No announcement yet.

Old Blue 2002 (1974 BMW 2002 Content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did a few things today. Cleaned a few intake parts and painted the manifolds. Base coat of VHT super high temp primer, and then VHT super high temp aluminum. Sadly I must have ether put the paint on to fast, or just not waited long enough for them to dry, because when I picked them up to move them to a safe shelf the paint got fucked up. I guess I will just let them cure for a few weeks, and then give them a quick light sand to take the smudges out and a coat of paint.

Next weekend (my one day off every week :( ) I plan on switching the electronics from the m20 MAF to the m30 MAF.
    I need to make a BLUNT order.
    sigpic
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

^ That paint does not "dry". It must be cured by heat.
      Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Will get hard enough to handle? I said something on the bottle about running the painted part on your motor at idle twice for 20 minutes and then one for a period of time at normal driving conditions, but if it does not even get dry enough to handle how do you bolt the manifolds up?
        sigpic
        "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Says here the paint dries before curing. So I just put it on to thick to fast, or did not let it dry long enough. The curing is done after drying.

On the Vehicle

Paint must be completely dry before curing
          Run at idle for 10 minutes
          Cool for 20 minutes
          Run at idle for 20 minutes
          Cool for 20 minutes
          Run under normal operating conditions for 30 minutes
          sigpic

Comment

Just going off experience, I painted the stock muffers on my Ducati with that paint (in black) and it never got hot enough to cure.
            Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Not much heat gets to the tail pipes. The exhaust coming out of the head is fucking hot. I think it should do the trick.
              My problem here is not the paint curing, it was not dry period. I just did not let it sit long enough before touching it and the paint got smudged.

Paint must be completely dry before curing
              Heat to 250°F (121°C) for 30 minutes
              Cool for 30 minutes
              Heat to 400°F (204°C) for 30 minutes
              Cool for 30 minutes
              Heat to 650°F (343°C ) for 30 minutes

Do your tail pipes reach 650F?
              sigpic

Comment

Just take a propane torch to them, it will cure them in 5 min.
                Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Good & Tight View Post
                  Just take a propane torch to them, it will cure them in 5 min.
                  You pulling my leg? Paint wont blister?
                  If I try this and it fucks up the paint I am sending you a frozen Pug poop :D
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
                    Not much heat gets to the tail pipes.

Do your tail pipes reach 650F?
                    No that was my problem, every time they got hot it turned to goo. There is a reason they label it header paint not exhaust paint. It also was pretty tacky even when "dry", it needs to cure. Just trying to help.

Otis is prob right, i doubt it cares how it gets hot (propane torch) it just needs to.
                    Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Got'cha.
                      sigpic

Comment

D man,

I just got an 02. 76 square tail

Comment

i want an 02 ... but i cant afford one on my college budget lol. but keep up that great work man, i love it!

Comment

Originally posted by FL318is View Post
                            D man,

I just got an 02. 76 square tail
                            Fun. Hope you live in a smog friendly state. Those '76's dont like to pass emissions tests. Do a turbo m42! :D

Originally posted by dnick View Post
                            i want an 02 ... but i cant afford one on my college budget lol. but keep up that great work man, i love it!
                            I have been doing this while going to college and working my ass off. Then again I go to culinary school so I am guessing it costs a few thousand less then where ever you are. I think having something depends on how much you want it. I want this really badly so I make sacrifices and work really hard to keep it. I should be done with school this December. ;)
                            sigpic

Comment

yeah, lol that could be a factor. soooo does that mean updates alll the time? ;) hahahah

Comment

Getting some parts in from Blunt soon. Should be ordering all the rest of my exhaust stuff in a few weeks. Then I need to get my fly wheel lightened, get a short shift kit, cluch slave, painless wiring kit, and then I'll have all my parts!!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X