormusJ
      Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
      1989 325is Raged on then sold.
      1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
      1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
      1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

Yeah I am really happy with Tim at Morgan's Machine and Marine! Stand up shop with stand up guys.
        sigpic
        "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Nice work man! Keep it up! I'm excited to see this rollin with M20 powa soon!! Quick question for you though....how do you like those fixed back Corbeaus??? Are they comfortable? How are they for long drives?
          1989 325i|1992 325i|And completely obsessed|:woowoo:
          sigpic BMW. The Ultimate Driving Machine.
          The Build...

Comment

They are not for long drives. The farthest I have been in them is about an hour and a half northof SF and I don't care to go any farther in them.
            How ever they are great for spirited driving!!! Comfortable and snug. I am 6' 3" and about 200lb and they are good for me. Don't buy the Corbeau sliders. They kind of suck. I need to cut out the stock seat mounting points and weld in some lower ones. My seats are way to high for me right now.

Got a few odds and ends in the mail. Mr. Gasket hood pins. I am going to cut the section that holds the stock hood latch out of the engine bay so I have more room.
            I also got my Comp Cams Engine Assembly Lube for when the head is back.
            Last edited by deutschman; 06-10-2011, 05:52 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Lookin good as usual man. Im glad those valves were caught, that is terrible! The intake valve looks just like they cast a used carboned-up valve for that then machined the seat . Ugly

Comment

Just read all 18 pages.

All I have to say is DAMN!
                Can't wait to see this car rollin with the M20! keep up the good work.
                - '83 911SC
                - '86 325ES
                - '98 M3
                - '14 328d

Comment

Thanks guys.
                  sigpic

Comment

I was a little worried when I saw the veins in the top of some if the valves, not all of them had a bad finish. Can't say about the margin though, didn't even think to look. Glad your machinist caught it.
                    Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                    A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Look what I got from Tommy (stumble_t)! Great guy. For a small amount of $ I took these paper weights out of his hands. haha

4 10 e30 LSD. I am going to use only the LSD pumpkin in my stock 2002 case. If anyone wants any of the other parts, I will sell them at a nice low price to cover what I spent on the box of metal.

sigpic

Comment

I had a good long talk with Tim Over at Morgan's today. The valve guides I got from Blunt were not of the quality Tim wanted to use. That is not saying they could not be used and be fine. Tim just thought they could be better. He said the copper valve guides should be honed on the inside, and the ones I got were not. He could have honed them, but then they would have been to big for the valve stems.
                        On top of this, the seats in which the valve guides sit in my motor are eight thousandths larger then OE size. This means even if the valve guids I got from Blunt were super, they would not have fit anyways. This is very rare, and Tim says he has only seen it in about ten other BMW heads. he is not sure if this head came from the factory like this or if some one machined it this way some point later on.
                        How ever he has a set of guides that will fit. The ketch is they are $4/per on top of the ones I already have. They are custom made by Precision Engine Parts in Las Vegas out of manganese metal.
                        The other problem is that the valve seats have already been cut by the last person who did head work on this head. They did not do the best job on cutting the valve angles so my previously specified valve angles will change from 30, 45, 70 to 30, 45, 62. Tim thinks 62 is better then 70 anyways, and seeing as he has been doing this his whole life, he probably knows best. When and/or if you ever get your seats cut, make sure their machine can be adjusted in increments of tow and not ten. Other wise you will not get the angles you want.
                        I will have the head back Monday. Ill post back with updates, info, and pictures then. I am VERY excited about reassembling my motor again!
                        Then I plan on collecting my drive line parts, then the exhaust parts, and then all the other engine odds and ends such as mounts, hoses, sensors, clamps, and so on.
                        Fewwwww :yawn: this is more work and time then I had anticipated! lol
                        Last edited by deutschman; 06-15-2011, 08:00 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Got my head back from the shop today. Got my valve seals on, and one set of valves in. Getting the valves back in again is turning out to be much harder then getting them out. My lLisle Valve tool works great to get valves out, but it turns out it is crap for putting them back in again... at least on a dual spring set up.
                          I went to the auto parts store and borrowed a classic valves tool, which now belongs to me because I had to customized it with my Dremel to work the way I need it to work.
                          I ran out of nerves, the valves springs and tool were pissing me off, and I was cleaning up before I did any damage by working to quickly, when it happened. The head fell off of the bottom end while I was cleaning up, and my newly resurfaced head now has to good dings in it.
                          Yes it is dumb to work this way, but I need to remind you all I have no where ells to do this shit! I have no work bench in a nice well lit garage. All I have is a FUCKING shed with no lights and no power. FUCKING HATE IT!!!!
                          Anyways. Now that I am done ranting, I think it will be fine. The dings are not bad, and not in bad places. It is just not perfect anymore.

sigpic

Comment

So I spent most of yesterday at a BMW dealership. More on that later. I did get the head back together. I found the best way to get the valve springs and retainers in with the tool I had to work with was to stick the bottom spring retainer, springs, and the top retainer in the spring compressor and tighten it all down. Then stick it on the valve and insert the little lock things. Then pop, and bobs your uncle.

Head assembled.

Mock up.

I need a few little things to finish up the motor. Mostly studs, a header, and some more spray paint for the fuel rail and so on. I have dug my self into a bit of a hole money wise with this project, and work has ones again dropped out fro under me. Being a seasonal employee sucks!
                            I have plenty of small parts to paint and polish up while I wait for work, and pay off the thousand dollar credit I have. Its not much but I don't like to get in debt any more then that.

AND!

THE NEW DD!!! It is really my girls car, but I will get to drive it all the time, because she always has me drive her around everywhere. I am so stoked off this thing.
                            135i black on black with the sport package. It sounds really bad ass when you push it hard! I love the comfort key system where you can open and lock the car just by touching the door handle. It also lets you use the ignition button with out inserting the key.

I really want some LM reps for this car. I hope Ill have some by the end of the summer.
                            I really like these!

Yes it is an automatic, but again it is a SF car for my girl friend. SF has a lot of very steep hills, and I have to say some times it is very very nice to just cruse around with out having to shift all the time.
                            sigpic

Comment

The 135i looks perfect, why change the wheels? Of course, it is *your* car. Teehee. I'm jealous.

The head looks great, if I saw dings in the pics, they didn't seem bad. If they won't affect function, just try to forget about em, or consider them merit badges. I want an engine that nice!
                              sigpic
                              Originally posted by JinormusJ
                              Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
                              1989 325is Raged on then sold.
                              1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
                              1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
                              1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

Yeah the dings are really not a problem. I gave the whole head a good look and nothing important got hit. I kind of caught it on the way down.
                                You know a set of BBS LM's would look tits on the 135i. It will happen.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X